Channel Re-Alignment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Channel Re-Alignment

Is there no way to get these channels without paying over $80 a month?

Space should be in the Digital plus not the VIP package.

Another greedy TV company

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Channel Re-Alignment

You do actually get more than 3 channels though....  There was a post by a Rogers rep that led to a trial being done in London Ont regarding customers being able to build their own packages, but the project looks like it was over a year old, and I don't know if they're still supporting/offering that program.

You could try an OTA antenna to see how many channels you pick up.  I read a post where someone in Mississauga was getting quite a few channels in HD quality, but this varies depending on location, type of equipment used, etc.

The packages that the cable companies put out is to suit the average majority.  It is afterall a business, and a business is in business for one thing only.  So I'm sure there are some strategic thoughts behind what channels are packaged with other channels, but you cannot say you only get 3 channels for $80... those may be the channels that you want, but there are bunch of others available that other customers may enjoy.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think he is trying to say that he only watches those channels, but has to get the VIP to get them all

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

That's the business model. Create a package that contains some channels the customer wants, padded out with a lot of filler channels to make the package appear bigger. I seriously doubt that Rogers would ever go to a purely a-la-carte plan where customers could just choose and pay for only the channels they want to watch unless the price per channel was set quite high. Also, the CRTC mandates that all kinds of French, first nations and government channels are included.My digital VIP plan has hundreds of channels, but I only watch maybe half a dozen of them, I don't think anybody would be willing to pay $10 - $15 per channel to just receive the channels they want. It's like when you buy a CD. You buy it for one or two of the songs you want, the rest is filler material. If you want more songs you like you have to buy another CD and another one.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I was reading up on some, on the TEST pilot that they did for the 'choose your own' sort of package thing.
It was like $20, for the BASE, which everyone had to get.. was like 30 channels.
Then, you could pay like $20+ more, and get like 15 channels, of your choose.. i THINK this included some premium ones..

In the end.. it wasnt really any cheaper at the say VIP point.. but cheape than buying say VIP + movies channels, etc.

The BIGEST complaint, was that people said, they didnt want most of the stuff in the BASE package.

Pretty much everything that was there.. was as Oldyellr just mentioned.. is alot of the CRTC mandate.  That there needs to be a specific amount of CANADIAN content... canadian station, french, government, etc channels.

Now i understand, that there may be alot of viewers, who never watch any of these channels.. due to the content not being there that they want to watch.
But i think its part, in keeping part of canadian TV canadian.. and not just selling it all out to the US, etc.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Soon everything will be streamed, and you pick what you want... much like Netflix but more advanced... I think IPTV is something thats going to change the way we use entertainment. The internet is becoming more and more integrated with our every day devices... who would have thought 10 years ago that we would have dvd players, tv's, music devices, etc that are ALL connected to the internet... but now we need to have those things connected to make the most out of it. 

Right now our TV's connect to the internet, but not in a "full time" fashion... and content is somewhat limited.  But give it another 10 or so years... and who knows... will we even need a cable box?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

put an antenna up on your house and you will get City, and global, but space is a cable only channel, so sorry

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just received a notice in the mail that Rogers is removing two channels (Spike and BBC World News) from the VIP package and moving them to theme packages which will cost me extra if I want to continue to watch them. I am assuming there will be no reduction on my invoicing over the lost channels. This coming on top of the recent overall price increase? Not very appreciated. I may need to start looking at other options.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello tobrich1228

We all received that letter. Why would they give us a reduction? No need for it as if you want a reduction, you can always call Rogers & speak to Rogers Cable retentions. They may give you a reduction or a discount if they see it valid reason. Like cancelling your cable or something else.

Every cable provider does this. Its something no one can change & lets say you leave from Rogers for someone else, that cable provider may do it as well. Will you leave them as well?

In the end you need to go to a company you can save money on. Channels come & go. Cable providers taking channels out or plans & adding them on theme packs. Many do this. I noticed this with Bell, Shaw, Telus & a few others.

I understand those channels maybe something you want to watch but if you add that theme pack, Rogers may give you a discount on the overall price you pay for the cable services. I am not defending Rogers here so just making this clear. It does bother me too as i wish those channels did stay on VIP :(. I hope maybe they can give us a discount on that theme pack!.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Meowmix,

Thanks for your advice. Perhaps I will make a call and see if something can be worked out. It just can be so frustrating, as I'm sure you can understand!