Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Just made an account to reply to this thread and others I have seen regarding the DPC3825 dropping connections - I had the same issue and I started troubleshooting it. After ruling out everything else equipment wise I knew the problem had to be with the wifi on the DPC3825, wired worked fine, I had multiple laptops with different hardware all with the same issue.

I changed everything possible on this modem, but the one thing that fixed it for me was to set the Beacon interval to 50 (default is 100). Login to the modem, go to Wireless then Advanced Settings, then you can set the Beacon interval there.

My best guess is that the modem was timing out intermittently so reducing this interval seems to be keeping it up (maybe it was entering a power saving mode before or something I don't know). Hopefully this works for someone else 🙂

Jeremy

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I too have just changed from the older SMC modem/router to Hitron to the Cisco DPC3825.

The day the speed was changed in Nov 2012, my problem started. That was the time I started using DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Every day my internet will slow and get congested. VOIP phone calls are terrible, speedtest will give crappy slow connection results.....

I called tech support many times and had a tech visit to home, but never had the problem solved. Everytime I do the reset by pulling the power line and connection back after 1 minute, the modem will start giving fantastic speed and test results. As the day progresses, the speed will reduce and VOIP will become terrible. All these are on top of wifi connections from router part. Never I had the wifi working without disconnecting many times in an hour and no wifi after 10 feet usually. Tech support suspected virus on computer, but I have Norton 360 running on all computers and they are fully protected. Plerase someone give me a solution so that I do not have to reset the modem daily to get speed and better VOIP service.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While it may not fix it, it's worth a try. If you have not done so yet, I would try bridged mode, with a 3rd party router attached.

The wireless issue will never be fixable. The wireless on these are all aful, and drop. A seperate router will fix that.
And putting it in bridged, will sometimes fix the other issues you have experienced.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@wfgjoh wrote:

I too have just changed from the older SMC modem/router to Hitron to the Cisco DPC3825.

The day the speed was changed in Nov 2012, my problem started. That was the time I started using DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Every day my internet will slow and get congested. VOIP phone calls are terrible, speedtest will give crappy slow connection results.....

I called tech support many times and had a tech visit to home, but never had the problem solved. Everytime I do the reset by pulling the power line and connection back after 1 minute, the modem will start giving fantastic speed and test results. As the day progresses, the speed will reduce and VOIP will become terrible. All these are on top of wifi connections from router part. Never I had the wifi working without disconnecting many times in an hour and no wifi after 10 feet usually. Tech support suspected virus on computer, but I have Norton 360 running on all computers and they are fully protected. Plerase someone give me a solution so that I do not have to reset the modem daily to get speed and better VOIP service.

There really is nothing you can do to fix these total piece of garbage modems. I doubt there is a virus on your computer, but Rogers tech support is so useless that they have to tell you something to deflect the blame from them. There are only two solutions. The first is for Rogers to provide a decent modem, but due to their total non-willingness to provide decent equipment for their customers, this is not likely to happen. That leaves you with solution number 2 as suggested by Gdkitty - have the modem placed into bridge mode and use your own router. You still wind up paying an extra $4 per month for a non functioning router from Rogers, but at least you will have decent Wi-Fi! 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just connect a small cooling fan on USB(come from old PS2 console), and put the fun on top of heatsink. no more restart for 2 months till now.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm sure it's overheat, install a small fan, everything will back to normal.

@wfgjoh wrote:

There really is nothing you can do to fix these total piece of garbage modems. I doubt there is a virus on your computer, but Rogers tech support is so useless that they have to tell you something to deflect the blame from them. There are only two solutions. The first is for Rogers to provide a decent modem, but due to their total non-willingness to provide decent equipment for their customers, this is not likely to happen. That leaves you with solution number 2 as suggested by Gdkitty - have the modem placed into bridge mode and use your own router. You still wind up paying an extra $4 per month for a non functioning router from Rogers, but at least you will have decent Wi-Fi! 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I was very annoyed with having to remove the router feature .  But it is really easy --- plug in your Rogers

Easy Connect Key and go to settings.  Use the advanced setting which will take you to Cisco and you can disable "wireless"

Voila! You now have a modem only and can use whatever other Router you may have.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Preliminary reports - ha - the DPC3825 is a piece of crap - shame on Rogers for continuing to give them to unsuspecting client, as of mid-2013. 

If you insist on staying with rogers, keep the dpc3825 as a modem and pick up a Linksys router. 

I've Been Around

My smc gateway started crapping out. Had to hard reset it a few time a day. Rogers replaced if with the Cisco gateway and now wifi is way weak and there's no way to increase the signal strength like the smc. I have a huge dead spot now where the old smc had no problem covering.

Just supply a modem and let people use there own routers!!
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I 110% agree that they should suply a modem only as well as an option.

At least in the mean time, you can put any of the units into BRIDGED mode (efectively turning it into a modem), and use your own router with it currently. (like you would with your own modem)