cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Preliminary reports seem to be coming out as far as the new Cisco DPC3825 Gateway from Rogers. From what I have read, the modem works fine but the router may even be worse than the SMC! Can someone from Rogers confirm this? 

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who is using this new gateway? How does it compare with the SMC? Is it as bad as what I am reading so far on-line? 

Finally, if the new CISCO is no better than the SMC, will Rogers finally consider approving a stand alone DOCSIS3 modem?

***edited labels***

249 REPLIES 249

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

@GraceMemme:

I would like to answer your question, but I need some context: to what do you refer when you say "source port".

skinorth

Happy9
I've Been Around

Hi I exchanged the old modem to DPC3825.

Internet is working on my desktop. I have 2 laptops. One is working, but the other is not connected.

Technician told I need to pay to resolve the problem. ($49.xx)

Becasue every laptop worked without any problem, I told him the help should be free.

Anyway, in my case, do I have to change DPC3825 to bridge mode?

I used the old Rogers modem and a router before I exchanged.

Thanks in advance.

Happy9

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
The $50 thing as because they don't really troubleshoot any pc problems, outside making sure the gateway is working. That fee would e for their other tech support, like geek squad type of thing.

As to your issue, guessing both of the laptops are on wireless? What exactly happens when you try to connect? (What failures/errors)

One option in the long run would be to put in bridged mode , giving you the same setup as before, if you know your laptop worked with that router.

Jay222
I've Been Around

Just made an account to reply to this thread and others I have seen regarding the DPC3825 dropping connections - I had the same issue and I started troubleshooting it. After ruling out everything else equipment wise I knew the problem had to be with the wifi on the DPC3825, wired worked fine, I had multiple laptops with different hardware all with the same issue.

I changed everything possible on this modem, but the one thing that fixed it for me was to set the Beacon interval to 50 (default is 100). Login to the modem, go to Wireless then Advanced Settings, then you can set the Beacon interval there.

My best guess is that the modem was timing out intermittently so reducing this interval seems to be keeping it up (maybe it was entering a power saving mode before or something I don't know). Hopefully this works for someone else 🙂

Jeremy

wfgjoh
I've Been Around

I too have just changed from the older SMC modem/router to Hitron to the Cisco DPC3825.

The day the speed was changed in Nov 2012, my problem started. That was the time I started using DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Every day my internet will slow and get congested. VOIP phone calls are terrible, speedtest will give crappy slow connection results.....

I called tech support many times and had a tech visit to home, but never had the problem solved. Everytime I do the reset by pulling the power line and connection back after 1 minute, the modem will start giving fantastic speed and test results. As the day progresses, the speed will reduce and VOIP will become terrible. All these are on top of wifi connections from router part. Never I had the wifi working without disconnecting many times in an hour and no wifi after 10 feet usually. Tech support suspected virus on computer, but I have Norton 360 running on all computers and they are fully protected. Plerase someone give me a solution so that I do not have to reset the modem daily to get speed and better VOIP service.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
While it may not fix it, it's worth a try. If you have not done so yet, I would try bridged mode, with a 3rd party router attached.

The wireless issue will never be fixable. The wireless on these are all aful, and drop. A seperate router will fix that.
And putting it in bridged, will sometimes fix the other issues you have experienced.

Frazzled
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@wfgjoh wrote:

I too have just changed from the older SMC modem/router to Hitron to the Cisco DPC3825.

The day the speed was changed in Nov 2012, my problem started. That was the time I started using DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Every day my internet will slow and get congested. VOIP phone calls are terrible, speedtest will give crappy slow connection results.....

I called tech support many times and had a tech visit to home, but never had the problem solved. Everytime I do the reset by pulling the power line and connection back after 1 minute, the modem will start giving fantastic speed and test results. As the day progresses, the speed will reduce and VOIP will become terrible. All these are on top of wifi connections from router part. Never I had the wifi working without disconnecting many times in an hour and no wifi after 10 feet usually. Tech support suspected virus on computer, but I have Norton 360 running on all computers and they are fully protected. Plerase someone give me a solution so that I do not have to reset the modem daily to get speed and better VOIP service.

There really is nothing you can do to fix these total piece of garbage modems. I doubt there is a virus on your computer, but Rogers tech support is so useless that they have to tell you something to deflect the blame from them. There are only two solutions. The first is for Rogers to provide a decent modem, but due to their total non-willingness to provide decent equipment for their customers, this is not likely to happen. That leaves you with solution number 2 as suggested by Gdkitty - have the modem placed into bridge mode and use your own router. You still wind up paying an extra $4 per month for a non functioning router from Rogers, but at least you will have decent Wi-Fi! 

Mo_C
I've Been Here Awhile

I just connect a small cooling fan on USB(come from old PS2 console), and put the fun on top of heatsink. no more restart for 2 months till now.

Mo_C
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm sure it's overheat, install a small fan, everything will back to normal.

@wfgjoh wrote:

There really is nothing you can do to fix these total piece of garbage modems. I doubt there is a virus on your computer, but Rogers tech support is so useless that they have to tell you something to deflect the blame from them. There are only two solutions. The first is for Rogers to provide a decent modem, but due to their total non-willingness to provide decent equipment for their customers, this is not likely to happen. That leaves you with solution number 2 as suggested by Gdkitty - have the modem placed into bridge mode and use your own router. You still wind up paying an extra $4 per month for a non functioning router from Rogers, but at least you will have decent Wi-Fi! 

Skorint
I've Been Around

I was very annoyed with having to remove the router feature .  But it is really easy --- plug in your Rogers

Easy Connect Key and go to settings.  Use the advanced setting which will take you to Cisco and you can disable "wireless"

Voila! You now have a modem only and can use whatever other Router you may have.

GordOh
I Plan to Stick Around

Preliminary reports - ha - the DPC3825 is a piece of crap - shame on Rogers for continuing to give them to unsuspecting client, as of mid-2013. 

If you insist on staying with rogers, keep the dpc3825 as a modem and pick up a Linksys router. 

Crazygixxerdude
I've Been Around
My smc gateway started crapping out. Had to hard reset it a few time a day. Rogers replaced if with the Cisco gateway and now wifi is way weak and there's no way to increase the signal strength like the smc. I have a huge dead spot now where the old smc had no problem covering.

Just supply a modem and let people use there own routers!!

I 110% agree that they should suply a modem only as well as an option.

At least in the mean time, you can put any of the units into BRIDGED mode (efectively turning it into a modem), and use your own router with it currently. (like you would with your own modem)

JoeP5312
I've Been Around

I'm trying to filter out a number of IP address under Access Restrictions --> IP Address Filtering, but I get a pop up saying that every IP address I enter is invalid..  Anyone else have the same problem?

hrhmrsbrown
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm still less than impressed with the Rogers service, and the DPC3825 only exacerbates the situation. After discovering that the wireless strength is atrocious, DH and I attempted to do as many others on this board have done: Place the router into bridged mode and set-up our own router. This greatly improved our coverage throughout the house; I was even able to stream Netflix in the sewing room upstairs without any difficulty.

As we started to add more of our wireless devices to the network, however, we began to note that we were unable to connect more than 5 devices. The moment that we added a 6th -- one of our tablets -- one other device (usually a phone) was forced off to accommodate the tablet. We tested settings, making sure everything on the router was set properly, but nothing could fix it. We thought we had a crappy router, so we replaced it... only to have the exact same problem with the next router. It seemed as though the modem just wouldn't handle the bandwidth of that many devices then, either, dropping connection entirely, almost as though it had been flooded. Unplugging the router and reactivating the DPC3825, we were able to connect as many devices as we needed without anything being forced off.

We were still in need of more signal strength, however, so we invested in a Cisco range extender. It works... mostly. We're able to use the extended wi-fi connection in the bedroom with only the occasional signal drop; the connections for our smart TVs can be a little...finicky, though. I'd be happier with a better gateway... and maybe another service provider. Unfortunately, I'm not likely to get either one.

Hmm.. thats odd, i have never heard of people having issues with # of devices (in bridged)

Now, i may have a PARTIAL solution.. again, not the BEST, like a WORKING gateway..  but may work.

You would want to set up a similar solution to what i am doing here.

Since you seem to have pretty good luck with the gateway and the # of devices (compared to bridged), the trick may be to leave the gateway in its gateway mode.  But turn off the wireless on it.
So it is really acting as a modem and wired only router at this point (serving DHCP, etc).

Now with your other wireless router, you will want to configure it NOT connected to the rest first.  In the setup, you will want to set ITS ip, instead of 192.168.0.1, so say 0.2 (so it doesnt conflict with the gateway), leave it set to auto, etc.  Turn OFF DHCP on it. (since the gateway will be doing this).  From the gateway, then plug into the router, but into one of the routers LAN ports instead of the WAN.

You pretty much make the wireless router into an access point.

hrhmrsbrown
I Plan to Stick Around

We tried this, too, with similar results, leading me to conclude that the modem was the choke point in this configuration....Which is a shame because I *really* like my WD router.

it SHOULDNT be the modem, as it would STILL be the choke point, when there is NOTHING else on the network, and you say it seems to work fine.

I am currently on the SMC, but did have the Cisco prior to it (had to switch to the SMC for the home monitoring setup).

I had 2 laptops, 2 phones, 2 wired PCs, and 2-3 other pieces of equipement (surround sound, tv, etc) all connected in my above config.. and never had an issue with it choking anything out.
Mind you i had a linksys router.

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

It should not he the Cisco... I have two Cisco DPC3825. One is in bridged mode, another is in gateway mode. Both of them have a lot of both wireless and wired devices connected and I never experienced problems you described.

Gurkamal
I Plan to Stick Around

Could one you guys with a DPC3825 look at the bottom of the modem and provide me the FCC ID? I'd like to look at it's documents on the FCC site. Smiley Happy

Steve564
I've Been Here Awhile

With my DPC3825, I have shut of wireless since it was so bad.  I have 2 PC's wired to the back, 1 port for my d-link dir825, and 1 empty.  I did not call in to request bridged mode... but my d-link works great for the last year.  Reception in my backyard is not great so I wanted to add a second d-link dir645 to the last port on dpc3825.  I ran a network cable to the back of the house (30 feet) and connected it to the 2nd wireless router... it seemed to work for the first few hours... but then both wireless networks kept loosing internet connection.  Is it possible to add the 2nd router?  Do I need to configure the 2 routers in some way to have them operate on the network?  Is it the DPC3825?

All help is appreciated.