Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Yes bell uses gateway/modem combos as well. Though I have not had any of my friends complain about them except for the ridiculous wifi password that none of them seem to know how to change.
Slayer
I'm Here A Lot

This is the model router I have, and I was wondering if anyone knows how to do a 'release IP' command on this router?

I heard we should do this before turning off the router overnight if we want a new IP address. Does this still work?

Can we change our Media Access Control address or something? Do IP leases last 24 hours and that's the length we need to be disconnected?

hrhmrsbrown
I Plan to Stick Around

I've posted over on DSLreports as well, so I figured I'd give this a go, too...

My husband and I moved to Newfoundland from the States a few months ago. Both gamers, we upgraded the account to the "ultimate" service for both speed and monthly use. This, of course, meant we were given the dreaded DPC3825.

Initial setup was okay. It functions as well as can be expected for a rental unit, but the wireless signal strength is crap. To remedy this, we plugged a D-Link router into one of the ports, and simply allowed the modem to continue as the DHCP server. With this solution, however, we soon discovered that we were unable to support more than 7 devices on the network -- adding an 8th required disconnection or dropping of one of the devices already connected. My best guess is that the router was acting as a funnel, and eventually became a choke point.

To remedy this, we put the 3825 into bridged mode, and plugged the router in, setting it up properly as a router. This worked, allowing us to connect all of our devices at once. The catch was that I started to see "limited access" issues intermittently for my wireless connection on my desktop -- usually when doing heavy surfing, watching vids, or playing World of Warcraft. My husband, connected via cable, hasn't had this issue.

After a week or so of getting disconnected in mid-instance, we exchanged the D-Link router for a Western Digital. The intermittent connection issues have continued, however: I remain connected to the wifi, but still periodically have "limited access" -- i.e. no internet connection.

Continuing troubleshooting, I've changed the channel; prioritized the packet scheduling on the router; and replaced the network card in my desktop, upgrading from a G to an N. The issue still remains, and I'm running out of options here. Router logs and observation seems to indicate that the issues arise when the encryption handshake goes out to all devices on the network. Given that we've now tried two different routers from two different manufacturers and still have this problem, I can't help but wonder if it's (1) connected to the intermittent connection (T3 timeout) issues mentioned in a previous post, (2) a problem with the 3825 not playing well with the other kids, (3) an unknown issue with my computer, or (4) a combination of any of the above.

Usage-wise, I don't believe we're doing too much at once: We game together, so we are usually on WoW at the same time. Otherwise, we're generally not using much bandwidth at once -- i.e. we're not watching Netflix while trying to game. And both routers purchased have been mid-to-high-level devices, more than capable of handling the traffic.

This afternoon, I took the WD router out of the equation and reset the 3825 to act as both modem and router. Aside from a DNS issue about two hours ago, the connection has been stable. If using the 3825 is the solution, I'll live with it. But I'm out the cost of a good router (with great features) that *should* work and will have to rely a substandard product and a range extender to provide coverage for a moderately-sized 3 bedroom house.

Definitely missing my US provider and equipment right now, 'cause this? Is just sad.

-- Mrs. B.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. that does sound odd..

I was using the model, with a linkys router, and had 2 wired PCs, 2 laptops, 4 phones, one wireless Tv, 2 networked other devices without an issue.. so # might have been the router itself for soem reason for you..  but that doesnt account for the drops.

The timeout issues, i have read up for, for another person on another post on here.. this seems to happen to some people across the board in both canada and US, on both D2 and D3 series modems... most of the conclusions seem to be that its in oversold areas for that provider, that when the modem is trying to get a reply, it gets a timeout, and resets to try and get it again.

hrhmrsbrown
I Plan to Stick Around

In the States, we run 9 devices in a 3500 sq. ft. home without our wireless network breaking a sweat. Of course, we're on fiber, and running with a 2Wire router/modem combo device. There are no range extenders, no additional APs. While the 2Wire boxes have had mixed reviews, we've rarely had issue with our unit or the network. Prior to this, we had Time Warner/Comcast. Their service worked fine, but got a little expensive for what they were offering...not unlike Rogers.

Here, we're attempting to run 9 devices, with the occasional guest. Most of the time, everything but the PCs are simply running "stay alive" connections -- i.e. not using a lot of data because we're not actively using them all at the same time. I can somewhat understand there being a choke point in using the router like a wireless switch; having this issue using it as a router, I just don't get. Especially when it appears the home network is working fine, and the connection outside is what's failing.

It *is* possible that I'm in an oversold area -- this part of the peninsula is growing faster than most predicted, so it's putting a strain on the infrastructure. The associated timeouts would explain some of the stuff I'm seeing in the logs -- from both the WD and the DCP3825. I'm also in an area where the throttling hasn't been rolled back yet, either. It's one of those instances where I wish there were another option. Unfortunately, Bell is the closest, and until they're able to roll fiber out here, it's not that viable; mobile hotspots just aren't going to cut it.

For now, the 3825 is working, and the range extender I added in today is doing its job. Like most Rogers customers on this forum, however, I think I'd much prefer a plain D3 modem and supply my own router, which would provide me much more control over my own network. I find it patently ridiculous that the option isn't available. In gaming parlance, I'd call that an epic fail.

-- Mrs. B.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are many on here that would agree with you on here. Especially IHR 🙂

The only thing I have really heard, is that they wanted to try and consolidate the hardware. They started to provide the gateways so customer with no tech knoledge have little to set up. But for people like us who want the more advanced setups, get a little high and dry.
All we can do is keep voicing our opinions, and hopefully they will listen, and help users with the best setup they can with what is currently available.

Glad to see another wow player :). Excited about tues? 🙂

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:
They started to provide the gateways so customer with no tech knoledge have little to set up. 

Thanks for the honourable mention Gdkitty! Cat Wink

I understand the logic behind the gateway. I do not think that Rogers realized in advance though how terrible the wifi would be on these modems, though by now, they should be well aware. For the customer with little tech knowledge, it is quite likely much more difficult to solve the problems created by the gateways than it would be to use a stand alone modem with your own router. Many people, if you tell them to put the modem into bridge mode, think you are speaking a foreign language. This is where Rogers has failed their customers and their arrogance in continuing to authorize only gateway modems despite the associated problems, is truly unfortunate!

SSED
I've Been Around

Hi GDkitty ,

so I have Turned the wireless off on rogers router.

Installed my Nrouter (D-Link DIR-655), but cannot connect to internet!!!!!

what have I done wrong..what settings to change on the Router ???

Thanks

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You have two choices.. you can change the gateway into BRIDGED mode, this will efectively turn it into a modem.. and your router should get its info, etc from it.

If you dont want to fool around with that part, you can do it by letting the gatway still do the DHCP assigning, and just using the dlink as a wireless access point.  the only thing with setting it up this way, you dont plug a wire into the WAN port on the dlink, you just plug it from the gateway into one of the 4 lan ports on it.
Now, by default, your gateway will be set as an IP of 192.168.0.1, which is likely the SAME as what your dlink is set to.  You will want to change your router, to be say .2 instead.... and make sure to turn off DHCP on the router as well.

Mbm
I Plan to Stick Around

Impressed there are so many knowledgable people here. I hope someone can help me

I have the Cisco 3825 which rogers recommended I use (instead of old motorola pls my d link extreme n router) )when I complained about slow speeds. Since then I have had the following problems:

-many rooms detect a signal (per the number of bars on the devices)but cannot stream or open web pages

-dropped internet connection or inconsistent one where it connects then annot open pages.

I did not have the problem with range that I seem to have when I used teh motorola modem  and my d link router.

I have 2 laptops, one desk top, 2 iphones an ipad and apple tv.

My questions are

1) should I try to convert the cisco combo router modem to a modem only by bridging?

2) shoull I consider a signal booseter?

3) are there special settings or considerations given taht I have many apple products?

4) I have a baby monitor. Don't know the frequency and can't change its channle. IS this an issue?

Any insight would be great!

thanks in advance