cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast

rdesbris2
I've Been Here Awhile

I purchased a Chromecast device. It won't connect to my wifi network and my Android device. My Rogers router is a Cisco DPC3825

Chromcast support says that I have to change a router setting so that AP Isolation is Disabled.

When I go into the router settings I can't see how to do this?

Any ideas?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Chromecast

mccarter123
I've Been Here Awhile

I suggest that you buy a original chromecast device. If have any problems then contact chromecast. They got mine working because they work with Rogers. I am not very technical so I got help.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont quite think that is the problem.

Not all wireless routers/APs have isolation..  most dont that i have ever seen.

When isolation is ON, means that they CAN NOT see other devices at all on the network.. pretty much the device talks to the router, but can not then talk out to another device.

The DPC3825, can do talk back and forth between devices just fine.. so it doesnt have isolation (or it is disabled anyways).

One thing to try (seens a few wierd things before, with ipads, etc).  Turn off ALL wireless on all other devices in the house (laptops, phones, game systems, etc).. make sure nothing is on the wireless.  Reboot the Cisco, make sure everything is fresh.  Try to then connect the chromecast.  Then connect the others.

Re: Chromcast

You might be one of the only people on the forum, who HAS a chromcast??

(i thought it wasnt available in canada yet?)

Other than basic troubleshooting things.. we might not be of much help.

rdesbris2
I've Been Here Awhile

I purchased it from a US supplier and they shipped to Canada

Ah, thats what i was figuring.

As for help.. without someone else having one.. might be hard to help.

Only thing i can sugest.. i have seen ocassionaly.. a device wont connect to the wifi.  Turn off all the wifi on all other devices so nothing else is connected.. then try to see if it will connect.  then turn the other stuff on.  Has worked for a few others on here.

nochta
I've Been Here Awhile

Ok. my friend I do have an answer and you are not going to like it!
Our dear ISP's all of them have istructed Cisco and all other modum -routers supliers to eliminate from us the paying customers posebility to change the "AP" Isolation, simply it is not there, but all hopes are not lost. You need to call Rogers special tech. services an they will disabele it for you on there and and by the way say goodby to $75.00. They allway new CASTING is coming. Now they want to control your freedom. I have bean trying to work-a-round this sence Christmas. And I am not giving up. Probobly onother way out is to buy a modum independently.
By the way check out "UNBLOCK-US".and get on US side. Netfix is totaly different. $5.00 a month.
Let me know
Brad

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor
I have a Chromecast and I don't have this issue, but I have put my Rogers gateway in bridge mode and use it only as a cable modem as I want to use my own router.

wayner92 beat me to it.

Best way.. is to flip any of the gateways over to bridged mode.. then drop in your choice of 3rd party router.

paul1965
I've Been Around

I'm having a similar issue. Did this resolve your problem?

Post this thread.. in some other threads.. we beleive that we narrowed down WHY the chromecast doesnt seem to work with these units.

For those units to work.. they require MULTICASTING to work on the unit.
Multicasting seems to work on the WIRED side on the units.. but for some reason NOT on the wireless side. 
This would prevent thing like the chromecast, some wireless printers, etc not to work 😞

Really, until this is fixed, enabled, whatever.. (assuming it CAN be).
The only real solution, is to use your OWN wireless router (either as an access point, or in bridged mode) to do the wireless to serve those devices.

thomask
I Plan to Stick Around

I got the chromecast stick a couple months ago, figured I would give it a go.  Was tired of watching netflix and crunchyroll on the ipad.

It was great...  easy to setup, I was pleased when I saw the google screen saver up.

IT worked great with chrunchroll.  Still does.  I watch regular shows each week on the larger screen TV in the bedroom.  Going to order a 2nd one for the living room.

But, I try to watch netflix.. and it gives me no end of issues.  I thought it might be I was using a blockless IP to access american content, but I switched to the Canadian/Rogers default DNS, and got the same.

Looking back, the stick was NOT what I initially thought it was.  Its NOT a smart controller on a USB stick.  I figured, plug it in, its l ike a mini PVR/streamer  that didnt need another device to control it.  WRONG.  You need to browse to your content on the tablet or laptop, and then send it over.

annoyed me cause the first few times if I switched to another app, it would kick the show I was watching via chromecast out.  (it works now, I figure it was too loaded down, I quit a bunch of apps, even did a reboot of the ipad air)

I hope some of this helps someone! 😉

mccarter123
I've Been Here Awhile
chromecast says that I can request beta verson that include chromecast fix to allow my laptop to talk to my TV with my chromecast. Please put this version on my TV box

txs tom

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@mccarter123 Are you asking Rogers to enable their cable boxes to basically turn your TV into a Smart TV? That would be nice. Maybe whenever Roges goes to IPTV that might be a possible option.

Meanwhile, I've bought three different Chromecast and similar dongles and have not been able to get any of them to work with my Samsung Smart TV. All I want to do is broadcast what I see on my laptop on my TV screen and none of these gadgets work.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

davej13
I Plan to Stick Around

Are you trying to cast using Chrome?  There should be an extension to install and then you should be able to.  I have never really had any problems with this except for a Toshiba TV that has built in Chromecast capability sometimes freezing up on video.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't use Chrome. These are dongles that plug into a TV HDMI port and supposedly receive and display what is on your laptop, tablet or smartphone screen. I don't have an actual Chrome brand dongle, but a couple of ezcast ones and a vsmart one and they don't work for me.

davej13
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, because I've never had a problem using a chrome browser casting to a Google Chromecast, or using android apps like Netflix, Shomi, TSN and Slingplayer.  The screen mirroring does seem to work with Android phones but if you do not have an actual Chromecast then the compatibility may not be there.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, I think instead of trying 3 different generic dongles I'd just bought a genuine Chromecast one, I would maybe have something that works for less money.  Smiley Embarassed

mccarter123
I've Been Here Awhile

I suggest that you buy a original chromecast device. If have any problems then contact chromecast. They got mine working because they work with Rogers. I am not very technical so I got help.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 9 in conversation