cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channels freezing and are pixelated

thuynh01
I Plan to Stick Around

My Cable totally stopped working 2 days ago, and it affected my Internet connection as well. A tech came in the next day and probably unplugged and plugged the cable outside the building and it was working, however the picture was freezing/stuttering and pixels were showing up randomly. He switched my digital box and it was still occurring. So he had to contact someone to get the cable outside looked at.

Today, a tech came and checked the box outside and stated that he was getting clear signal, so I turned on the tv to see if it was still occurring.

It seemed to have stop, but after work, I am back to the same freezing/stuttering, and it actually seems worse, and it seems as though it is starting take effect on my Internet connection again. Randomly being disconnected every 5-10 minutes.

I will have to call again, but this is **bleep** frustrating, first, because randomly, my tv service just stopped working, with no explanation, and even though now the channels work, its pretty much unwatchable, unless you like watching a slide show.

***Edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Channels freezing and are pixelated

Freezing and pixelating, are GENERALLY a SIGNAL issue.

Make sure the tech does EVERYTHING.. replace splitters, inside/outside, just to be sure.  Even run a temp line from the street, if the signal is anything but great.

But.. That you are saying its WORSE in the evening.. i am wondering if you are having similar to what i had, about 2 years ago.

Daytime, etc.. generally was OK.. ocassional blip, but not much/often.  Evenings though, was another story.
Evenings.. is the time, that the network get the BIGEST load on it.. more people on net, TV, etc.. so straining the wiring, etc.
My street and the one next to us.. in the eve.. was effected like this.
It ended up being a FEED issue.. one of the major lines, was having and issue.. and under the stress of the heavier load, was then having signal issues.

EVENTUALLY got fixed.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Sounds VERRY similar to what I had last year. Signal durring the day was fine, but always around 8 started to go out.
Ended up being the street with an issue, and when the increased usage happened over the eve, whatever was wrong couldn't handle the load and started to have issues.

All I can recommend is be persistent, call every night it happens. Talk to neibours on Rogers and see if they are having the same and have them call in. More tickets across multiple people will get the larger picture looked at.

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around

Was your problem ever fixed? I am having the exact same problem, and yes, it's worse in the evening!! Technician is on his way here again for the third tme this week 😞

Freezing and pixelating, are GENERALLY a SIGNAL issue.

Make sure the tech does EVERYTHING.. replace splitters, inside/outside, just to be sure.  Even run a temp line from the street, if the signal is anything but great.

But.. That you are saying its WORSE in the evening.. i am wondering if you are having similar to what i had, about 2 years ago.

Daytime, etc.. generally was OK.. ocassional blip, but not much/often.  Evenings though, was another story.
Evenings.. is the time, that the network get the BIGEST load on it.. more people on net, TV, etc.. so straining the wiring, etc.
My street and the one next to us.. in the eve.. was effected like this.
It ended up being a FEED issue.. one of the major lines, was having and issue.. and under the stress of the heavier load, was then having signal issues.

EVENTUALLY got fixed.

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around
Ok thanks! I'm waiting for them to arrive for the service call today. Will keep you posted.

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around

The technician was just here. It's a Rogers issue. My equipment and signals are all fine. There's essentially too much demand on the system. They're in the process of freeing up space by removing the analog channels to make room for the digital channels. So, I'll give them a few weeks and see what happens. I'm glad the technician was honest with me. He has a file created on this issue and will add me to it to submit to the people up above!!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
While yes that transition is happening....

I don't watch every single channel available, and don't have any pixelization.

Next guess would be the closest node, if even though good signal, bad info being sent. Nothing. A regular tech can fix though 😞

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around

Fingers crossed! They did work in this area last night apparently so we'll see if that helped!

So frustrating - channels are continuing to freeze - everytime I call I get a different person wih a different answer. My PVR'd shows all froze last night. 😞

😞

Did it happen in the eve again? 
again.. guessing its like what happened to us here.

DO you know any neibours who have rogers as well? Have you asked if any of them are experincing the same? (again leading to a street issue, etc).

Took me a few weeks of calls, etc, to get things eventually escalated.  Had them continually send techs out every three days even though they could do nothing.
Its THEIR dollar being spent on those techs.. eventually will cost them too much and they escalate it 😛

Wish i could be more help.

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes it's still happening. Sunday evening was awful. I'm not sure of any neighbors with rogers. They said they've "escalated" the issue and I never watched any tv last night, but I'm not optimistic that it is fixed. I've had three technicians visits so far. If it wasn't for having to take time off work, I'd call every day and arrange a visit. Sad service. 😞

Yeah.. sounds more like a street /area issue 😞

When i had it.. i kept calling every night.. even if not a technician for every time.. just so they had RECORD of the problem.
(have the person on the phone check things are 'bad' at that time.

I had them keep sending techs, but didnt take any time off.
Not sure if they do it there, but here, they have evening visits for the techs as well (5-8 window) so if thats doable.. is an option... again to help FORCE the issue.

Wish i could be more help 😞

Gurd
I've Been Around

Where are you located, I'm having the same issue in Streetsville area!

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around
I'm in Newfoundland. In Grand falls-Windsor.
I'm losing faith that they will fix this problem anytime soon. I PVR'd some BBC Canada shows this afternoon and several of them froze. One show recorded for 1 minute. Sad.

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around
Still happening. 😞

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor
Sounds like this is an issue well above our ability to help. As GDK said, the only options at this point it to hound Rogers by phone and threaten to switch to satellite if they don't fix the issue....might light a fire under them.

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes this is sad. They clearly don't even know what the problem is, let alone how to fix it.

BengalCatLady
I Plan to Stick Around
June 11 update. Problem still not fixed. They're working on it. Getting more and more frustrated with them.

Really does sound like something more major with the infrastructure in the area (since they have done all at the house they can).

My inlaws are dealing with that right now.. they are in a .. 35+ year old subdivision?  they are getting freqent almost complete loss of all services.

The MAJOR feed to that 1/3 of the subdivision is having major issues... just age, or who knows what else.
They are currently in the work of replacing it.. but it takes HUGE amounts of time to do there.. as its all burried lines.. so tons of boaring under driveways, roads, etc.

delius
I've Been Around

Had same issue for year.  Gave up today. And ordered shaw direct satellite.   Will return rogers pvr nextbox 3.  On monday. After satellite installed.  May have to pay for another month. Have internet with them.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Did you ever get a tech out to look at things?

That happening is almost always signal related, and some cable, splitter, etc replacement could fix that up.
Due to some issues a few years back, they replaced everything from the street, and 80% inside, and don't ever have a pixelating, etc issue ( last tech here was blown away how good the signal now was)

Hopefully it's not a wiring/splitter etc issue internally, as it could effect the satellite as well
Topic Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 11 in conversation