Cannot connect to Ubisoft server, unable to open port 7917

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Cannot connect to Ubisoft server, unable to open port 7917

Hi, I'm really hoping to find other Rogers users with this problem, and of course to run it by Rogers support.

Relevant Ubisoft support thread here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5031067519/m/9691085619/p/1

Two weeks ago, I bought Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for PC. At the main menu, the "Multiplayer" option is greyed out, and when I select it the system hangs with a "Connecting to Ubisoft server, please wait..." message. Ubisoft support tells me the reason is that UDP port 7917 must be open on my IP to communicate with their server. So, I logged in to my router and forwarded port 7917, and I also tried a different method in Windows by selecting my router and selecting Advanced Settings. I have also updated my router's firmware, and I have tried turning off Windows Firewall. But no matter what I've tried, port-checker programs continue to show port 7917 as 'Closed'. The single player game works ok, and I often play similar online multiplayer games, such as Battlefield Bad Company 2, with no problems.

I do not have much experience configuring my router. I do not understand why this port would be closed when I did not specially configure my router to close it. Ubisoft suggested that my ISP might be blocking the port. Does Rogers block any ports?

Windows 7

D-Link DIR-625 Wireless N router

Scientific Atlanta cable modem

Microsoft Security Essentials Anti-Virus

Scarborough, Ontario

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Cannot connect to Ubisoft server, unable to open port 7917

Yes, Rogers does block ports (such as port 25) on Residential packages.  Some Rogers employees will tell you otherwise (that they can't block specific ports) but they are capable of it, and do do it.

Whether they're deliberately blocking this port, or its caught up in the current problems with other games, I dunno.

Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

This might sound redundant but have you tried to connect your Windows 7 machine directly to the Scientific Atlanta Cable modem to see if the same issue occurs?  Only real way to know if the router or the connection is the issue.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I unplugged the router and connected my modem, a Scientific Atlanta Model 2100 (revision 2.1) directly to my PC, and the result was that it makes no difference, the application hangs with the same message as before. As you say, this must mean that my connection is the issue, rather than my router configuration. What could be wrong with my connection, that it is unable to communicate with the Ubisoft server? Is Rogers somehow blocking it?

The modem is the one shown here: http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/modem_DPC2100.html

dfarrell

Chances are Rogers are blocking it then.  Cuz it should work perfectly without the router.

Not surprising.. Their DPI systems right now are horribly horribly screwed up, and have been since September.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I tested this myself on my own system.

I seem to be the resident that gets blocked on everything else (at least the loudest one) and I was able to forward this port fine and I am able to get confirmation from websites.

Success: I can see your service on XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX on port (7917)
Your ISP is not blocking port 7917

(IP address blocked for obvious reasons)

Give http://www.canyouseeme.org/ a try and tell us the error that you're getting.

I've Been Here Awhile

@KingNerd wrote:

Give http://www.canyouseeme.org/ a try and tell us the error that you're getting.

I really appreciate that you took the time to do this. I tried checking port 7917 five times on that site -- four times it told me "Connection timed out," and one time it said "Connection refused." I tried a bunch of other random 4-digit ports and got the same result every time. I didn't bother bypassing my router again but I did turn off Windows Firewall. Previous to this I had tried other port-checker sites and even downloaded a special application from portforward.com. This is pretty lame. I sure hope that this problem is somehow particular to me, and that every single Rogers customer isn't being blocked from playing this game that's sold millions of copies!

I've Been Here Awhile

Well, I finally decided on a solution -- return the game for a refund. The retailer has a no-return policy on open PC games, so after some wrangling I persuaded Ubisoft to send me an unopened copy of the game. It arrived yesterday by courier and I returned it to the retailer and received a full refund.

It really sucks you had to do that...

I don't see why Rogers can't fix their stuff..  Seriously..   This kind of thing has been reported by users for months & months on end, only for us to be ignored, or have our posts deleted.