Chat Session & Logmein

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Chat Session & Logmein

I'm having issues with my cable TV and also have my phone and internet with Rogers. While I'm very happy with the internet service their cable TV service leaves a lot to be desired. I have many times had to chat with Rogers concerning my TV account, not always problems, sometimes just questions or changing service. Even as recently as last week I chatted with one of their technicians. However, today I tried to chat with one of their techs about my TV issues and was unable to unless I agreed to download and install Logmein. I'm very familiar with Logmein and used it for years on other computers. The computer I'm using now, which is the same one that I've been using for almost two years, does not and will not have Logmein installed on it. I was forced to call their tech support line, was told I by their automated system that I would be on hold for 5-7 minutes and was given the option to leave my phone number if I didn't want to hold. I opted to leave my phone number and have someone call back. I was then told by their automated system that I would receive a call back in 5-7 minutes and would not lose my place in line by opting for a call back. 35 minutes later I received a call from their automated system and was on hold for several more minutes before a live person came to the phone. I explained that I had three issues to discuss and when I explained what they were the technician said she could help with the TV issues and scheduled an appointment for a service person to come to my house. One of the other issues was my backup for my VOIP phone and she was able to make a note for the repair person to check it out when he came but she couldn’t talk to me about it because it wasn’t her department. I then explained the issue with the chat session and she pointed out that wasn’t her department either and she would transfer me to the proper department. After 20-25 minutes of being on hold another technician came on the phone and I explained the change in having to download Logmein in order to chat about my TV and phone service and that I had never had to install anything on my computer to chat with a technician before and she said it’s always been that way as far as she knew, but it wasn’t her department so she really couldn’t help me. I asked why I was transferred to her if that wasn’t her department and she said that was a good question but had no answer! I then asked to be transferred to the right department and she stated there really isn’t one. So I asked if my only options were to suck it up and install Logmein if I want to chat or always be forced to use the phone. She said those were my only options. So, I’d like to know why I’m being forced to install remote support software on my computer in order to chat about my TV or phone service. If I’m having issues with my computer/internet service and it requires a remote support session I understand. I’ve been involved in computer tech support for years and understand there sometimes is a need for a remote support session. But there should NEVER be a need for that when I want to chat with a technician about my TV or phone service. And despite what the technician said about it always being a requirement I can say with 100% certainty that it has never been a requirement until the last several days.

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Chat Session & Logmein

Hi @np2014

Thank you for your post.

What type of issue were contacting technical support with?

We can take a look at assisting here on the Community Forums.

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I initially was forced to call your tech support because I could no longer do a chat session about my TV and phone service unless I installed Logmein on my computer. As recently as last week I was able to do a chat session without installing Logmein! I think it's totally unnecessary for me, or any other customers, to have to install Logmein in order to do a chat session about my TV/Phone service....neither of those are computer related and do not require remote support session/software. The reason I was attempting to do a chat session is because I wanted to schedule an appointment to have a repair person come to my house and see if the issues with the TV/PVR and phone backup could be resolved. 

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@np2014,

I see that you did call in and speak to technical support. Were they able to schedule an appointment for you?

@RogersGabrielle

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for trying to help resolve my issues.....I appreciate your efforts. Yes they were able to schedule an appointment, but there's still the issue with not being able to chat with a technician unless I install Logmein on my computer, which I'm not prepared to do, nor do I think I should be required to install it for a chat session! I've been involved in many chat sessions for many years and have never been required to install a remote support software in order to ask general questions or chat about something that did not require remote support!
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

This is a curious situation. (For those who don't know, Logmein is a app you, or someone else, can use to remotely access your computer. There are many others, like Remote Desktop, TightVNC - which I use - etc.).  If a support tech can't explain what to do through live chat without taking control of your computer, try live chat again and talk to someone else. Letting someone else, who you don't know, have access to your computer is a bad idea. I've heard too many horror stories.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR  You are absolutely correct on that one - I too have done remote support to my customers, but would never ask to do so unless it was absolutely necessary.  If I can talk them through the issues, and in terms of this discussion, any support for TV, most issues related to Internet, and to home phone are not going to require a connection to one's computer.  Maybe the Internet may require access to the computer, depending upon whether the issue is internal to the LAN, or external on Rogers Network.

I can relate to why the customer is so confused - absolutely no reason to have access to the computer, and I have not had anyone from tech support Rogers request  access to my computer in about 7 years when I needed assistance dealing with a cell phone issue and they did an OS reinstall from their end.

I too would never agree to have external people access my computer, except to debug my connection to the modem/router, network protocols on the network adapter, or to scan the computer if it appears that something malicious is going on with it.

Just my two cents on the OP concern of why was her required to install the remote access software.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I didn't even get to try to talk to someone else until a few minutes ago. After several tries, more to see if anything had changed than anything else, I just attempted to do a live chat again and WAS NOT prompted to download Logmein. It appears something has changed since my post earlier today. I don't know how long it will last but at least it seems to be resolved at this time. Whoever made the necessary change, thank you, I appreciate the help!

Have a great night!
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I also find it interesting, when I explained my concern to a technician over the phone earlier today, that she insisted their system has always worked this way and my only options were download Logmein or use the phone!!