cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco 8642 HDD Spinning

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

So I knew this was a problem on my SA8300 but now i'm noticing my Cisco 8642 HDD spinning all crazy for a few min then stopping for like 1 min then starting again.. Is this never going to be fixed?

***Edited labels***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Cisco 8642 HDD Spinning

Rogers_Kate
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi Chris,

I'm going to send you a PM to get more info so we can get this resolved for you.

Thanks!

Rogers_Kate

LF1949
I Plan to Stick Around

Chris, as you know this problem was first reported to Rogers in November 2010 (almost a year ago). At that time I had two purchased 8300HD in use. Some time in December after the HDD failed in one unit, I contacted Rogers, told them I was taking my purchased units offline until they fixed the issue and they supplied me with two "free" 8642 rentals. I noticed the iHDD on the 8642s were also cycling on and off every few minutes and reported this to Rogers who told me they did not believe there was a problem with that model. The second or third time I called and spoke to a level 2 Supervisor who still didn't acknowledge there was a problem with the 8642, I told them that since the PVRs I'm using are Rogers rentals, I didn't really care if they were damaging them. I haven't bothered calling them since. One good thing about the 8642 is that it uses a SATA HDD which are inexpensive and easy to find, unlike the PATA drive in the 8300.

Speedy1701
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi Rogers_Kate.

CAn you PM me too ... I'll be interested in what solution Rogers has for this!

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around

This HSUD problem is widespread and should certainly be known about by Rogers.  I think that because the 8642 is so quiet compared to the 8300 that not as many people notice that it is going on.  Everyone was too busy complaining about the 8300 HSUD issue.

My 8642's hard drive has been going crazy since the day I plugged it in . . . Rogers is going to be replacing a lot of hardware in the future!

Ieuan_ab_Arthur
I've Been Here Awhile

Chris and/or Speedy:

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was wondering if Rogers has been able to address the spin-up / spin-down problem for you.

Inquiring minds want to know Smiley Wink

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Nothing yet. I will report back if there is something to report.. My HDD is getting noisy during regular watching too now so it may only be time before i exchange..

Speedy1701
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Still waiting on the firmware update, which *may* fix this problem. In the meantime, when not watching TV, you may try leaving the PVR on to a music channel (e.g. 700's) ... music channel do not require buffering to the HD, so the HSUD is minimised.
Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation