cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to do Hardware Upgrade Policy to 36 Months

VTor
I've Been Here Awhile

I got my iPhone 4 right when it came out in 2010. At that time I was a candidate for a full hardware upgrade with no extra fees (I was coming from an iPhone 3G). Fast forward 2 years and some months later.....I now have to pay a huge hardware upgrade fee since the policy has now changed to 36 months for full hardware upgrade!

I just called and here's what I have to pay for the iPhone 5.

143 Fee + iPhone 5 Price + 35 Admin =( 

- the fee is 13$/mth for every month you have left on your contract

Is anyone else in the same situation and got the iPhone 4 when it came out in 2010?

I'm better off waiting until my contract ends  and switching to another company! OR even buying the phone straight through Apple no contract.

I've been a customer for so long...I guess that's why they gave me an extra 143$ to pay! lol

****Edited Labels****

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Changes to do Hardware Upgrade Policy to 36 Months

This thread was from almost 2 years ago.

ALL carriers in canada, can only do a max of 2 years now.

BUT (and this doesnt just go for rogers, goes for all of them... bell, telus, even most of the smaller guys), they have increased phone plans up as well to compensate for it.

Unfortunately your going to find much the same policies in just about any carrier in canada.

Update 

Any customer that is on a term for their device would need to complete their current term in order to do an Upgrade; however, any customer is eliglible for an early upgrade once they pay the remaining fees left on the device they would like to upgrade. Rogers policy now places customers on  a 2 year term  (24 months) when completing any upgrades. Rogers no longer has 3 year terms (36months).

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

famjam01
I've Been Around

I want to upgrade for my iPhone 3gs to another smartphone, but I'm not sure if I'm eligible. I know that Rogers changed their policy so now you can do stuff that I don't really understand. I'm 23 months into my 36 month family plan along with 2 other iPhones. I believe that you can upgrade your phone within the contract and keep a new phone for the remaining 13 months or you can completely upgrade to a new plan and re-sign another contract. Am I eligible for anything?

Chrystiality
I Plan to Stick Around

Go into your My Rogers account, and by the pic that represents your phone, you should see a few lines... click on the one that says "Upgrade My Phone". This will open another page, where there will be a drop-down box with various phones you can choose from. Pick one of those (even if they aren't to your liking", and it will give you a breakdown of what it would cost you to upgrade.

You WILL be eligible for another phone, but it will cost you more. If you were 30 months into your contract, it would cost you the minimum amount. But, since you're on a family plan, which is rather pricey, Rogers may be willing to waive some of those extra fee's. You'd best talk to a Rogers rep (on the phone - they can put you through to Retention, which can give you a better deal. In person reps at the stores can't do this) to see what the best 'deal' is they can give you.

Depending on the price, you may want to see about buying the phone outright (from someone else... amazon or some other online retailer). Might be cheaper in the long run.

Good luck!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Yes. Everyone has to go threw all this. Rogers changed it a while back to 36 months & even wrote about it on the invoice is & even said it many times. We all have to pay a different price because some of us bought the iPhone 4S aswell.

Hopefully Rogers may run a promotion but we will see.

You can speak to Retentions ( Cancellations) & see if they can waive half of the price off or try all of it. They may be able to do it if you explain & tell them you want to leave.

Rogers is not the only one. Most carriers did this & then Rogers intruduced the FlexTab. Once you get lets say the iPhone 5 16GB, & lets say you pay $159 for it, you will own the rest & with that you can cancel the contract OR pay the remaming amount & upgrade to a new phone. Every carrier is doing that now, not just Rogers.

Yeah, the change to the flex tab, while you still have to pay out something if you got your phone on contract, is much better in some ways.

Right now, its a set fee, based on the 36 months, per month, etc.

With the flex tab, its based on a similar term, but based on what price you saved on the phone.  So if you were not buying the TOP end most expensive phone, but still taking the price cut while on contract, could be that you only have to pay $7/m for whats left, instead of MORE.

Sexy_OG
I've Been Around

I just called and are the exact same boat as you... Cat Mad

Bigest thing.. if you dont ever want to get stuck paying potenial fees, etc.. the trick is not to sign a contract.
This will require you paying the full price of the phone upfront.

But, if 3 months down the road, something new comes up, you can just change over.

Thirsks
I've Been Around

What was the price of the iPhone?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
The new one? I beleive the 16g model is $699. The bigger storage ones are more.

mirakal
I've Been Around

I am in the exact situation like yourself. I gave Rogers a piece of my mind and really I believe GREED should have its limits but apparently with Rogers there are no limits. Just to teach them a lesson which I know they dont really give a care about I cancelled my phone contract with them and I went with Wind Mobile with their Galaxy phone 29/ month unlimited text, voice and data. I would suggest you do the same. Iphone does not hold the sway anymore for me and all thanks to Rogers. Good luck to you.

**edited for content**

VTor
I've Been Here Awhile

Well it's ovbious if I didn't sign a contract and bought the phone straight there are no fees. lol. I could have done that easily. I might even do that now for the iPhone 5. 

My point is that Rogers changed their upgrade policy from 24 to 36 months which is causing loyal, paying, good customers who shell out  $$$ every month to now pay an upgrade fee.

If I lived in the US the max contract is 2 years. I would have been eligible for the iPhone 5 at no extra fees. My point here is that the policy change is pretty much messes people up.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do agree.. this cought my sister in law as well.  She got a 4s a few month ago...

It was originaly 24.. then when she went in at 24, they said it had swiched to 30... thats fine.. she waited a few more months.. and then it went to 36.. by the time she waited, it ended up being the same fees as if she had bought it on the first time she went in 😛

This primarly is only effecting people still on exisiting old contracts.  At least they have chanded it now, with the new flex tab.. time really doesnt take an effect, other than how much has or hasnt been taken off.. but you can pay it off at any time, and then upgrade at any time.. you buy right now.. no upgrade fee anymore.

Hi,

Hardware Upgrade policies and eligibility are promotional in nature. Therefore, like all promotions, the upgrade program is subject to change at any time without notice.

mikspad
I've Been Around

similar situation. what a ripoff.

cheaper for me to cancel my policy - switch and get a free iphone 4 and a cheaper monthly rate.  thanks rogers for causing me to investigate and get savings elsewhere.!!!

@mikspad wrote:

similar situation. what a ripoff.

cheaper for me to cancel my policy - switch and get a free iphone 4 and a cheaper monthly rate.  thanks rogers for causing me to investigate and get savings elsewhere.!!!

In which you will find almost the exact same thing in place in every other company.

The only way to avoid this is to buy the phone outright, and this will avoid the early upgrade fee now.

I was on the phone with Rogers this morning since I have 3 cell phone plans - one for each myself my son and my daughter - so I finally changed to a family plan that saves me $20/ month.

While on the phone I checked upgrade eligibility and was told at that time that my son and I could uprade in February 2013 (24 months after our last upgrade as I was previously told) but my daughter has to wait another year because she got a replacement phone through the handset protection guarantee.  If I wanted to do an upgrade now the early fee would be $65.  I wanted to think about it so I waited until this afternoon to call back about an upgrade for me.

I decided to go ahead with the upgrade so I called back this afternoon.  The agent that I talked to quoted me over $200 for the early upgrade fee.  I complained and told him that I would sooner cancel my plan with Rogers in February than pay the new fees.  His only response was that it would cost me more to cancel the plan than to upgrade.  What happened to customer service?

I signed a contract before this new policy came into effect and I should not be bound by the new terms.  Cell phone companies in this country are becoming about as honest and reliable as the gas companies.

PGN
I'm Here A Lot
Sneaky isn't it.
I remember back when they offered a deal where you bought their new internet modem and ads showed as UnLimited, no caps.

After the selling promotion ended the same modem could be rented. It came with a cap at that point. This included all those previously sold.

I called and they said I could UP my usage cap by paying for the next package. Basically I was told they can change the options (such as the unlimited cap I bought the modem under) as they feel fit.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
To cancel outright, when you have no contract, costs nothing. Canceling, early upgrading, etc all costs money.

All these fees are outlined in the contract. Unfortunately the contracts also stated thy can change the terms. I agree, it does blow, but if we sign he contract, we agree to it.

Again, I am not saying its RIGHT, etc, not backing Rogers up, etc. just stating fact.
You would be surprised almost any contract usually has the same clauses. Software, he car you buy, etc.

The best way to avoid these, is to bite the bullet, spend the full price on things, and don't get a contract.

gerripje
I've Been Here Awhile

Yup me too... I never really read anything in my email statement, but always thought it's weird why when I've had my 3GS now for 15 some odd months why there seems to be an early upgrade fee. I see why now! My phone has been giving me grief for awhile now and at the Roger's store they just say oh yeah, at about the two year mark they start acting up. So now I'm stuck either waiting it out or paying up. I'm going to see what they might do for me considering a got both my kids smartphones on our plan  two weeks before they had the tablet promotion last year.... I tried, but they said oh well, you got the phones before the promotion started so too bad no free tablet for you........ I've been a Roger's customer for ten years now and was a little disappointed they couldn't make an exception for me.....

HogWildMark
I Plan to Stick Around

Have you tried calling Customer Relations to see if they will waive the early upgrade fee.  They are the only ones that have the power and authority to waive such fees.  Thats what I did when I wanted to upgrade my iPhone 3GS to the Galaxy S3. Where I was close to my upgrade date we called Customer Relations to see what they could do. Especially where we have been loyal customers and have all our services with Rogers.

Hi I got my blackberry in march or April of 2011 I was wondering when would I be able to upgrade to maybe an iPhone?  Would their be any charge? I'm on a family plan but I'm the only one with a smart phone and data plan

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats