Cell Phone WI-FI Connections to Rocket Hub Server

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Cell Phone WI-FI Connections to Rocket Hub Server

Any one out there have any solutions to why my Samsung Galaxy S and my wife's IPhone 3G have issues connecting to the our Rogers Network.  When the phones actually comply and connect to the WI-FI internet browsing is horribly slow.  We have recently set up a Rogers Wireless Network with the NETCOMM 3G10WVR2 Hub.

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Cell Phone WI-FI Connections to Rocket Hub Server

@moe975:

could you provide some additional information on your Rogers Netcomm RocketHub network?

1. What kind of "issues" are you having when you attempt to connect to the Netcomm WiFi?

2. Can you connect to the Netcomm RocketHub using either WiFi or ethernet cable using a PC or MAC and get reliable and reasonable performance?

3. Can you connect to WiFi networks in other locations such as at work or a WiFi hotspot with minimum problems and satisfactory speeds?

Resolving your problems is mainly a process of elimination, and many factors could be affecting your performance including faulty equipment, radio frequency interference and poor Rogers cellular network performance in your home area.

Please let us know, and we may be able to suggest how to resolve your problems.

skinorth

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Our phones have no issues connecting to other networks only ours now that we have chosen Rogers internet.  Connectivity is horribly slow, it takes several time to get our phones on the network and when we do browsing is very slow. 

The network for our PC's are not too bad however my PC does get bumped of the network at least once a day.  Not too big of a deal i just continiously reconnect to the network. 

Not yet convinced if I need an outdoor antenna for my HUB.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@moe975:

as I mentioned earlier, finding the problem, and perhaps solving it, requires a process of elimination.

If your phones work fine on other WiFi networks, I think we have eliminated possible problems in the phones.

However, you say your PC's get "bumped" at least once a day.  Not too big of a deal?  It depends on what is causing that, and what your priorities are.

First to eliminate possible problems with WiFi, can you connect your PC's to the RocketHub by ethernet cable for several days or a week to determine if that resolved the "bumped off the network" problems?

Second, what is your cellular signal strength on the RocketHub at your location?  You mention that you are considering an outdoor antenna for your HUB.  It may or may not help.  If cellular signal strength is fairly strong and consistent, you should not need it.

Quite a few of our Forum participants have commented on how Rogers cell network will drop data connections when the cell network gets congested.  If you are located in a cell that gets busy at various times of the day, you may well see connection drops due to an overloaded cell.  Nothing you can do about that except complain to Rogers.  And even then, you don't often notice any improvement in the short term.

skinorth

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks again, all great info.

The one PC that has been bumped off the network, is the PC that is not connected to the Hub through an ethernet cable.  As for cell network getting congested well that may be true however, Rogers is not too popular here so I assume it should not have many customers.  Once again only an assumption. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry I forgot, our phones are with Rogers and with our previous internet provider (Cable Modem and Wireless router) our phones connected fine.  With the Rogers Hub network our phones struggle still to get connected and as I mentioned earlier, when thet dor finally connect, browsing is slow, especially the I Phone, where the Galaxy S i896 not too bad.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@moe975:

would it be possible to connect both PC's by ethernet cable?  I suggest this because the other ethernet cable-connected PC is working fine.

If that solves the problem with the WiFi-connected PC, the corollary then would be that you are having a problem with the WiFi on your Netcomm.  The problem could be hardware-related, and require replacement of the Netcomm.  Or it could be a problem of interference with your WiFi signals.  In that case you could possibly play around with the WiFi channels being used on the Netcomm.

As for Rogers not being popular in your area, well, Rogers knows that too, even better than we do.  They would track actual cell phone usage on that cell, and will have sized the equipment to suit.  And when the capacity of the cell's equipment is exceeded that's when Internet connections get dropped.  And because cell usage tends to peak at certain times of the day, the capacity of the cell's equipment can still be exceeded and cause problems.

skinorth

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Had similar problem between the Rocket Hub and Wi-Fi connection.

Try to change channel in the rocket Hub (mine is a 3W25 model).

Type 192.168.1.1 in a web browser. Then type admin for password and login.

Go to Advanced Setup

Click Wireless LAN

Go to WLAN channel and select 11. (this is the one I use).

Save. (You may have to reboot).

Hope this work for you.

Let me know. Do you know how to verify your signal strength? If you don't I will tell you how.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

your cell phones will cause interference with your rocket hub as it too is a cell phone., another issue is that the rocket hub is setup by default to "roam" and will switch between 3g and edge services causing a noticible speed decrease.  you can set this up in your router to be be 3g Only, and will let the knowledgible and paid rogers reps here show you how!.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Cell Phone WI-FI Connections

ok rogers explain this.

I have eastlink internet as I live in Nova scotia ( truro to be exact ) My internet is working perfectly. I have 2 desktops

and about 5 laptops and I do warranty work for retail stores. ( computer repairs for a couple of retail chains. )

so at any given time I can have 8 to 12 laptops on my network being repaired.

also various types of phones and such which ALL WORK FINE and at good speeds. EXCEPT my Rogers phones.

I have 3 phones on a family plan and for some reason they connect to Wifi no problem show full activity, I check my router and yip they are connected with strong signal, but for some unknown reason ( have my suspicions) the wifi is so incredibly slow I am forced to turn it off and use 4g.

Please, do not give me the diagnostic run around as for 22 years I have been solving these types of issues.

And, this is not the only place i am seeking answers, as I suspect some type of throttling is in play.

Soon I will find out but I am wondering what Rogers exscuse or ... .answer is to this type of performance.

because if its on  purpose to make me use the data plan lol.....

and do not give me a faulty device on my end, it is not. if need be I will post an entire video log of my connection and diagnostic notes.

So for the love of all that is holy, give a Smart answer as to WHY DOES THE WIFI WORK LIKE  POOP.