cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrier Settings Upgrade

poochgirl
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the iPhone 5s and after my last upgrade via Apple I received a message "Carrier Settings Upgrade" New settings are available.  Would you like to update them?

What is this all about?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Carrier Settings Upgrade

ky5
I've Been Around

As per Apple website describes "Carrier settings updates are small files that can include updates from Apple and your carrier to carrier-related settings, such as network, calling, cellular data, messaging, personal hotspot, and voicemail settings. You may receive notifications from time to time to install new carrier-settings updates." So it's safe to accept carrier updates on an iphone you if got the pop up. Smiley Happy

Resourse from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201270

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

PLEE555
I've Been Around

A message keep popping up when I turn on my iphone..."Carrier update". I don't know whether it was sent by Rogers or by Apple or it is a virus, please advise.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @poochgirl

It's to update the Rogers bloatware in the device. This is also a good update to fix any small issues with the Rogers network on the device it self.

I would highly recommend to do it.

gp-se
I'm an Advisor

it's an iPhone, so no Rogers bloatware, YAY!

It's always a good idea to update the carrier Settings, it's basically APN settings, and other settings related to the network. An example is WiFi caling, VoLTE, etc. are all controlled by carrier settings update. Also things like preferred bands are contained in the carrier settings. 

ky5
I've Been Around

As per Apple website describes "Carrier settings updates are small files that can include updates from Apple and your carrier to carrier-related settings, such as network, calling, cellular data, messaging, personal hotspot, and voicemail settings. You may receive notifications from time to time to install new carrier-settings updates." So it's safe to accept carrier updates on an iphone you if got the pop up. Smiley Happy

Resourse from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201270

nyk0n
I Plan to Stick Around

um guess you're not an iPhone user...Apple doesnt allow carrier bloatware on their phones. this is purely as mentioned below.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @nyk0n

Indeed I am a iPhone user. I just made a simple mistake just like every other human being :).

The update that Rogers pushes is indeed a Rogers small update to get the carrier settings to work and make sure the device works fine on their network.

djones1475
I've Been Here Awhile

I updated my carrier settings, coincidentally my iPhone 5 clock won't keep correct time.

is this an iPhone issue or Rogers issue?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @djones1475

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the device to see if that will fix the issue?.

Can0nfan
I Plan to Stick Around
Is your time set to auto or manual? Check your settings-privacy-location services-system services and make sure setting time zone is enabled

Carrier settings should not impact your time kept at all. The towers you are connected to should be broadcasting the time if set to auto. If it's manually set then your iPhone is keeping track

djones1475
I've Been Here Awhile

I was saving that as a last resort. 

Thanks

djones1475
I've Been Here Awhile

Settings are all correct. Bluetooth cuts out from time to time as well. 

Frustrated!!

thanks for your suggestions. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @djones1475

Might as well try it and see if that will fix it. Your other option is setting up a a appointment with Genuis at Apple and have them check it out for u.

Can0nfan
I Plan to Stick Around
@poochgirl

What Rogers Bloatware? This is iPhone not android. Only Android allows carrier to bake in Bloatware.

Can0nfan
I Plan to Stick Around
It's sent by Rogers to fix/update stuff your phone can do on their network

Always safe to do

2Marc
I've Been Here Awhile
I had an unlocked iPhone 4 and after accepting carrier updates, the phone would no longer accept a US sim card. I now have a 5S and an afraid that if I do the carrier update I it will again be locked to Rogers
Is this true or not

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @2Marc

Have you contracted Apple to see if its a factory unlocked model? No factory unlocked model should lock to a carrier.

nyk0n
I Plan to Stick Around
Meowmixx is right if it was unlocked by factory or by Rogers, carrier settings won't relive your phone. It sounds like it was unlocked by more nefarious methods

2Marc
I've Been Here Awhile
This was a couple of years ago, I took the phone to Apple in the US, they did a hard reset took it back to the original version of IOS then upgraded on their network. This fixed it

Long and short is there should be no issues if I accept the carrier updates.

Marc

MKnox
I've Been Around
I haven’t done the update yet and currently have cell service where I didn’t before. Like, around the corner from my house vs. 2Km down the road. I’m on a prepaid plan with my iPhone 5. We gerally don’t have as wide a sevice area as monthly payers. My husband has a Blckbrry the carrier alao being Rogers through his work and he has service at our house. I’m assuming the smaller service area is to get more people over to monthly plans. I’m afraid if I do update the settings I’ll go back to my even smaller service area. Any thoughts?

gp-se
I'm an Advisor

@MKnox wrote:
I haven’t done the update yet and currently have cell service where I didn’t before. Like, around the corner from my house vs. 2Km down the road. I’m on a prepaid plan with my iPhone 5. We gerally don’t have as wide a sevice area as monthly payers. My husband has a Blckbrry the carrier alao being Rogers through his work and he has service at our house. I’m assuming the smaller service area is to get more people over to monthly plans. I’m afraid if I do update the settings I’ll go back to my even smaller service area. Any thoughts?

There isn't any reason not to update the carrier settings. They are just the iOS equivalent of Androids APN settings.

I like to keep my devices on the latest firmware and carrier settings.

Topic Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 11 in conversation