cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check your Internet usage for 25th July

lensman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

My family (2 adults, one 13yr old kid) has gone over the laughable 60gig bandwidth limit about 6 days before the end of the month. I check my usage for that time and was totally shocked to see a HUGE amount of usage on the 25th July - 14,953MB of downloads! My highest over the last year or so has been around 6000 when my wife has a slow day and streams s**t quality movies on YouTube... So 15,000MB is 15GB right? Well by Rogers own figures here's what 20GB will get you:

Watch over 70 hours of SD streaming video online OR
Watch 18 hours of HD streaming video online OR
Download 10 HD videos

So, in 24 hrs my wife would have to have watched just under 70hrs worth of streaming video!! - which she couldn't because she was working that day. My typical 13yr old kid woke up at about 11 and I got home at 3pm - so HOW THE did we use 15GB of usage??

So, at the risk of sounding like I'm implying something ! - how about you check your own usage for that day and let me know if you have a similar finding...

***edited labels***

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Check your Internet usage for 25th July

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
My usage isn't out of the ordinary for that day or any around it.. It's probably an error. Or someone hopped on your wifi and downloaded some stuff.

15GB isn't really that much.. If you updated a few PC's or macs.. If you downloaded a game from steam, download some HD content. Maybe a movie or 2 on netflix..

lensman

Thanks, Chris. The very reason I didn't get Netflix is because I knew I would run into D/L issues... Someone shouldn't have hopped on the Wi-Fi since it is secured and we don't stream HD movies. 15gig is way more than double my maximum ever usage. We are pretty constant at around 1gig a day. Yesterday it was 219megabytes with no unusual efforts to reduce usage. I'm thinking it was an error and I have sent an email to Rogers to look into this - but how the heck am I going to argue when they turn around and say "Nope, sorry, it wasn't an error."...

Glenn

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Well if you didn't go over the 60 then you should be fine... If you did I would argue it with them.. It sounds like it is way out of the norm usage patterns so I think you have a good argument.

cactuspete
I Plan to Stick Around
15GB in one day is quite a bit...wondering if you use MAC's and upgraded more than one to LION that day? The Lion OX download from the MAC store was almost 4GB. If you have more than one MAC and didn't save the download file you may have downloaded 4GB more than once? I have a Mac and a Mac mini and made sure to upgrade them on separate months as I knew I would exceed my monthly limit otherwise....I think LION was released the week prior to July 15th.

lensman

Yeah, I did go over the 60. Today is the last day but it only went over by $4. Still it's the principle of the thing... Rogers was useless in getting back to me other than telling me how to check my useage (duh, that's why I wrote!) and saying they can't check daily useage re hours used. 

I am now going to be checking my usage almost daily so I can remember exactly what the computer was used for soon after the fact.

lensman

@cactuspete: No, I use a PC not a Mac, but thanks for replying, anyway.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Do you have a wireless router or something sharing the internet in your house? Often you can get usage stats from that.. Maybe not with the default firmware but sometimes you can change it.

lensman

Yes, I do have a wireless router. Any clue as to how to go about checking the useage on a router?

Patr1
I Plan to Stick Around

@lensman wrote:

Yes, I do have a wireless router. Any clue as to how to go about checking the useage on a router?

It depends.  If the equipment belongs to Rogers I don't believe it offers that ability.  Most comercially available routers usually need to have their firmware reflashed to a third party version.  A bit techy and a bit of work but dd-wrt is one site to start the homework phase.

lensman
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

@lensman:

the "Tomato" firmware for, amongst others, the Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GL routers will allow you to track total data usage for all equipment/users connected to your internet connection.  To the best of my knowledge, DD-WRT firmware does not include that functionality.

Other router types are also supported, but you should go to the URL's listed below for detailed information on hardware compatibility.

Here are the URL's  for further information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

http://jultech.wordpress.com/2007/01/22/wrt54gl-tomato-firmware-and-bandwidth-monitoring-via-snmp/

If you do a bit of Googling on various keywords related to this topic you will find lots of information on which routers will work, and what you can do with routers that use the Tomato firmware.  There is lots of good discussion out there to help us.

I have used Tomato on several versions of the WRT54G and it works quite well.  It will certainly provide you with the daily usage information for network connection and provide you with the data you need to determine if you have a problem.

skinorth

lensman

Excellent info, skinorth. I did take a look at the DD-WRT info and have to admit didn't really know where to start. The "tomato" firmware may be just what I need and I'm pretty sure my wireless router is a Linksys as well.

G

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Yes with dd-wrt i believe you'd need to install a package for tracking http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/BWlog I haven't used Tomato but have also heard it is good.

@lensman:

check carefully the model and version number of your Linksys router.  There are only certain models which can be flashed with third-party firmware.  And even more confusingly, a given model of Linksys router will come in various "Version" designations.  Each version has different internal hardware, memory, processor speeds, etc.

If you check the Wikipedia article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

it will give you text and verse on the various Linksys WRT54G and related models, their internal hardware details, and whether they will run third party firmware.

@Chris:

I did not know there was an add-on to DD-WRT which would give usage tracking.  I will have to check out that item.  I do know, however, that Tomato seems to be a much skinnier firmware implementation, and may have advantages if you don't mind the less fancy user interface.

skinorth

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation