cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channels not available in HD on Rogers Cable

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I've watched Austin City Limits on WQLN PBS Erie, Channel 21 since long before I had an HD TV.  When I got an HD TV I saw that Rogers only broadcast WQLN in SD.  Asking around on another board I discovered WNED PBS Buffalo, Channel 525 also had ACL and it was HD. However, it seemed the broadcast was later in the week and was often different or non-existent.  Now ACL is gone from WNED completely.  Please Rogers, could we have WQLN in HD instead of SD? This is 2017!

***Edited Labels***

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
  • HD
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Channels not available in HD on Rogers Cable

userguy69
I've Been Here Awhile

There is definitely an issue. It seems that they're only picking up the TCM SD broadcast. I chatted with a Tech team rep and he said that both ch. 48 and ch. 563 (which should always be HD!) were showing SD content. He submitted a ticket for me ad hopefully someone over there realizes there is a major issue with this channel.

Bedtime for me. Hopefully I dream in HD at least.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@userguy69 is right.  Rogers IT are aware of the issue and it relates to a piece of equipment at Rogers that will need repair/replacing. My contact talked to master control and they expect the issue to be resolved "soon" (ETA a couple of days). My contact (reached through Share a concern) will call me when it's fixed.

My contact originally told me there was nothing wrong and that it was due to "old movies not being made in HD". When I explained to him that old movies were typically film-based and that they can be easily telecined to HD video material if the original quality is good (35mm typically) he stopped trying to BS me.

I then asked him to look at the diagnostics of his STB under "Diagnostics - Manufact. Diag - Platform Status - Decoder/Encoder where you can see that the signal is 480i instead of HD. After that he apologized profusely for trying to BS me and actually looked into the matter.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Looking at TCM this morning and an old B/W Saint movie from 1940 is playing. Looks like SD 4:3 but fills screen vertically. SA8300 diagnostics indicate SD. Inconclusive with this old movie, but I'll check later with a newer one.

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Looking at TCM this morning and an old B/W Saint movie from 1940 is playing. Looks like SD 4:3 but fills screen vertically. SA8300 diagnostics indicate SD. Inconclusive with this old movie, but I'll check later with a newer one.

Old movies have nothing to do with SD vs HD.  Decent quality film can provide HD.  However, those old movies will be 4:3, not wide screen.

assenavlp
I Plan to Stick Around

The filler content's on, now, and it's definitely still showing at 4:3.

@OLDYELLR You still seem to be hesitant to take our word for it, even though two people have stated that Rogers has finally confirmed there's an issue. LOL And BTW, zooming 25% absolutely DOES cut off the edges of the picture. Maybe you don't care about that, but movie lovers generally do, and I'm not paying Rogers an arm and a leg every month so that I have to fiddle with the remote control, let alone pull out a second remote, every time I change the channel.

Here's the funny thing with Rogers....I ALWAYS get an email performance survey after I've dealt with them. This time when they were unable to help, and I was adamant that there was an issue that they were just not understanding, no survey to be seen. And @57  I sent in a report (as you suggested yesterday), with the promise of a reply within 24 hours, and still nothing on that front either. I have generally been very satisfied with Rogers tech support over the years, but this was a disappointing experience. Thank goodness for the forum anyway.

Hello @assenavlp,

I am in the same boat as you, and strongly recommend you use the aspect ratio / picture stretch button on your TV remote (not Rogers remote).

Can be inconvenient, but stretching window-boxed (black bars on all sides) content can be done correctly with minimal loss of picture on any side.

EDIT: Using the "Aspect" button on the Rogers remote works well on certain programs where the content is "full screen" (4:3) aspect ratio with no letterboxing (example: channel 5 in Ontario, TV Guide).

assenavlp
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @robindp but I'll live with it until Rogers gets their act together. Aside from the hassle, I don't even know where that remote is at the moment. LOL

Hello @assenavlp,

LOL, I hear you. The last time I lost my remote, the staff at Rogers Plus were able to give me a replacement - if you have some time, swing by one and describe your problem - they may have some extra remotes available.

assenavlp
I Plan to Stick Around

@robindp  I have the Rogers remote....it's the original TV remote that's.....somewhere...lol

But the squeaky wheel gets the grease.....just got a phone call from a Rogers technician....they added my name to the ticket and are working on this problem with a tentative target of 48 hours. 🙂

Nice! I hope this gets resolved for you.

whatnext
I Plan to Stick Around
I have also noticed this problem with TCM in the last few days. It has definitely switched to SD, as even recent films are showing in SD.

Hello @whatnext,

You should report this issue to Rogers - the more of us report the issue, the better the chance of getting it fixed.

whatnext
I Plan to Stick Around

I read another post, which indicated that Rogers is aware of the problem and working on the fix, which may take a few days. Hopefully it's resolved before the weekend.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@assenavlp wrote:

The filler content's on, now, and it's definitely still showing at 4:3.

@OLDYELLR You still seem to be hesitant to take our word for it, even though two people have stated that Rogers has finally confirmed there's an issue.

No, I'm with you. It's been SD every time I checked. But I haven't yet hit upon a movie that ought to be HD for sure. Going through the Guide, there's nothing newer than the 1960s.  As @57 said, there's no reason classic 1960s movies can't be transcoded as HD, but how many of them are? Let's hope it's just a temporary technical issue and Rogers hasn't decided to feed us the old movies in SD because we won't notice. They do seem to be reluctant to give us the remaining SD channels in HD.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

As @57 said, there's no reason classic 1960s movies can't be transcoded as HD, but how many of them are? 

Probably all of them.  If they've been telecined for viewing on TMNHD, then they would have been telecined to probably a minimum of 720P.  Once you view these when TMNHD is again HD, you will see the quality.  The only movies that may still be a bit "blurry" would be ones from before 1950, although even then movies like Casablanca, or the Wizard of Oz, or Gone with the Wind, will look quite good, although not as good as something more recent, mainly due to the film stock or possible deterioration of that film stock over the years.  They will look better than SD, that's for sure.

Edit:  Even if the occasional movie were only telecined to 480i, it will look better on the HD channel because the upconverters that are used by the "broadcasters" are far superior to what's available in a STB or TV.  In the days before "Auto-HD" I did some comparisons of SD, Upconverts on an HD channel and HD. Here's a link.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/125622-tcm-hd-discussion-do-they-use-hd-masters....

At that time, more than 5 years ago, TCMHD was doing upconverts. They now have access to "true HD". 

JKnott
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

As @57 said, there's no reason classic 1960s movies can't be transcoded as HD, but how many of them are? 

Probably all of them.  If they've been telecined for viewing on TMNHD, then they would have been telecined to probably a minimum of 720P.  Once you view these when TMNHD is again HD, you will see the quality.  The only movies that may still be a bit "blurry" would be ones from before 1950, although even then movies like Casablanca, or the Wizard of Oz, or Gone with the Wind, will look quite good, although not as good as something more recent, mainly due to the film stock or possible deterioration of that film stock over the years.  They will look better than SD, that's for sure.

Edit:  Even if the occasional movie were only telecined to 480i, it will look better on the HD channel because the upconverters that are used by the "broadcasters" are far superior to what's available in a STB or TV.  In the days before "Auto-HD" I did some comparisons of SD, Upconverts on an HD channel and HD. Here's a link.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/125622-tcm-hd-discussion-do-they-use-hd-masters....

At that time, more than 5 years ago, TCMHD was doing upconverts. They now have access to "true HD". 

35 mm film has been around for a long time, in fact has been the standard for the film industry since 1909.  So, any film, for the past several decades has been capable of much better than SD resolution.

35 mm film

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

Thanks a lot for that link.  It explains a lot of what I may have been missing.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

It appears to me that TCM is now back to HD. At least the picture looks better and my SA8300HD diagnostics seems to indicate it, although I'm not entirely sure how to read those screens.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

It appears to me that TCM is now back to HD. 

Yep, back to 1080i. Thanks Rogers.

assenavlp
I Plan to Stick Around

Yayy! Yes, it's all back to normal. Thank you, Rogers!