Cisco 8642HD No Longer Records after Upgrade to New Enhanced Guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Cisco 8642HD No Longer Records after Upgrade to New Enhanced Guide

Agreed... The LAN port is not currently supported or used by Rogers.  The box communicates using MoCA which is how your able to communicate with it using your tablet.

Turns out you actually got a bonus for buying at FutureShop in the regards that you were able to get a 500GB model in exchange for your older 160GB.  However keep in mind that you PAY for the extra 4 year warranty offered by FS, whereas your entitled to a 2 year warranty - no charge - from Rogers.  Also typically any extra warranty you buy overlaps the manufacturer (or in this case Rogers) warranty.. which means you have really only paid for 2 years extra from FS. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Perhaps, but when I originally had these problems with Rogers' dodgey O/S a year ago, there were no offers to honour their warrantee when I talked to Rogers atthat time.

In my book, that means their warrantee isn't worth the toilet paper it was printed on. I'll wager it'll be no different with this new box.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Who would not honor the extended warranty? Was it Rogers or Future Shop? Rogers has nothing to do with Future Shop's extended warranty, so that is why they would not offer. If it was Future Shop, then they are **bleep**, but most of us knew that years ago. It is their warranty so they should have offered to replace it and sell you a new extended warranty on the new box right away (most extended warranties end as soon as the item is replaced, but I am not sure about theirs).
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Having been someone who work retail at Staples in the past.. i know a little about mfg warantys, extended, etc.

The BIG part that comes down with the warranty claims.. is the SOFTWARE.. In alot of cases, the warranty only covers the HARDWARE part.. in the rogers box case.. COULD be considered software (the OS part is the issue, potentialy).  Some places can be **bleep** about this..

Not having had to deal with rogers/warranty.. not sure where their stance would be on this.  One COULD say its a hard drive issue, etc..
But it all depends on WHAT they do in those cases.. weither they REPAIR it.. you could be in the same boat.. or if they do a refurb exchange...

This is sometimes where the extended warrantys come in to play, depending on the device, availability, etc, they will often do a swap out.  AGAIN, often if its hardware related only.. but you could more easily get away with saying its hardware with future shop as they dont repair the boxes, they wont know any better.

This is one of the ONLY reasons i choose to rent.
Yes.. i know in the long run.. probably close to where i am now from when i first got the box,  will be paying MORE than outright buying it.
But i like the fact, that IF there is an issue.. i can litteraly bring the box back for an exchange, ANY time.

Hopefuly this new box, doesnt have the issues of the other one.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

My original issues with the IPG occurred about a year ago when my box was still under the Rogers warrantee. No suggestions were given by Rogers about replacing the hardware until most recently when the warrantee was now safely expired.

BigJug correctly points out that the Rogers 2-year warrantee comes for $0. Guess I got my money's worth, eh?

I paid $80 for the 3-year Future Shop extended warrantee, they couldn't give me a replacement box fast enough, and I went from a 160 to a 500 Gig box at no extra charge. I don't know, sounds like a great deal to me!

I also paid another $100 for the 4-year FS extended warrantee on the new box. Judging by the other threads on this and other forums, there's a good bet I'll be getting my money's worth again on that FS warrantee before it expires.

When first dealing with Rogers a year ago, I insisted that the problem was the software they loaded on my box. They instead insisted that it works fine on other boxes with the same model number (you know, the newer ones with the improved hardware and/or bigger hard drives) and all they offered was to revert me back to the old guide. Once the Rogers 2-year warrantee was safely expired, only then did they insist that it was a hardware problem (despite exact same issues), and that the solution was to shell out another $500 for a new box.

Then they suddenly clammed up altogether when I asked for their hardware diagnosis in writing to take to Future Shop. I guess Rogers knows that, unlike us slobs, Future Shop has this great technical innovation called: a "legal department". The beauty of this is that I bet my old box is already half-way back to Rogers by now...

Anyone care to guess how long it'll be before Rogers decides it's time to upgrade their hardware and IPG again but for some mysterious reason, the newer IPG won't work on the old (current) hardware that we all have? Anyone? Two years from now? Three? Beuller?

Meanwhile. you'll be content that your old hardware still continues to get software updates on a regular basis (for at least 2 years), but gosh, you'll notice that it gradually seems to be less and less dependable lately, until one day, it'll finally ceases to work anymore (Rogers: "Oh gee, our warrantee has expired? Hey, it must be a hardware problem!").

Sound familiar?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your post above.. proves my point, WHY i still choose to rent 🙂

Currently as far as we know, rogers is with a contract with Cisco with these boxes.. one reason why they cant change them. (though this could be wrong).

The old guide has been around for YEARS before this upgrade.. i really dont see a total change on it, until they change hardware, etc majorly.. but who knows.

All in all, IF someone does choose to buy a box.. this thread is a good thing to show, that there can be value in buying an extended warranty.

(and the box likely at this point, is NOT going back to rogers.. pretty much future shop eats the cost.  Usualy if item is no longer available, a number of years old, etc.. the vendor cant return it back to who they got it from.. the company just easts the cost... LUCKILY they dont have the expertiese to test the boxes (say like a PC) and have to go on your word for replacement)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Gee, here we are on August 2, 2017 and I have PRECISELY the same issue after Rogers foisted a Navigator upgrade onto my two 8642 PVR boxes both of which I have owned for a long time and which have paid for themselves several times over. One of the 8642 units works with the new Navigator software but the other reboots whenever a recording is closed off, whether the recording is being handled manually with the remote or at the end of a scheduled program recording. 

Of course Rogers would rather I just replace the box which was working fine until they bricked it on Thursday July 20/17. (It actually worked for about 12 hours on Saturday July 22/17 but then reverted to not being able to close a recorded file.) Rogers say they have been working on this issue for 2 weeks after the usual service visits about signal strength etc. and that I am not the only customer with this issue (it was a largish rollout of the new Navigator software to non-Netbox 3.0 users.)

Since your issue was not really ever resolved I would love to report that Rogers will resolve the same issue with my box though I'm not hopeful. This is clearly a very specific software bug and not all that isolated and, judging by your identical issue of at least 2 years ago, it shouldn't be news to Rogers OS types even if there's not much help coming from the ill-equipped front line phone operators.

Anyone else with this problem circa summer of 2017 feel free to comment (or, better yet, provide a solution...case of beer in it for you).

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Got notified of your post.

Unfortunately, I have no updates on how the replacement box is working. Moved to Alberta a year ago and sold it.

In the meantime, I cut the cable and installed an outdoor Antennas Direct Clearstream 4V HDTV Antenna from Best Buy in the attic of the new home. Beautiful picture and sound from an uncompressed Over-The-Air signal - the transmitter tower is just five miles away.

I'm using a Tablo PVR (made in Kanata, ON), which records to an external hard drive that I had lying around. The Tablo's live TV or recordings can be accessed from any PC or Tablet on my home network, and streams via a dedicated Tablo App on the 4th Gen Apple TV I had connected to the TV. Some newer TVs also can carry the Tablo App.

Paid for itself after six months of no cable bills! Highly recommended if all you watch are the main Canadian networks - CBC, Global, CTV, CityTV and even Omni. Larger cities likely have even more channels, including the US ones.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@123xyz123:

This thread is about the Enhanced Guide (RTN) that was rolled out many years ago. It is not about Navigatr.  There are several recent threads regarding the 8642 issues and the recent upgrade to Navigatr, as well as a recent thread dedicated to Navigatr.  You may wish to check out recent posts in those threads rather than reviving this old thread.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you. I haven't seen any of those threads despite searching for 2 weeks. Virtually identical (and limited and subtle) symptoms to the scenario mention by the user at the start of this thread.  Would you be able to provide a link? I will search in the mean time. Thanks for stepping in.