Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

I'm trying to filter out a number of IP address under Access Restrictions --> IP Address Filtering, but I get a pop up saying that every IP address I enter is invalid..  Anyone else have the same problem?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm still less than impressed with the Rogers service, and the DPC3825 only exacerbates the situation. After discovering that the wireless strength is atrocious, DH and I attempted to do as many others on this board have done: Place the router into bridged mode and set-up our own router. This greatly improved our coverage throughout the house; I was even able to stream Netflix in the sewing room upstairs without any difficulty.

As we started to add more of our wireless devices to the network, however, we began to note that we were unable to connect more than 5 devices. The moment that we added a 6th -- one of our tablets -- one other device (usually a phone) was forced off to accommodate the tablet. We tested settings, making sure everything on the router was set properly, but nothing could fix it. We thought we had a crappy router, so we replaced it... only to have the exact same problem with the next router. It seemed as though the modem just wouldn't handle the bandwidth of that many devices then, either, dropping connection entirely, almost as though it had been flooded. Unplugging the router and reactivating the DPC3825, we were able to connect as many devices as we needed without anything being forced off.

We were still in need of more signal strength, however, so we invested in a Cisco range extender. It works... mostly. We're able to use the extended wi-fi connection in the bedroom with only the occasional signal drop; the connections for our smart TVs can be a little...finicky, though. I'd be happier with a better gateway... and maybe another service provider. Unfortunately, I'm not likely to get either one.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. thats odd, i have never heard of people having issues with # of devices (in bridged)

Now, i may have a PARTIAL solution.. again, not the BEST, like a WORKING gateway..  but may work.

You would want to set up a similar solution to what i am doing here.

Since you seem to have pretty good luck with the gateway and the # of devices (compared to bridged), the trick may be to leave the gateway in its gateway mode.  But turn off the wireless on it.
So it is really acting as a modem and wired only router at this point (serving DHCP, etc).

Now with your other wireless router, you will want to configure it NOT connected to the rest first.  In the setup, you will want to set ITS ip, instead of 192.168.0.1, so say 0.2 (so it doesnt conflict with the gateway), leave it set to auto, etc.  Turn OFF DHCP on it. (since the gateway will be doing this).  From the gateway, then plug into the router, but into one of the routers LAN ports instead of the WAN.

You pretty much make the wireless router into an access point.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

We tried this, too, with similar results, leading me to conclude that the modem was the choke point in this configuration....Which is a shame because I *really* like my WD router.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

it SHOULDNT be the modem, as it would STILL be the choke point, when there is NOTHING else on the network, and you say it seems to work fine.

I am currently on the SMC, but did have the Cisco prior to it (had to switch to the SMC for the home monitoring setup).

I had 2 laptops, 2 phones, 2 wired PCs, and 2-3 other pieces of equipement (surround sound, tv, etc) all connected in my above config.. and never had an issue with it choking anything out.
Mind you i had a linksys router.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

It should not he the Cisco... I have two Cisco DPC3825. One is in bridged mode, another is in gateway mode. Both of them have a lot of both wireless and wired devices connected and I never experienced problems you described.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Could one you guys with a DPC3825 look at the bottom of the modem and provide me the FCC ID? I'd like to look at it's documents on the FCC site. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

With my DPC3825, I have shut of wireless since it was so bad.  I have 2 PC's wired to the back, 1 port for my d-link dir825, and 1 empty.  I did not call in to request bridged mode... but my d-link works great for the last year.  Reception in my backyard is not great so I wanted to add a second d-link dir645 to the last port on dpc3825.  I ran a network cable to the back of the house (30 feet) and connected it to the 2nd wireless router... it seemed to work for the first few hours... but then both wireless networks kept loosing internet connection.  Is it possible to add the 2nd router?  Do I need to configure the 2 routers in some way to have them operate on the network?  Is it the DPC3825?

All help is appreciated.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Steve. I have some ideas/info for you to try, but do not have the time to reply it all right now. I will post it later today/this evening hopefully.

Just to confirm before then.
You are NOT in bridged mode, but using your dlink just plugged in
No config changes other than wireless security settings?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OK, no answer, so going off some assumptions here.. can reply back after, and i can tweek my answer again after that 🙂

Ok, you are in NON bridged mode, and have your router conected.

Since you havent said so, i am GUESSING this may be set up in a way that works, but may not be 'proper'

By default, the rogers gateways, are set up when in GATEWAY mode, as a router, and assign the addresses via DHCP, usualy in the 192.168.0.X range.

Now, some people have got theirs to work, by putting their own router into the gateway, then into the WAN port on the router.. but the router is set up also as a 2nd DHCP server.. usualy for it to work, its in the other default range that some some with of 192.168.1.X. 

Assuming the above.. if you are adding that 2nd router, it would likely be conflicting with either the gateways DHCP server, or the routers one.. and thats whats causing the issues.  All in all, its not a great idea to have multiple DHCP servers, etc.  Both may be trying to assign an address, etc.

---------------------------------

Personaly, i would set it up this way.  This DOES NOT include using bridged mode, as its easier to do it with using the gateway as  WIRED ROUTER/DHCP server.

A) Turn off the wireless on your gateway.. no need to have it on if it is.. just extra interfearance.

B) Keep the DHCP server ON there.. and make sure you know what the IP is of it, and what it will be assigning.  Lets for this example use 192.168.0.1

C) Configure router 1.  You want to do this, pluged into it, but it not plugged into the gateway, yet.  In that router, you will want to set ITS own IP, to something in the range of 192.168.0.X, for ease of use, lets say 192.168.0.2.

You will want to turn the DHCP OFF on this one.  It will get its address from gateways.

On your wireless, set up your SSID, password, etc.. and set the channel to the LOWEST (1) (so we dont have an overlap of wireless signals for interfearance)

You can then plug it in.. but you dont want to plug it into the WAN.  Just plug it into one of the regular wired ports on the router. (in this config, wont work through the WAN)

D) Configure router 2.  Pretty much the same.  You want to turn DHCP off, etc.. but set it to another address, say 192.168.0.3.
On this one, you can actually set the SAME SSID as the other one.. but change the channel to the highest.  Make sure the passwords are the SAME.  While there may be some bit of delay when going between the two routers, it shouldnt need to log in, switch routers etc.

Plug this one in, the same as the other.

----------------------

Hopefully this setup will help/work.

I am pretty much using this setup and home, and had it running on the Cisco gateway (i am not on the SMC, but same setup).

(I also manager a network as part of my daily work, with 6 wireless access points, etc.. and all in all, its pretty much the same setup, just on a biger scale)