Changing SIM on prepaid?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndrewYWW
I've Been Here Awhile

Changing SIM on prepaid?

Just had a couple questions about changing one's SIM card on a prepaid account.

1) If I change my SIM card, will my prepaid plan and balance also be transferred?
2) It doesn't seem as if I can register a new SIM card on myRogers. The option just doesn't seem to be available on my prepaid account, but appears for postpaid users (I get redirected when I use the link https://www.rogers.com/web/RogersServices.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=ChangeSimCard). I suppose my only option would be to have it changed at a Rogers store, but I'm wondering if I'll have to pay any fees on top of purchasing the SIM card?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Changing SIM on prepaid?

Hello AndrewYWW

1. Yes it will. Changing the sim will cause no issues. You just need to do this at the store or Call PayGo to do it.

2.There is no fee if you want to change a sim card. all you need to do is go to your local rogers store & do it there.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Best to do it in the store.

No there shouldn't be any other fees

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello AndrewYWW

1. Yes it will. Changing the sim will cause no issues. You just need to do this at the store or Call PayGo to do it.

2.There is no fee if you want to change a sim card. all you need to do is go to your local rogers store & do it there.

View solution in original post

weis
I'm Here A Lot

I have an existing pre-paid account with Rogers, and I just got a new unlocked phone and a new sim card (phone needs nano sim). So now I am trying to update the sim # for the account.

After I log into My Rogers, under my prepaid account, I expected there is an option to change sim, but it is not there. There are options to change plan, change wireless number, change PIN, manage add-ons, but no "change sim". 

I saw some postings about having to link the account to the profile, but I am guessing it is already linked in my case (got error when I tried to link it). 

So what am I missing? Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks! 
OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello AndrewYWW

2.There is no fee if you want to change asim card. all you need to do is go to your local rogers store & do it there.

As @weis says, with a PayGo account, there's no on-line option to "Change SIM". I also would have suggested going to a Rogers store to get that done, but the last time I tried to get PayGo help at my store (renew my plan) I was told they don't do that and I had to call the PayGo number. Seems PayGo customers are the red-headed stepchildren because we're not the cash cows. Smiley Sad  Rogers only offers us a flipphone for $60 while Walmart has all kinds of unlocked prepaid phones from $45 to $500.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Alpine1
I'm Here A Lot

If I buy a new Sim Card for my Rogers PAY AS YOU GO phone, will I get a new phone number too?

Also, I have the basic Nokia phone so will the "LTE Multi SIM Card" work with that phone?

lousk
I've Been Here Awhile

Folks,

I need to buy or pick up a new micro SIM cart for my new mobile phone in order to swap and activate my existing PAYG service with Rogers. The reason being, my old mobile phone has got the full size SIM and do not want to cut it to fit a micro slot.

So I stopped at a none Rogers store to purchase the new micro SIM for my new unlocked cellphone. I was asked what service do I have with Rogers, I replied PAYG. So he said, "Sorry we don't carry Rogers PAYG SIMs here. The ones we have will only work on Rogers with plans, not prepaid or PAYG. When you go somewhere else to pick one up, make sure you let them know it is going to be activated and used with PAYG, not prepaid since they are different SIMs for different Rogers wireless service."

I have never came accross such a thing, especially from another wireless service provider. 

Could you please validate the information above? If it is in fact true, how can I tell which is which? Let say if I buy it elsewhere and not from Rogers store.

Your insight would be truly appreciated. Thanks!

ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hello @lousk

o(^__^)o

I have expertise in postpaid environment, and I have not come across how and why a SIM card will be for Postpaid (Monthly) only and not also used for Prepaid (PayGO). Which both use the same system.

I have also helped customer migrates out of PayGO to a Postpaid account and vise-versa based on their needs.

So... yeah. I'll agree with you there.

You can just grab the sim card from any Rogers store, you can grab the newer sims if you'd like, they are multi-size (so you can break it to what ever size you want), and you will be good to go.

SIM cards for Rogers are not designated for one or the other. They work on both equally.

Hope this Helps, and assisted with validation of information provided earlier to you. 🙂

lousk
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you so much for the prompt reply and for your insight!

ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

You're welcome @lousk 😄 Cheers!