CarrierIQ Software Question

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clarkco
I've Been Here Awhile

CarrierIQ Software Question

Does anyone know if Rogers includes any CarrierIQ or related software on their smartphones?

Here is a Link related to what I am referring to. If so does anyone what phones include/dont include the software? (Specifically Xperia Play)

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions

All Replies
adien01
I've Been Around

Re: CarrierIQ Software Question

I would like to know this too. I'd prefer to not have to root my phone, void my warranty, and make myself ineligible for software updates from sony ericsson just so I can find this out.

Clarkco
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the help

mchammer
I'm Here A Lot

Actually I read about this, and I wanted to check my Galaxy S2 LTE, so I heard about this app:

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.simplecarrieriqdetector

That checks for any evidence of carrierIq on your phone.

Turns out, Rogers phones do have carrier IQ stuff installed, although it's not "active", whatever that means.

Just an FYI.

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

While I don't like the idea of "spyware", since I am neither a politician or a crook (WAIT a minute)....I am not that worried.
mbazdell

It has been confirmed on an LG atleast that Carrier IQ is on a Rogers phone, and active. However on the SGS2 LTE, I can confirm, as can many on XDA, that it is not present at all. So it seems to be hit and miss with Rogers phones.

Rej
I've Been Around

Turns out it's installed & "active" on my Infuse 4G 😕 /sigh -- called Rogers about it... the tech will do research & come back to me later on on how to uninstall this
shaggyskunk

Mbazdell, I have checked my phone with vodoo carrier iq and lookout carrier iq. Vodoo said it was present, but did not appear to be active & lookout said it was not there . Rogers has confirmed it was present, but not active?? So I dunno.??
Sean03
I'm Here A Lot

Recently, a application developer leaked some information regarding "Carrier IQ" on smartphone devices via youtube, the video footage is a bit chilling. If you go on youtube and search "Carrier IQ" posted by Trevor Eckhart, 1.9 million views you can see it. I still don't understand who authorizes this program to be installed on our devices recently found out that smartphones may have this hidden application "Carrier IQ," a program that records all the buttons pressed on the smartphone devices, including text messages, emails, etc. It's a bit a of a grey area because it's kind of hard to figure out if a phone has it or not, in addition, I understand that consumers are not given the option to OPT OUT of the program. It is concerning. What I would like to know is if ROGERS phones have the program installed on the devices? Does Rogers strictly excluded this application on their devices from either Rogers end or from the phone company manufacturer, such as Samsung, HTC, Blackberry, iphone, or a third party? Good topic for discussion.