Channel switching takes too long in the new Enhanced TV Guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Channel switching takes too long in the new Enhanced TV Guide

I took up the offer an upgraded my non-PVR HD Box to the new TV guide they released in April. Though the layout, resolution etc looks nice, the channels take long to switch when flipping through channels. It was so annoying and backwards that today I called Customer service and asked them to put back the old guide.

The search capabilities are not of much use unless Rogers makes an app for iOS and Android that some how allows you to use a full QWERTY keyboard to enter search terms. Using the regular remote takes too long.

Plus comeone, the switching of channels involves upto 2 seconds of delay before the picture of the new channel you switched to shows up. That is not a good user experience and trumps all other good things.

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Channel switching takes too long in the new Enhanced TV Guide

Yeah channel changing is way too slow.. Hopefully they are looking into this.
I Plan to Stick Around

Its been more than a year and I see this problem still there. I recently upgraded to the PVR Netbox 2.0 and this problem re-occurred as my previous non-PVR box had the old guide.

I thought the delay was due to the low signal strength that technician who came to install this box and upgrade my internet modem mentioned. He did install a powered amplifier.

I called tech support and the lady mentioned she has same Cisco 8642 model and she sees a delay of upto 5 seconds !! Gripes, mine is not that bad, about 2 seconds, which is still annoying. She says it is due to the new guide as it has lot of information to download !!

What a ballony, when you say you have such high speed internet connection networks, why does a text based guide take so long to download. I think it comes down to difference between Cable and DSL/Telephone line based TV connection. I have seen Bell Fibe at a friends house and the channels flip quite fast.

I am going to go back to the old guide and start searching for a good plan with Bell. This Rogers Netbox is so behind. No apps like Bell box and then this issue which did not even exist on their old guide. How can they release sucha thing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Bell fibe's switch differently, as they are a different form of TV.
Fibe is IP based, compared to the rogers boxes are QAM tuner based.

The 8642s are very laggy with the 2.0 current guide..
Now, over the next few weeks, people should be getting a NEW update to the guide. (appears its comming out in stages).

While not perfect, it does remove a bunch of the lag. (amongst some other addions as well), and i have noticed in improvement. 
Not quite at the old guide level, but closer.

Rogers in the next bit (likely before xmas) will be releasing a NEW PVR box, which uses the same guide, but is leaps and bounds performance wise.  (please check out the '8 Tuner PVR' thread for more information on this)

I'm a Senior Advisor

I just picked up a new 8 tuner box. Just waiting for it to boot up... Hopefully it's faster...
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would hesitate to say perfect, but its ALOT faster than the 2.0.
Let us know what your thoughts are on it Chris, in the 8 tuner pvr thread.