cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel Not Available Error Message

Leafer
I Plan to Stick Around

Good morning.

I am a Rogers VIP subscriber in Ottawa. Commencing yesterday evening, when I try to access certain channels, I receive a couple error messages. The problem persists this morning as well.

For example, the following is for Channel 41 (RDS):

RDS_SDV
Tuning RDS...

One Moment Please

After about 5 seconds, the message changes to:

Channel Not Available

The channel is currently not available.

Please try again later.

Return to previous channel.

I followed the steps outlined in the Self Service portal, but no luck so I called the Rogers support number as directed (613-516-3819) and was walked through several processes including the complete rebooting of the Digital box from Rogers end.

Despite all our efforts, the problem has not been resolved so a ticket was raised (C27285632) as the customer service rep seemed to think that the problem was definitely a Rogers service issue.

It is important to note that not all the stations subscribed to with my VIP service displays the error messages. Some standard stations are also affected whereas some VIP stations are not affected. Below is a partial list of the stations that I am having the problems with:

11 (CFJP)

35 (TV5)

37 (MPLS)

41 (RDS)

60 (CNLD)

64 (VRAK)

72 (VIVA)

73 (GTV)

75 (SNW)

76 (SNP)

77 (NFLNT)

78 (GOLF)

79 (CNBC)

80 (HN)

82 (ACTN)

83 (DIVA)

84 (IFC)

85 (NATG)

86 (MTIME)

87 (BBCC)

88 (DHC)

89 (DIY)

I do not use a HD Digital box. I am using a Standard Digital box from Rogers (Scientific Atlanta).

Are there others experiencing the same problems or has a resolution been posted?

Thanks in advance.

***Edited labels***

74 REPLIES 74

Re: Channel Not Available Error Message

check your signal strength. i had a same problem, the teck opened a ticket, apparently the SDV wasn't working they can fix it, but they need to open a ticket make sure they open a ticket

supervillain
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, the tech's put a ticket in yesterday for my on demand issues, but not for this particular issue.  I will probably kick myself for asking this when I find out what it is, but what is SDV?

**update**

Turns out my hd box is not communicating with their servers.  I am receiving but not transmitting.  I am getting a tech here on monday to sort it out hopefully!

supervillain
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, it seems to have fixed itself....I didn't do anything, just decided to try out ROD and it worked....strange.  I am still going to have the tech come and check out my signal and connections though.

RG
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey everyone,

I've been having the exact same problems.  Just recently got VIP and everything worked fine for the first week, then I started getting the tuning channel message.  I thought it was the spliiter so I tried three different ones and the same thing would happen.  So what I am doing to temporarily fix the problem is disconnecting then connecting the coax.  That would work for about a day, sometimes longer.  I then thought that there was some sort of interference by the location of the splitter due to a cheap power bar, so i removed the power bar and that actually fixed the problem for awhile, but came back.  So I'm thinking that may be the problem. has anyone tried plugging the coax into a surge protector which has a filter? would that help? does anyone else have any ideas?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i would check your signal strength. that message usually is a sign you have poor signal coming into your STB.  rogers has the responsibility to provide sufficient signal to your equipment.

RG
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the reply,

Thats the thing, my signal does drop, but when I disconnect then reconnect the coax It'll be fine again.  If it was the signal coming into the house wouldn't it be constantly poor no matter what I did?

leman
I Plan to Stick Around

@RG

sometimes, if there is a fault on the cable, either internally or outside, ie the cable underground or aerial to the house. You can get capacitance build up,  messing with the cable can discharge and  "reset"  the connection.   There is a fault somewhere and you should get  a tech out to diagnose the problem.   

Gypsy
I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

Same thing has been happening to me - started last Thursday - I was watching the OWN network and all of sudden the picture froze.  Then, I could not access several HD channels and get the message below.  Still happening as of last night. 

Is anybody from Roger's looking into this problem?

RDS_SDV
Tuning RDS...

One Moment Please

After about 5 seconds, the message changes to:

Channel Not Available

The channel is currently not available.

Please try again later.

Return to previous channel.

Hi there, thanks for your tip. Let me try.

JanPauline
I've Been Around

Hello

I am having the same problem with the channel not available error message and I live in Kitchener.  Certain channels send a message that it is trying to tune in and then says channels not available.  I don't have the patience to deal with Rogers and as I read all the messages in the forum, it seems it won't help anyway.  I pay good money for the service and feel I am being completely ripped off.  When I power up the digital terminal I receive the channels, but its becoming a pain having to do that every day.  I called Rogers automated line and said I wanted the terminal reset and there is not change.  I'm completely frustrated with Rogers!  I am hoping someone can figure out this issue.  Thank you in advance for any help someone can give me.

Hello JanPauline,

I've been having the same problem as you. I've resetted my terminal (turning it on and off) and some channels started to work fine. I don't think its the issue with the terminal but the issue with rogers service. Your best bet is to wait until the channels are back on.

allysp
I've Been Here Awhile

I set up my new cable box (switched from regular to pvr) and everything was fine and working, I was watching AMC but then i left to watch a movie. When I came back to turn on my tv the cable wasn't working. every channel I flick to says I’m not subscribed. I tried unplugging and plugging back in, and holding the power button. what do I do?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

try giveing a call in, and have them re-initialize the box

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello allysp

When the channel is showing you that message, it means that the box may not be authorized on the account or something is going on. Best thing to do is a situation like this is to contact Rogers cable department and have them reauthorize the box on your account. If that does not fix the issue, it could mean a tech needs to come and see what's going on

allysp
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks! that may be the issue, when my mom moved she gave me her old box!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Did she just give you the box and you just plug it in?

THAT could be your problem.  You need to have her, remove it from her account.. and then you add it to your account, for it to properly work.

kszeto0209
I've Been Here Awhile

I live in a large condo building and I use an HD box.  I've had this problem for quite some time now (at least a couple of years).  Previously this happened only occasionally and the message would just go away after a couple of minutes and the channels would start working.  However recently this happens every time I turn on the TV.  It would always happen to the same channels and only HD channels - the ones that are less popular like the French channels.  For example, the French CBC standard definition channel 601 would work but the HD channel 602 would not.   If I leave the TV on for about 20 minutes or so, some of the channels may come back.  I suspect that this might have something to do with the cable bandwidth being full that it is now carrying more HD channels than ever before and the popular channels get higher priority.

You can often get this message, if the signal is weak/not proper as well.

Is there any splitters, etc installed?

Might be worth a tech out.. they can check things, replace cables, etc.. might fix the issue.

Hongster
I've Been Here Awhile

I have 2 Scientific Atlantic 4250HD boxes, purchased back in 2008.  Just moved into a new home and all of a sudden, 1 box does not work properly.  It gets the "channel not available" error on some of the HD channels.  I've switched the boxes location and the issue always occurs with the one box, not the other.  Had a tech come and did some fidgiting with the connections.  He mentioned that I might just need to upgrade the bad box??? These both worked fine in my previous house so what are the odds that all of sudden 1 of them would go bad??

I recall having this problem when I first moved into my previous home several years ago when I first purchased these boxes and the tech then changed out the splitter and removed a signal amplifier and all was well.

Strange though that only 1 box is affected by this issue, which tells me that somehow it is not communicating with the Rogers, as was previously mentioned in past posts.  This makes sense to me logically so anyone have any ideas on a solution to getting the box to start communicating again?

Thanks for your input and ideas.

The message, is usually caused by one of two things.

A) signal

B) box not on the account properly/authorized properly

That you changed the location, where the one box worked OK, and the other didnt still... means that the signal should be fine in that location (could be not great in the other location.. try the GOOD box in that other room?)

I would assume then its an authorization issue.   Give a call into support..  have them double check that both boxes are on the account properly (check the S/N).
I would even have them REMOVE the problem box, and re-add it, and re authorize it.. see if that helps.

Hongster
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks Gdkitty for the help and suggestions. Was about to do your recommendations so turned on the tv/STB to have a reference of problem channels and voila! All is suddenly back up and running!!!! Not sure why, but all I can say is it may have just been stuck trying to communicate. Once it got through, I'm back up. Hopefully the issue doesn't come ip again but if it does, I'll give Rogers a call to remove and re-add to the account as suggested...regards