cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel Not Available Error Message

Leafer
I Plan to Stick Around

Good morning.

I am a Rogers VIP subscriber in Ottawa. Commencing yesterday evening, when I try to access certain channels, I receive a couple error messages. The problem persists this morning as well.

For example, the following is for Channel 41 (RDS):

RDS_SDV
Tuning RDS...

One Moment Please

After about 5 seconds, the message changes to:

Channel Not Available

The channel is currently not available.

Please try again later.

Return to previous channel.

I followed the steps outlined in the Self Service portal, but no luck so I called the Rogers support number as directed (613-516-3819) and was walked through several processes including the complete rebooting of the Digital box from Rogers end.

Despite all our efforts, the problem has not been resolved so a ticket was raised (C27285632) as the customer service rep seemed to think that the problem was definitely a Rogers service issue.

It is important to note that not all the stations subscribed to with my VIP service displays the error messages. Some standard stations are also affected whereas some VIP stations are not affected. Below is a partial list of the stations that I am having the problems with:

11 (CFJP)

35 (TV5)

37 (MPLS)

41 (RDS)

60 (CNLD)

64 (VRAK)

72 (VIVA)

73 (GTV)

75 (SNW)

76 (SNP)

77 (NFLNT)

78 (GOLF)

79 (CNBC)

80 (HN)

82 (ACTN)

83 (DIVA)

84 (IFC)

85 (NATG)

86 (MTIME)

87 (BBCC)

88 (DHC)

89 (DIY)

I do not use a HD Digital box. I am using a Standard Digital box from Rogers (Scientific Atlanta).

Are there others experiencing the same problems or has a resolution been posted?

Thanks in advance.

***Edited labels***

74 REPLIES 74

Channel Not Available Error Message

ottawahomeboy
I've Been Around

Over the last 2 weeks my 2 boxes have started to give me the "Channel not Available " message for several channels 167, 525, 54, 544, 562(movie Time), 568 and several more. What's up with that? I reset my boxes through the self service section on the guide and they are still messed up? Not getting what I pay for from Rogers, thinking of switching to Bell or Shaw.

Re: Channel Not Available Error Message

Especially if you are having more than one channel having issues... its more than likely signal related.

have you called in to get them to check signal levels?
Have a technician out?

SOmetimes, all it might be is a simple splitter or cable that needs to be replaced... they do wear out over time.
A technician can check from the street, to the outside, inside, etc.  Replace as needed, even put in a power booster if needed.

IF who you switch to, ends up using the same cabling inside the house to get from TV to TV, you might end up with similar issues if its something inside which has worn out.

OttawaHere
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm in Ottawa and getting ''Channel not available ''message .... The message seems to be mostly on 185 (MSNBC) but also sometimes on the weather network 586 .

Rogers customer service is so tedious it makes me hesitant to phone them. Which may be the whole point.

*sigh*

Hello OttawaHere,

I hear you - when you don't feel like waiting on hold or navigating that beastly phone menu, try tweeting @RogersHelps ("follow" them first).  They can take a few hours to respond, but this allows you to get on with your day (work, errands, etc) and get help while on the run.

They are great at helping or pointing you in the right direction, and you are left with an electronic "paper trail" that you can refer to for reference.  Good luck and let us know if they were able to assist!

OttawaHere
I Plan to Stick Around
Ok ..just to update ..I did make several calls when the Channel not available message came up .. seems to be working much better now.
Also ... there was some ''cable''digging work going on nearby soooo that could be connected.
I just felt I should post here to give Rogers their credit when they do fix something ...*swoon ...faints*

elevit
I Plan to Stick Around

I have moved to a 13 y.o. townhouse a month ago.  The technician who was connecting the Rogers service then told me that my cable was cheap/older and that is why I got the "Channel Not available" message several times with my box located in the basement (only), and that I would need to change the cable and run it through the house etc. by hiring someone privately (he said Rogers could not do that).  It seemed the issue disappeared, but last week we noticed it started happening again and again.  Multiple channels were becoming unavailable, and then avaialable and then unavailable again... on all three boxes.

Rogers technicain will be coming over on Saturday to take a look. 

So, my question is: Am I in a position to ask Rogers replace/run the newer cable if it is, in fact, an issue?  Was the initial technician just lazy to do that when he noticed that issue?  Alrenatively, will I have to hire somebody privately indeed and pay for this work?

Thank you very much for your input.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers can not run anything inside walls, etc.
They are not legaly covered to do so.
So generally yes, inside the house, any cable lines that would need to be replaced, is under the OWNERs responsibility.

All that being said, there is more that the tech could have done.

Putting an inline booster, at least for the one or so runs that are having issues.. push it HIGHER than it should be, so even with the LOSS might end up being ok in the end, etc.

elevit
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks a lot Gdkitty!  That's the answer I was looking for.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

When I've had signal problems the Rogers tech has replaced splitters and connectors no charge. Once he just laid a generous length of new cable on the basement floor connected from where it comes in to where my TV was at the other end of the house. I had to stuff it up in my drop ceiling.  But this is a 35-year-old house that originally had a TV tower. I can't even remember who did what when I first got cable. I believe most new houses now get cable put in to most rooms by the builder and Rogers just connects to that.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

smithworld101
I've Been Around

Hi - I am in Toronto and have a similar problem.  For the past week 16 of the basic cable channels are not reachable - the green box error message is on screen.  I wondered if anyone else had the problem.  I have the basic digital router supplied by Rogers. 

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@smithworld101 wrote:

Hi - I am in Toronto and have a similar problem.  For the past week 16 of the basic cable channels are not reachable - the green box error message is on screen.  I wondered if anyone else had the problem.  I have the basic digital router supplied by Rogers. 

What do you mean by "basic digital router "? A DTA50 digital adapter?

NEXUS10
I've Been Here Awhile

I have this problem once in a while, as I'm pretty sure everyone does. One

day I had this message on a few channels. This went on for about 3 days.

I started researching on the net. I stumbled on someones posting which

said to uplug the cable-in to the back of your box and touch the copper

wire in the middle. Then screw it back on. I was quite surprised that this

actually worked. Something about static electricity building up on the cable.

It works for me every time.

NEXUS10
I've Been Here Awhile

I forgot to mention that you have to retune the channel. That is, go to another channel and back again

to see the result.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

This is an older thread and I just came across it again. I had this problem about a week ago, but it started as shows from west coast channels getting recorded in just a few short clips on my SA8300HD. Then CHCH Hamilton didn't record and would come up "Channel not available".  The odd part was that this only happened on the HD channel on my 8300HD, not on my 8300SD or DTA50. I called Rogers and they opened a ticket. Another couple of days later the problem appeared to be gone. In the meantime I've had a couple of responses from Rogers about the ticket, but no word of what was found or fixed. Since the problem now appears to be gone, I doubt if anything will be found.

ddori07
I've Been Around

We had the same issue and it took 3 onsite techs and over a year of multiple calls and multuile agents to finally get resolved.

Older tv splitters won't work.  You need to use their new 'equalizer' to handle a higher frequency range for hi def channels.

Also, Rogers leaving a temp cable hanging between trees for over a year contributed to a low signal issue.

Yet another service call has been placed to have it buried.

YEah...
Having a TEMP line up can fix signal issues from an exisiting burried line..

But leaving one haning too long, can result in that too 😛  (not designed for it, more exposed, etc).

When dealing with a burry.. call in first, and make/get them to put in a ticket to have it done.
Leave it a few days/week.. call back.. make sure its still there.
Any issues, etc... call and be asked to speak to the cable bury department.  There is one, i have talked/dealt with them in the past.
Also.. for your protection.. play it smart.. and MARK or something on your EXISTING stuff, so you know whats what.

EG:
We had a major signal issue.  Temp line put up.  Didnt get burried over fall, thats fine, figure spring? Spring, nothing.  Call and they never had put a ticket in for it 😞  Talk to burry department and arange the bury.
Now, i had been watching as the tech put up the temp, etc.. and KNEW what my old burried line looked like, where connected.
Came home one day around when the bury was to be done.. temp line gone.. oh they must have done it.... grass doesnt seem disturbed..  and lo and behold.. they just re-attached the old burried line.
Now.. rogers for MOST areas, for the burries.. DO NOT do the work themselves.  They use 3rd party companies.
I call the bury department back and tell them what happened.  They are sceptical (thinking i dont know what i am looking at/for).  They say that they have a work order here from the bury company, saying it was done.. a charge for 150ft of cable, etc....
Wait.. what?  Its like 40ft.. 50 MAX from the box which is in front of MY house to the side of the house.
Guy agrees... something fishy... he sends a rogers guy out to meet with me, as well as a manager from the cable bury company.  All agree.. they cheated both ME and Rogers.
Next day, was burried properly.

Bshivnauth
I've Been Here Awhile

For those still looking for a solution, I contacted Rogers and it appeared that my box had a poor signal coming in. I figured that it had to be a splitter issue. Initially the cable coming into the box was fed through 2 splitters. I switched it to only use one splitter and the issue is resolved. It seems that the channels that are broadcasted through on a lower signal (Viceland, RDS, TVA Sports) are affected by multiple splitters. 

Hope this helps anyone who is looking.

gordonc
I've Been Here Awhile

I have  a 'rented' NEXTBOX 8600 HD.

For months now i cannot see 23 channels between 200 and 300.

AAL MY FAVORITES.  AAARRRHhhhh.... urge to K***.

Is my box 'obsolete"?

Seems to work sometimes if I 'pull the plug and wait 10 minutes..

Seriously thinking of dumping all but phone, also expensive, and internet .

Resident Expert
Resident Expert
@gordonc wrote:

I have  a 'rented' NEXTBOX 8600 HD.

For months now i cannot see 23 channels between 200 and 300.

AAL MY FAVORITES.  AAARRRHhhhh.... urge to K***.

Is my box 'obsolete"?

Seems to work sometimes if I 'pull the plug and wait 10 minutes..

Seriously thinking of dumping all but phone, also expensive, and internet .

As discussed many times on this forum these sorts of issues are almost always related to a poor signal. This can be in your home or in your neighbourhood.  Call Rogers and have them check your signal at the box (have the 8600 serial number handy) and have them check your neighbourhood.

Here's a previous post on the topic and how to check it yourself too:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

siuolly
I'm Here A Lot

Some HD channels not available

For the last two weeks, some of the HD channels are not available. (Smithsonian, Hifi BBC earth). I reported the problem and they can’t solve it and assign someone over. The person came of and put in a new signal booster and seems to resolve. However a day later now it happen again. Anyone has this problem and what should I do? Schedule another service? My TV contract is up so if they can’t solve it quickly I’ll be moving for sure. I had enough paying a premium price without a premium service.

Hello, @siuolly.

Thank you for your patience. I can certainly appreciate your position, the recurring of the issue after the tech visit can be upsetting. 

We can look into the matter further and take the next step in finding the solution. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You check our blog if you require assistance with the private messaging.

Cheers,

RogersMoin