Channel 518 - HD Feed

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shamrock2007
I Plan to Stick Around

Channel 518 - HD Feed

Hi, I have a question about channel 518. I have watched the CTV Toronto news quite happily on this channel in full screen HD format for some time. For some reason Rogers has changed 518 from CTV Toronto HD to CTV Kitchener (not HD). Now, if I want to watch CTV News Toronto I have to tune to channel 108 which is not in HD and shows as a smaller picture in the center of my screen which is very anoying. Is there no full screen HD CTV Toronto News available to me here in Guelph? 

***Edited labels***

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Channel 518 - HD Feed

Not on Rogers, no.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I get the same thing, a small picture in the middle of the screen that I have to zoom to fill the screen. 108 is 4:3. CTV News (18) comes in HD. I usually watch CTV Kitchener on Channel 8. I record a lot of prime time shows on 8 and they've always been in HD. Right now  (around 9:30 a.m.) I'm seeing an Operation Smile promotional program in a small 16:9 picture. Funny thing, bur CTV Vancouver (581) is HD. I have the VIP package. Some of these channels I don't normally watch in the daytime, so I can't say if anything has changed. But I do wonder if Rogers is cutting back on HD channels available so they can upsell a more expensive package.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
shamrock2007
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the VIP package as well OLDYELLR. My channel 8 is a french channel (I'm in Guelph Ont) As you mentioned CTV Toronto used to be a full screen HD channel but they switched it to Kitchener awhile back. As you also mentioned you can adjust your picture size on channel 108 but then it is no longer HD.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I get the same thing, a small picture in the middle of the screen that I have to zoom to fill the screen. 108 is 4:3. CTV News (18) comes in HD. I usually watch CTV Kitchener on Channel 8. I record a lot of prime time shows on 8 and they've always been in HD. Right now  (around 9:30 a.m.) I'm seeing an Operation Smile promotional program in a small 16:9 picture. Funny thing, bur CTV Vancouver (581) is HD. I have the VIP package. Some of these channels I don't normally watch in the daytime, so I can't say if anything has changed. But I do wonder if Rogers is cutting back on HD channels available so they can upsell a more expensive package.

Put the tinfoil hats away, there's no conspiracy.

Rogers has always only offered two HD feeds for network programming...a local feed and one regional feed.  So, in Ottawa for example, we get CTV Ottawa HD, and CTV Vancouver HD (until CTV Ottawa upgraded, we used to get the Toronto CTV in HD).

Remember, the format the program was recorded in has a bearing on how its displayed as well.  A show recorded in SD is never going to display properly on an HD channel.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Lurker wrote:

Remember, the format the program was recorded in has a bearing on how its displayed as well.  A show recorded in SD is never going to display properly on an HD channel.

That's what I was thinking. I notice that especially during commercials where the screen format changes back and forth. They wouldn't want a commercial with the frame cut off top and bottom so you miss vital information. 😉

BTW, Channel 8 CTV Kitchener is now full 16:9 HD for me. The programming this morning must have been recorded in SD.

Another couple of channels that only come is as SD (720x480) and I have to zoom to fill the screen are PBS (21) and BBC Canada (87).

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
shamrock2007
I Plan to Stick Around

As I mentioned earlier my channel 8 here in Guelph is a french channel. I get Kitchener on channel 518 and it certainly is not HD.

Square
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Shamrock: 

No, ctv news here in kitchener is not HD.  I guess Bell doesn't have enough money to upgrade!(they own ctv)

But Rogers is just as bad, they refuse to upgrade channel 20 here to HD.    I have written ctv kitchener about it, but they don't even send me a response.    At least rogers sent me a response saying channel 20 will be coming HD sometime this year.

Square

No, CTV Kitchener News is not HD.   I guess the owner of the station (rhymes with SELL) has no money to upgrade!

My local channel 20 is not in HD either, guess (rhymes with DOGERS) has no money either, lol.

Square

Ya, I have been bugging CTV Kitchener awhile to switch to HD news. Not a single reply to my posts. 😞