Cisco 8642 NB2.0 Sluggish in guide & PVR playback

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Cisco 8642 NB2.0 Sluggish in guide & PVR playback

Hello PVR Guru's,

I have been experiencing sluggish response from my NB2 Cisco 8642 PVR ever since the whole hole pvr was set up, which was about a year ago. I have been experiencing the following issues:

1. The guide is slow to load and navigate,
  2. PVR is extremely slow to load recorded content & navigate PVR functions,
  3. PVR in general freezes up and requires multiple reboots before it even works again.

Some history, I have had issues with the first batch of the 8642's before the NB2 was released, the drive died and the box was replaced. After that I "upgraded" to the NB2.0 system. All was fine except the 1st ussue mentioned above about the guide being slow. (Note: the Cisco 4642 HD terminal would also experience items 2 & 3 above, but I think that is due to the problems caused by the PVR?).

I have been trying to find a potential solution to this dragging problem, but I have yet to find anything useful online or with customer support, so I am turning to this forum.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Cisco 8642 NB2.0 Sluggish in guide & PVR playback

@MacGuyver wrote:

Hello PVR Guru's,

I have been experiencing sluggish response from my NB2 Cisco 8642 PVR ever since the whole hole pvr was set up, which was about a year ago. I have been experiencing the following issues:

1. The guide is slow to load and navigate,
  2. PVR is extremely slow to load recorded content & navigate PVR functions,
  3. PVR in general freezes up and requires multiple reboots before it even works again.

Some history, I have had issues with the first batch of the 8642's before the NB2 was released, the drive died and the box was replaced. After that I "upgraded" to the NB2.0 system. All was fine except the 1st ussue mentioned above about the guide being slow. (Note: the Cisco 4642 HD terminal would also experience items 2 & 3 above, but I think that is due to the problems caused by the PVR?).

I have been trying to find a potential solution to this dragging problem, but I have yet to find anything useful online or with customer support, so I am turning to this forum.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

There is only one solution.....junk your 8642.

The 8642/NB2 is woefully underpowered and just can't handle the Nextbox interface.

If you're renting your 8642, then run as fast as you can to your nearest Rogers store and swap it for the NB3.  While it has its own well documented problems, sluggishness isn't one of them.

I've Been Here Awhile

@Lurker wrote:

There is only one solution.....junk your 8642.

The 8642/NB2 is woefully underpowered and just can't handle the Nextbox interface.

If you're renting your 8642, then run as fast as you can to your nearest Rogers store and swap it for the NB3.  While it has its own well documented problems, sluggishness isn't one of them.

Hi Lurrker,

I have heard they are supposed to be better, but what problems are the NB3 prone to that the NB2 isn't already? (aside from the sluggishness)

I'm a Senior Advisor

The lag is gone with NB3, but the new issues, as documented around here are:

1. Audio dropouts during playback of recordings

2. The box losing 5.1 Dolby sound and reverting to stereo while watching 5.1 programming thru an audio visual receiver

3. Some issues recording series properly, and some double recording of HD programming (ex... if you schedule something on TSN 506, the box some times records on ch 30, or sometimes both 30 and 506.

Overall, however, the NB 3 experience is usually much better for most folks than the NB 2.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you Lurker for your help. I have to weigh the pros and cons of both I guess and go from there. I don't know how I feel about the series recording issues though...

Thanks again.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I regularly record series without issues on the nb3.

If you don't run it through a surround sound you won't notice the 5.1 drop.

Audio dropouts seem hit and miss depending on user/equipment, some settings can help avoid.

But the nb3 is 10x faster, no sluggishness at all even with the whole home installed.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Recently my 8642HD Nextbox 2.0 has started freezing (both audio and video) every few seconds during recorded tv playback. I'd say it's more of a contstant stutter although it does completely freeze sometimes. There is no freezing whatsoever during live tv and also it's not in specific points of my recorded program - I rewinded and it's different spots freezing every time. It feels like the box no longer has enough juice to play the program back smoothly. I've only noticed it about a week ago. I'm wondering if it may be a firmware problem or maybe my hardrive is starting to go bad? (I did a factory reset to reformat the hardrive but it didn't help).