cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Preliminary reports seem to be coming out as far as the new Cisco DPC3825 Gateway from Rogers. From what I have read, the modem works fine but the router may even be worse than the SMC! Can someone from Rogers confirm this? 

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who is using this new gateway? How does it compare with the SMC? Is it as bad as what I am reading so far on-line? 

Finally, if the new CISCO is no better than the SMC, will Rogers finally consider approving a stand alone DOCSIS3 modem?

***edited labels***

249 REPLIES 249

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Gateway

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Eddy

We're you using your own router before with the old modem?

Stand alone routers seem to have a much larger range and much better wireless than the Cisco. This is why many switch it to bridged mode and use their own.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

To back up what Gdkitty has stated, the D3 gateway modems supplied by Rogers are well noted for their poor wireless range and their dropped connections. Since you had no problems before eddy, I would have your Cisco put into bridge mode (disables the router) which then allows you to hook up your own router. BTW - the older D2 modems are capable of download speeds of up to 38 Mbps which would be good enough for all Internet plans except Ultimate. It is not the modem that is not capable of the higher speeds. It is Rogers who refuses to provide a higher speed than 10 Mbps if you still have a D2 modem!

recommend you map your network drive There is software for this on your install disk The network drive is there but the computer can not acces it asd it does not know what the drive letter is

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@ryeo wrote:

recommend you map your network drive There is software for this on your install disk The network drive is there but the computer can not acces it asd it does not know what the drive letter is

Not sure what this has to do with the problem experienced by eddyboy99. He is experiencing a dropped connection (and likely poor wireless range with the Rogers gateway). This means he is connecting but the connection is not lasting which has nothing to do at all with the computer not knowing what the drive letter is. It has everything to do with the Rogers modem!

westhead74
I'm Here A Lot

Hi folks,

I had a Rogers tech install the 3825 for me this past weekend after moving into a new place.

I checked my connection with various 11n adapters and only seem to be maxing out at 140MBs. I then logged in to the web interface and under wireless setup (after setting to manual), can only see b/g mixed under mode and no "n" option.

Transmission is set to auto - do I need to set it to 270 for N to kick in or is this a bigger problem that requires a call to Rogers?

Thanks!

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I recently fot Cisco 3825 gateway and was able to quickly reprogram it to Bridge mode myself, without calling Rogers. I switched of DHCP server and Wireless and connected D-Link DIR-657 router. No problems so far. The gateway operating in "just a modem" mode. All the rest is handled by a router.

imchant
I'm Here A Lot

Hi guys, the wifi range of my cisco gateway is very weak.  I'm planning on getting a separate router.  My questions is, can I buy any router to connect to the Cisco DPC3825 or do I have to get one that is specifically compatible with it? 

I don't know a lot about routers at all, but I was thinking of getting this one: TRENDnet TEW-711BR  What do you think of it? It's pretty cheap but I'm not sure if it would give me good wifi signals.

- Thx

Any router should connect to it fine.

You will just want to make sure you switch the gateway into bridged mode.

Thanks!  I might buy that router then.  The cisco router is really weak.

Dedish
I've Been Around

This modem is complete trash. I have the ultimate internet service. About 5 or 6 months ago I had to have my modem replaced because it seems rogers in their infinite wisdom gave me a faulty modem which would randomly stop working for about a day every few days. They brought me the Cisco DPC3825.

Last week my internet stops working, so I do the whole unplug it for 20 seconds thing before I call knowing they're going to tell me to do it anyways, nothing. So I call, guy tells me there seems to be no problem with my internet, resets the modem and whatever else they do. When I check my computer it says no ethernet cable attached when there clearly is one. So I try 3 different cables and get the same thing. He has me check my device manager to check to see if ehternet card is working, which I had already did and it was working but do it again to appease him, same result device is working properly. So he places a order for the tech to come out and replace my modem.

so right around the time the tech should be showig up I disconnect my modem and unplug so he can take it and give me a new one. about a hour or so later the guy comes in plugs my current modem back into a different outlet and bam it works and looks at me like I am mentally challanged.

Last night same thing happened again, the guy on the phone has me go through the usual routine, check my device manager for network card which guess what..... it is working properly, then tells me he wants me to uninstall my network card.... which I'm iffy on. I explain to him that I had this problem and he told me some crap about modem being plugged into power and dirty connections and that is why it worked when it was plugged into another outlet. Well the modem was still plugged in there yet for some reason it is telling me there is no enternet connection and even all the ethernet lights on modem are orange. So he trys to convince me it is a problem with my computer, which obviously it is not, if that was the case it wouldn't have started working the last time and in all honesty I am going to believe my device manager if it tells me a device is working properly over some guy reading from a script or book. So he books a new appointment for me for the next day/ today.  So frustrated I unplug modem from the wall go outside for a smoke and wonder if when I go back upstairs if I plug it in to a different outlet if it will work. Guess what, plugging it into yet ANOTHER outlet seems to have worked. Clearly this has to be a issue with the modem itself. What are you going to tell me now that the wall outlet is a dirty connection...not just one but two different ones.....come on.

So tomorrow the guy is going to come and hopefully modem will still be working but I am going to demand a new one regardless. I called back and gexplained to the new guy everything and even he said it was likely the modem itself or not my computer, that if it was in fact my net work card plugging it in some where else or changing the modem wouldn't suddenly make the card work again magiclly. 

Seeing as this is going to be my 3rd modem from rogers in less than a year I am simply going to state this fact. iIf my internet goes out once more for any reason, I don't care if there is a storm, they're working on the lines, whatever the reason I am going back to bell and not giving another cent to rogers EVER regardless of any money owed.

Kdubovik
I Plan to Stick Around

The only problem I had with this modem is when I had my original. Every day, once, maybe twice, the internet would cut out between the modem and my computer. Of course Rogers said it isn't their fault and that clearly something was wrong with my computer. But after calling 4 times, they finally let me exchange it for another one which fixed the problem.

Many people have complained about this gateway.. primarily about the wireless.

When on wireless, the signal is poor.. seems to drop connection, and the reboots.

The poster two above this one, seems to almost have been having the same thing, but he was wired connection to it...

Now, myself, i am running this gateway, in gateway mode, but have the wireless OFF on it.. using my own router, as an access point only for the wireless.   With the wired connection, i have not had a single connection drop.. or even wireless on my own router, working through the gatway for the actualy routing and DHCP.

My opinion, is that they router part of the gateway, seems to work fine.  I am wondering if his problem where it was still droping on wired with him, is that there i something wireless that is causing the drop, restarting the modem, which is then doing it for the wired?  Its one possibility.

Again, i am just saying, as using it as a gateway, i have never had a drop/connection issue with it wired.

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Just got another Cisco 3825 gateway for my second household and this time I wanted to test drive wireless portion of the gateway. Provided there were so many complaints about how poor wireless is I was just curious to test it myself.

Well, wireless is simply terrible. I tested it with the laptop being 3 meters away from the gateway. Although the signal was relatively strong, wireless transmission rate was G-like at best. I gave up after trying all the options.

Turned off wireless. Will by a router (currently looking at Netgear R6300).

I am still debating whether to use a router as an access point or as a full router. Are there any benefits of running Cisco DPC3825 in gateway mode with turned off wireless versus running Cisco in bridge mode with a full functioning wireless router?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Tedd:

An advantage of using your own router fully and it in bridged mode, is you can take full advantage of anything that is in the router itself.  Like currently the 3825 doesnt have full parental controls... most routers do.. so it would allow that.

Other than that, most of the other major functions of the 3825 as a router are there. .port forwarding, etc.

I have mine set up with my router as an access point.. why?

The gateway is downstairs.  For max wireless range.. i want  my router main floor.
So i have a long run from the gateway to the router currently.

Now, my office area, and gaming area, is downstairs, not far from the gateway, all running wired connections.
If i had it in bridged, i would now have to run a cable ALL the way back from my own router, to the basement again, then a hub, then off to the devices down there.

With the unit in gateway mode, i can just run cables right from it to my devices.  It saves me ALOT of cable runs.

I have been running it this way since i received it.  I have yet to have any problem with it, no drops, etc.

EddieDZ
I Plan to Stick Around

doesnt Bell use gateway modems too? i've seen this black looking modem with 2 large antennas on it. and just like everything, its made in China bbbbhahahah. I wonder if you put a bell gateway and a rogers gateway side by side which one is crappier LoL

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Yes bell uses gateway/modem combos as well. Though I have not had any of my friends complain about them except for the ridiculous wifi password that none of them seem to know how to change.

Slayer
I'm Here A Lot

This is the model router I have, and I was wondering if anyone knows how to do a 'release IP' command on this router?

I heard we should do this before turning off the router overnight if we want a new IP address. Does this still work?

Can we change our Media Access Control address or something? Do IP leases last 24 hours and that's the length we need to be disconnected?

hrhmrsbrown
I Plan to Stick Around

I've posted over on DSLreports as well, so I figured I'd give this a go, too...

My husband and I moved to Newfoundland from the States a few months ago. Both gamers, we upgraded the account to the "ultimate" service for both speed and monthly use. This, of course, meant we were given the dreaded DPC3825.

Initial setup was okay. It functions as well as can be expected for a rental unit, but the wireless signal strength is crap. To remedy this, we plugged a D-Link router into one of the ports, and simply allowed the modem to continue as the DHCP server. With this solution, however, we soon discovered that we were unable to support more than 7 devices on the network -- adding an 8th required disconnection or dropping of one of the devices already connected. My best guess is that the router was acting as a funnel, and eventually became a choke point.

To remedy this, we put the 3825 into bridged mode, and plugged the router in, setting it up properly as a router. This worked, allowing us to connect all of our devices at once. The catch was that I started to see "limited access" issues intermittently for my wireless connection on my desktop -- usually when doing heavy surfing, watching vids, or playing World of Warcraft. My husband, connected via cable, hasn't had this issue.

After a week or so of getting disconnected in mid-instance, we exchanged the D-Link router for a Western Digital. The intermittent connection issues have continued, however: I remain connected to the wifi, but still periodically have "limited access" -- i.e. no internet connection.

Continuing troubleshooting, I've changed the channel; prioritized the packet scheduling on the router; and replaced the network card in my desktop, upgrading from a G to an N. The issue still remains, and I'm running out of options here. Router logs and observation seems to indicate that the issues arise when the encryption handshake goes out to all devices on the network. Given that we've now tried two different routers from two different manufacturers and still have this problem, I can't help but wonder if it's (1) connected to the intermittent connection (T3 timeout) issues mentioned in a previous post, (2) a problem with the 3825 not playing well with the other kids, (3) an unknown issue with my computer, or (4) a combination of any of the above.

Usage-wise, I don't believe we're doing too much at once: We game together, so we are usually on WoW at the same time. Otherwise, we're generally not using much bandwidth at once -- i.e. we're not watching Netflix while trying to game. And both routers purchased have been mid-to-high-level devices, more than capable of handling the traffic.

This afternoon, I took the WD router out of the equation and reset the 3825 to act as both modem and router. Aside from a DNS issue about two hours ago, the connection has been stable. If using the 3825 is the solution, I'll live with it. But I'm out the cost of a good router (with great features) that *should* work and will have to rely a substandard product and a range extender to provide coverage for a moderately-sized 3 bedroom house.

Definitely missing my US provider and equipment right now, 'cause this? Is just sad.

-- Mrs. B.

Hmm.. that does sound odd..

I was using the model, with a linkys router, and had 2 wired PCs, 2 laptops, 4 phones, one wireless Tv, 2 networked other devices without an issue.. so # might have been the router itself for soem reason for you..  but that doesnt account for the drops.

The timeout issues, i have read up for, for another person on another post on here.. this seems to happen to some people across the board in both canada and US, on both D2 and D3 series modems... most of the conclusions seem to be that its in oversold areas for that provider, that when the modem is trying to get a reply, it gets a timeout, and resets to try and get it again.

hrhmrsbrown
I Plan to Stick Around

In the States, we run 9 devices in a 3500 sq. ft. home without our wireless network breaking a sweat. Of course, we're on fiber, and running with a 2Wire router/modem combo device. There are no range extenders, no additional APs. While the 2Wire boxes have had mixed reviews, we've rarely had issue with our unit or the network. Prior to this, we had Time Warner/Comcast. Their service worked fine, but got a little expensive for what they were offering...not unlike Rogers.

Here, we're attempting to run 9 devices, with the occasional guest. Most of the time, everything but the PCs are simply running "stay alive" connections -- i.e. not using a lot of data because we're not actively using them all at the same time. I can somewhat understand there being a choke point in using the router like a wireless switch; having this issue using it as a router, I just don't get. Especially when it appears the home network is working fine, and the connection outside is what's failing.

It *is* possible that I'm in an oversold area -- this part of the peninsula is growing faster than most predicted, so it's putting a strain on the infrastructure. The associated timeouts would explain some of the stuff I'm seeing in the logs -- from both the WD and the DCP3825. I'm also in an area where the throttling hasn't been rolled back yet, either. It's one of those instances where I wish there were another option. Unfortunately, Bell is the closest, and until they're able to roll fiber out here, it's not that viable; mobile hotspots just aren't going to cut it.

For now, the 3825 is working, and the range extender I added in today is doing its job. Like most Rogers customers on this forum, however, I think I'd much prefer a plain D3 modem and supply my own router, which would provide me much more control over my own network. I find it patently ridiculous that the option isn't available. In gaming parlance, I'd call that an epic fail.

-- Mrs. B.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
There are many on here that would agree with you on here. Especially IHR 🙂

The only thing I have really heard, is that they wanted to try and consolidate the hardware. They started to provide the gateways so customer with no tech knoledge have little to set up. But for people like us who want the more advanced setups, get a little high and dry.
All we can do is keep voicing our opinions, and hopefully they will listen, and help users with the best setup they can with what is currently available.

Glad to see another wow player :). Excited about tues? 🙂