Channel Re-Alignment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pac_west227
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Channel Re-Alignment

@Gdkitty wrote:

I dont see wha tthe OLED has anything to do with it.. its just a different form of display.... o.O

Many TVs have various other options right now as it is.  I have a full smart TV right now, which has many plugins for various video sites (hulu, etc), as well as netflix.  It even does DLNA and PLEX(xmbc) streaming.  Easily could never use cable with it 🙂

One thing you will may not see, even with the shift, is the removal of commercials always fully.. why? Its partialy what pays for those channels to begin with... without them.. the price of the things, COULD go up per unit. (as well, the channel owners like that they make money off them :P)
Some things do commercial free (netflix for example).. but likely has to be built into the contract of the content you get.

Dont get me wrong, im not defending it 😛  I would be very happy for IPTV based stuff 🙂  I dont think it would be as much of a cut and dry cutover.  You would be talking 10+ years easily before a FULL OUT change i would think.
You have to look at, how many people on here are currently FREAKING out over the analog cable cut.. that they dont even have digital.. dont have an HDTV, etc..  And this is a good 10+ years after the digital boxes started comming out.

If anything would have to run PARALLEL.. or offer DTA type things to convert IPTV to other means of connectivity 🙂

-------------------------

It will happen a lot faster than you think! Everyone here knows you're Pro-rogers and others have even hinted you're prolly some employee hiding under the guise of "not an employee", lol. Similar to "anonymous" tag, but whatever... the reason  for mentioning OLED is the new tech will come with new toys. Right now the current tech you're mentioning is still at it's infancy stage. My tv is also a smart tv and considered one of the top plasma smart models of 2012 - big whoop! Basically the current tech is crappers. Yes, everyone knows how broadcast tv works, marketing, commercials, etc. However, like any new tech there will be different market segments - that's the point. Some like it some dont. That's why companies give you the opportunity to CHOOSE which is right for you. Right now that's not available but I'm talking the future which is why I brought up OLED TV as when that becomes affordable for the average consumer all the new toys will be perfected unlike what you get today which is why I mentioned OLED to begin with. And it will be sooner than 10+ years, count on it! Heck, there are seniors who havent gone past using a dialer fone let alone future smart fone tech. As for commercials I'm sure peeps who want non-commercial use unscheduled content will just pay more than those who currently stick with scheduled commercial content. That's not a surpise when that happens just like you pay more for netflix for the convenience as opposed to waiting for the same program to appear on broadcast tv. Tho being this is canada no doubt the crtc will force some commercials to appear either 5 minutes before or after a program for some lame "canadian content" rule.  As an example last nite, Game of Thrones was broadcast on HBO between 9-10pm est. At 10:15pm est, the entire episode in HD quality was already online - commerical free. All this is available now unofficially, no doubt it will become official within the next few yrs. Also there are many ways to still maintain advertising revenue with source producers/production companies, not just in commercial form on broadcast tv.. just sayin. Besides, most production companies these days dont make their primary source of income from "commercials" but rather by selling copyrights and distribution licensing. MJ estate is a perfect example of that. Point blank. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would appreciate you not accusing me of being an employee like the others.
I am not.  Would you like to come visit me at my actual workplace? 🙂

Do i like there services, have i 95% of time had good stuff from them?  Yes... i am ALLOWED to like them, even if that is not the status quo.

Just was trying to say, there is no DIRECT tie to OLED 🙂
Like you said, it MAY come fast, it may not, but it could with current tech as well.

You are right, things may change.. there may be other ways of doing it.. but SOO much of the inudstry is controlled by these BIG guys.. it will be hard pressed to change that quickly in my opinion... but i will be gladly proven wrong if it does 🙂

(the copywrite/distribution thing worrys me a bit though.. some places are taking it too far.  Did you know AMC recently has said that NONE of their actors can go to ANY fan convention without AMC aproving it and sponsoring it?  They are not allowed to sign a single autograph, and if they do it has to be on a AMC produced picture, sold by them, etc?... taking it a little out of hand 😞  )

-------------------

Anyways.. Back on topic

the re alignment happens.. tomorrow if i am correct?... will have to check the channels with the 'gaps' to see if anything has bee filled into them..

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:
They may one day, they may never. Lets leave that judgement until it does happen.

As has been stated, if you are that unhappy you can change your service to another provider.

Sorry Gdkitty, I am not willing to leave it alone until it does happen.  

Let us look at this thread a bit. A couple of major issues have been raised. The main issue is Rogers moving some channels from the VIP Package (Spike and BBC World News) to different specialty packages). VIP is expensive. Losing channels and having to pay more would likely make more than a few customers very angry. Rogers usually raises prices every March. This year, they also announced a second increase in the summer. Then incredibly, they raised prices once more in January, 2013. Since it would not look good for them to raise prices a 4th time in a year they moved channels from very expensive VIP packages to new specialty packages, thus forcing customers to pay more if they wish to retain these packages! Very sneaky indeed. 

Another issue is the conversion from analogue to digital. I understand this. I know WHY they are doing this. The bottom line line is that they are currently providing a free DTA. In all honesty, do you really think this will be free forever. With Rogers, not a chance! OLDYELLR states "The DTAs are free. How else would Rogers retain analog cable customers?" Answer: the same way they retained customers when they began charging for modems for Internet. People have very limited choice in Canada. It is Rogers or the competition. Mark my words Gdkiity - in another year or so Rogers will begin charging, at the very least, a nominal rental fee for the DTA. Their hope will be that many customers will switch to a more expensive digital box or an even more expensive PVR. Rogers is not stupid, but they treat their customers like chumps!

Tmothy12
I'm a Regular

@Gdkitty wrote:

You are not an employee but you have a workplace?

I thought the channel re-alignment was next month.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Tmothy12

He means his job. None of us work for Rogers unless we say we do or have " Rogers" in front of our usernames.

@Everyone

We need to stay on topic here guys. No need to assume or say who works for Rogers here and what not like that. That needs to stop because its not needed here as we all are trying to help out in our own way.

I am saying this not protecting him or anything, i am saying this because no one needs to point fingers on who works where and assume. Its not your job to assume stuff like this as we are all users here doing this on our own time without getting paid.

If you have a issue with a user, PM them and do it that way. So lets stay on topic here.
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tmothy12 wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

You are not an employee but you have a workplace?

I thought the channel re-alignment was next month.

What meomix said.. at my regular job 😛

I just have down time between support calls, so i try to help here.

------------------------------------------------

I dont have the sheet infront of me, but you may be right.. i was thinking the 23rd.. but it may be May 23.

My brain has been a little scrabled lately.. im suprised my socks match this morning 😛

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

This was at the end of my Feb 15 bill:

Information about your Rogers services
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT OUR CABLE TV NETWORK
ENHANCEMENT & RELATED ANALOG CHANNEL CHANGES
Our Cable TV network enhancement from analog to digital is underway. There continues to
be no changes to your digital services. Starting March 25, 2013, if you view TELETOON
(East), AMC (American Movie Classics) or Turner Classic Movies on any TV directly
connected to a cable outlet (NO digital box or digital adaptor is connected) you will require
a Digital Adapter which is available to you at no charge. If you do not watch these channels
on any TV directly connected to a cable outlet, or if you have already ordered and
connected your free Digital Adapter(s), then no further action is required at this time. All
other aspects of your Rogers service(s) will remain the same. Please continue to refer to
your bill for any future channel impacts. If you still need to order, for further details, or if
you have any questions, kindly visit rogers.com/digitaladapter or call us at 1 800 530-4034.
Thank you.

Not that channel realignment can be different for different regions.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oldyellr,

That is for the analog to digital conversion... which is a seperate thing from the channel re-alignment.

Though, i think that is what i was getting my dates mixed up with.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Ooops, you're right, GDkitty! I thought I was getting the dates mixed up too. The channel realignment notice was a seperate letter, not part of my Rogers bill and  showed the channels in a table and will indeed take place staarting May 23.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am guessing, with the analog cut off of AMC, your going to get alot of analog people.. un aware of the analog cut off (there are ALOT  of them.. considering its all on the bill about the cutoffs..)... and complaining about the switch over happening EARLY.