Cisco DPC3008 D3 modem only

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cisco DPC3008 D3 modem only

I also would like to shed some light on this too. if you do get the combo gateway modem router, PLEASE DO US A FAVOUR AND CHANGE THE WIFI CHANNEL FROM THE DEFAULT TO SOMETIHNG ELSE.

I've Been Around

Tech support guy that I just talked to told me that it is impossible to add this modem to their network and anyone who has successfully had this modem activated via some backdoor method will eventually be flagged and have the modem removed from their account. I find this highly unlikely and kudos to anyone who has managed to get theirs working!

Several weeks have elapsed since I bought my DPC3008. I've spoke to various people (in store and via phone) - to have them come to this "conclusion". Unfortunately the 7 days I had to return the DCP3008 have long since expired so now I have a nice paper weight... for sale at a good price if anyone is interested;-)

I was told that Rogers ONLY support two DOCSIS 3.0 modems and both are the modem/wifi router combos (SMCD3GN and DPC3825). Conveniently you can purchase one of these from their stores for $200... just make sure you go home to disable the 'all-in-one' functionality to turn it into a simple cable modem and get yourself a decent wireless router because I couldn't get a reliable connection from my home office which is <10m from my SMCD3GN... Alternately, suck it up and pay the $8/mo for the garbage rental that they offer you.

Now to call Rogers back to speak to customer service/loyalty to see when my contract expires. On to greener pastures... lets just hope the next one is better than the evil Rogers/Bell option

I Plan to Stick Around

I'd recommend taking a look at either Sentex or TechSavvy - both have unlimited for a reasonable price (Sentex is $35/mth). Customer service seems better than Bell/Rogers. And I think all the techs/customer service reps are in Canada. Smiley Happy

I've Been Around

I bought a Cisco DPC3008 last night and attempted to activate it on Rogers' network twice with no luck.  I had the CSR enter the MAC address in both the SN & MAC field as per the instructions found in this thread:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r27313545-Express-Cisco-DPC3008-does-work-on-Rogers-

Then today, not wanting to give up just yet, I stumbled upon this thread and since I live near Etobicoke, I decided to call the store and ask for Jan.  They didn't know of any 'Jan' working there, and they didn't know anything about this modem.  It seems a real shame that only a handful of Rogers employees possess the secret knowledge necessary to activate a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that is the smaller sibling of a modem that they themselves sell.  The stories of DPC3008 activations floating around the internet indicate that the problem is not a technical issue but a policy decision made by Rogers.  It is for policies like this that militate against the consumer - that restrict consumer choice, that attempt to extract rents, that shut down competition - that people hate their cable providers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While in some ways you may be correct, not completely.

Comming from a IT support postion, i completely understand the want for them to only have a few models.  While yes, there could be 20 different ones that COULD be used.. that means the support people need to be trained and experts then in 20 different ones potentialy, to troubleshoot problems.  Standardizing on a few, make the job ALOT easier.

Many of the phone support people, are just barely tech people.. giving them that many to support, is asking for worse help from them than some people already get.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I do agree that having only a few standard models makes things a lot easier for Rogers and their tech support staff, such as it may be. 

However, I would like to pose another scenario. Long before the days of computers and Internet, most of us had our phone service with Bell, as there was no other alternative. We were even restricted to using a Bell supplied phone. Then came deregulation which opened up a number of alternative options for consumers. One of these of course was the freedom to choose your own phone and purchase it anywhere you chose. No longer was the consumer forced to use a Bell supplied phone. Of course, should something happen to your phone, you were now on your own with perhaps the manufacturer's warranty should the phone prove to be defective. Could the same alternative not work with modems? Should you choose to use a third party modem, then you also would not receive support for that modem from Rogers. In this event, the consumer would no longer be shackled with a Rogers provided modem, unless of course it was their own choice.

And while I understand the logic of there being only a few models that are actually supported by Rogers, why is it that none of these models is a stand alone D3 modem? Not everyone needs a gateway and not everyone wants a gateway. Surely Rogers could provide a little more flexibility with respect to the modems used for their Internet!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh yeah, im not aguing the fact, that they SHOULD or SHOULDNT allow others.. im just saying, i can understand, WHY they are going the way they are, etc.

IN the end.. maybe they can release something.. where yes, there may be a limited list... only moterola, cisco, and SMC modems, but you can choose any of them and add them on.
You sign a weiver thing of sorts... i agree, that this is my modem and my responsibility and take full ownership if there are problems.

I guess in the end.. i could see it comming down to MANY fights in the end.  With the above scenario, rogers only responsibility, would be that the signal TO the modem is ok..  Somethings not working.. customer says modem is fine.. rogers says cable/signal is fine... who is right and who is wrong?

Maybe after the infrastructure changes to allow the channel bonding for the higher upload speeds, we'll see some more choices.. we can hope 😞

I'm a Senior Advisor

All I am saying though is that the precedent has already been set. People can now use (and have for years) whatever phone they choose to use if they subscribe to Rogers Home Phone. The same thing also occurs when people hook up a PVR Extender. If you use the one provided by Rogers, Rogers will provide support. If, on the other hand, you use a third party extender or external hard drive and you have a problem, don't expect Rogers to solve it for you. I accept that. But what I have a hard time accepting is why Rogers flat out refuses to authorize any stand alone D3 modems. Even more curious is the fact that I have never seen anyone from Rogers actually address the rationale behind this decision. Their replies on this topic do nothing more than state the obvious; that only SMC and CISCO gateways are currently authorized by Rogers. It make me think that they have ulterior motives that they are not willing to share with their customers!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

YEah.. but a external hard drive.. or even a portable phone, are a little different.

A portable phone.. detects the tone on the line.. if it does, it gives you the tone, allows you to dial, etc.

Its a pretty much it works or it doesnt... only trouble shooting would be if your battery is dead, the phone is dead, or the line to the phone is not working.

With the modems, its a little more complicated.  There is more TALK between the modem, and rogers systems, etc.

I do get what your saying though..

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't want Rogers tech support.  I just want them to quit blocking me from setting up the modem of my choice.  There's no technical issue here.