cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to PVR guide?

greenxeyes
I've Been Around

Has anyone else noticed that there have been changes recently to the way that the guide works on their PVR? When i used to use the recorded list, if I opened up the list while watching a recording or if I erased a program, it would take me back to the place in the recorded list that my selection had been. Now it goes back to the beginning of the recorded list, so I have to find my spot again. Also when I'm selecting a program to record through the guide, it's changed the first option so that it automatically has "tune to [this channel] immediately" instead of "record [the show]" selected. Why would I want to tune to the channel immediately when I'm looking at something three days ahead?! It's so annoying! Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a way to send in a complaint to Rogers so that they might consider changing it back?

***Edited labels***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Changes to PVR guide?

Kaycee
I'm Here A Lot

I'm also experiencing this - the list goes back to the top instead of what I was watching. Very annoying.

But I have another problem as well. I recorded a show yesterday, and when I try to watch it the PVR starts playing an older show from 10 months ago. The show I'm trying to watch is dated 9/25 & it's playing a show dated 11/25 (from 2011). Never seen this before, & now I've missed the season premiere of one of my favourite shows. Anyone else ever experienced this?

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@greenxeyes wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that there have been changes recently to the way that the guide works on their PVR? When i used to use the recorded list, if I opened up the list while watching a recording or if I erased a program, it would take me back to the place in the recorded list that my selection had been. Now it goes back to the beginning of the recorded list, so I have to find my spot again. Also when I'm selecting a program to record through the guide, it's changed the first option so that it automatically has "tune to [this channel] immediately" instead of "record [the show]" selected. Why would I want to tune to the channel immediately when I'm looking at something three days ahead?! It's so annoying! Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a way to send in a complaint to Rogers so that they might consider changing it back?

Record This Show is the first option shown on my guide.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@greenxeyes and Kaycee

The changes you are experiencing are a result of a new firmware update from Rogers. You might also be experiencing other issues such as the hard drive spinning up and down or pauses during playback while the drive spins down. More details are available here. Post #1 has a good summary of the issues.  Happy reading - and try to refrain from cursing Rogers while you are reading!! Smiley Mad

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392

Thanks for the reply, yes I'm getting the frequent spinning up & down too, I remember that happening in the past. But is this update also causing my PVR to play the wrong show?

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

I cannot recall any reports of the update causing the PVR to play the wrong show. Perhaps this is one time where rebooting the box might help solve that problem.

dangit
I've Been Here Awhile
have noticed this as well. called rogers and thay say there is nothing thay can do to reverse it.

The first thing I did when I dicovered the problem was reboot a couple of times with no effect. Must just be a weird glitch in my PVR. I'm afraid to call Rogers about it as they will probably just tell me it needs replacing, but I don't rent from them, I own it. Thank you IHR for your help.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

They wanted to send a tech to our house, which would be a total waste of time. There is nothing wrong with our PVR - at least not until the recent firmware upgrade. You have to love Rogers. First they force a firmware update for the 8300 PVR that fixes many non-problems and you just have to suck it up and live with all the aspects they break in the process. Then they refuse to go back to the previous problem free version. Then they create a master ticket to cover many of the complaints to date (PT00063763), but have no expected fix date!

I plan to call Rogers to complain about the changes & the constant spinning up of my PVR - the more voices the better, not that I'm optimistic that it will have any effect. I suppose quoting the master ticket number will help?

Regarding my issue with my PVR playing the wrong show, I erased the show from last Nov that it was playing, & that did the trick, it now plays the show I recorded on Tuesday. Interesting glitch.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As IHR said, sending a tech out, will do nothing to help.

But i do agree, that still call in.. if its still happening in a week, call in again.
The more tickets in the more complaints, the more likely it is to be delt with.  Not guaranteed, but brings more pressure that there are more and more problem tickets.