Cisco DPC3825 Alternative?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Cisco DPC3825 Alternative?

I am looking into getting a replacement for my Cisco DPC3825.

What is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that is compatible with Rogers and will work right out of the box as a replacement for this lousy Cisco DPC3825?

Why does rogers even distribute these bad modem routers? People are paying them so much for internet and cable service already, I would expect them to at least provide their customers with a half decent modem router, but nope!

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Alternative?

@auroraguy101 wrote:

I am looking into getting a replacement for my Cisco DPC3825.

What is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that is compatible with Rogers and will work right out of the box as a replacement for this lousy Cisco DPC3825?

Why does rogers even distribute these . ty modem routers? People are paying them so much for internet and cable service already, I would expect them to at least provide their customers with a half decent modem router, but nope!

This has been discussed endlessly. There are three options on Rogers: the DPC3825, the CGN2 (which, if anything, has a worse reputation than the Cisco), and the CGN3 (which costs $4 more, and is required for the 60+ megabit plans now). All 3 must be sourced from Rogers.

As for why they distribute these, I think the answer is two-fold:

1) There probably aren't any better combo modem/routers on the market. Certainly not if you want 24 D3 channels like the CGN3...

2) Bell distributes combo modem/routers, and Rogers thinks, probably rightly, that most customers expect an integrated wifi/router solution.

The DPC3825 is a perfectly solid modem, at least when your signal is good (see my answer in your previous thread), when in bridge mode. If you're not happy with its router/wifi performance, grumble at Rogers a bit, put it in bridge mode, and get yourself a decent router elsewhere.

But if this is about the problems discussed in your previous thread, I still strongly think that that's likely to be a signal problem.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for another prompt response Vivien. Very helpful.

I had a chat with a Bell technician and they said they tested the signal to my modem and it seems fine.

So the issue is probably with the hardware being faulty? They claim there are no issues on their end and I am fairly sure it is not a problem on my network. This happened pretty spontaneously.

But thanks for the suggestions nonetheless.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@auroraguy101 wrote:
Thanks for another prompt response Vivien. Very helpful.

I had a chat with a Bell technician and they said they tested the signal to my modem and it seems fine.

So the issue is probably with the hardware being faulty? They claim there are no issues on their end and I am fairly sure it is not a problem on my network. This happened pretty spontaneously.

But thanks for the suggestions nonetheless.

*sigh*

I've been a Rogers customer for long enough (and had my share of signal problems - some years ago, every year, the spring thaw or something would make the signal moody) that I don't buy that. Sometimes, it is nearly impossible to get them to see intermittent signal problems...

Here's one idea. If you have digital cable, take your digital cable box, go through every channel you subscribe to, and see if there are any that are misbehaving. If yes, report the problem to Rogers as being 'channel X is moody'.

(Yes, that sounds insane, but it worked for me a few years ago when a signal problem made the whole building's Internet slow. While everybody else was fighting tech support over 'slow Internet', I was getting the clueful guys in the big red vans coming to fix a moody channel 534 or whichever weird channel it was. Same signal problem was messing with that channel and with the Internet...)

That being said, what plan are you on? If you're on the old 'Extreme' or above, it's probably not a bad idea to switch to one of the new packages and switch to a CGN3.