Changing wireless phone number changes us to more expensive plan?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Changing wireless phone number changes us to more expensive plan?

My wife and I moved provinces and asked Rogers to have our phone numbers changed. We were told by the rogers representative it was free to change our numbers. This was easily done by rogers.

The first Rogers bill now shows our original plan was canceled.  And we have a new plan.

Result: A plan that is 50% MORE EXPENSIVE with an increase in data we don't need! 

Questions:

1. Why was the original plan not kept ?

2. Why a new more expensive plan? 

3. Can we not just change our phone number and keep our original plan?

4. Do we now have a new contract for another 3 years?

The new changes and costs were never communicated to us when talking to the rogers representative. 

Please help and advise.  My wife and I are on a tight budget and this is really unexpected.

Thank you.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Changing wireless phone number changes us to more expensive plan?

Never heard of having to change plans like that for a number change before.

Think someone REALLY screwed up.

Call back and ask to talk to a manger.
Now, the system allows grandfathering of old plans, but can not assign them anymore. They likely can not add the old one back 😞
But hopefully with the managers or retentions help, can get you on and equivalent plan, and adjust the pricing so its more similar.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Changing wireless phone number changes us to more expensive plan?

If you change your number from a location with a regional plan(e.g Manitoba) to and area with just standard plans(e.g Ontario), you have to change your price plan. However, the representative should have explained this to you before they did the number change instead of just changing the plan without your consent. Call and express your concerns and they may be able to put you on a comparable plan.