Cancellation fee and moving out of a Rogers area

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Cancellation fee and moving out of a Rogers area

I'm moving to Yukon, which is not serviced by Rogers. I want to switch to Bell. I have 2 years left on my term, and I have a Blackberry. I spoke with a Rogers customer care person who said I have to pay for the rest of my hardware (about $300). There is no cancellation fee but an unlocking fee of $50.

Is this right? I hear different answers about cell phones, and I've had questionable service from Rogers before. Thanks

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cancellation fee and moving out of a Rogers area

If you bought the phone under the flex tab, and did not pay 500+ for the phone, then they gave you a hardware subsidy on the phone.
This is what you are repaying.

If you wish to unlock te phone, to use on another carrier, yes it is $50 for that.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you bought the phone under the flex tab, and did not pay 500+ for the phone, then they gave you a hardware subsidy on the phone.
This is what you are repaying.

If you wish to unlock te phone, to use on another carrier, yes it is $50 for that.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Got it. Ok, so my next steps are (bear with me):

1. Call Rogers, pay up and cancel my service (can those unlocking websites do the unlocking for less?)

2. Buy a new SIM card.

3. Call the new carrier and get them to activate service with previous phone number.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Mostly yes.

If you CANCEL, then that number is no longer yours, cant necessarily get it then.

Best would be to pay off the hardware credit.. but do not cancel your account yet.  Contact the other company to get service there, and to port the number over.  When they go to do this, it will auto put in the stuff to cancel  your current account.  You just need to pay the 30 days  last bill then (this is the same with all companies in canada at least).

When you set it up with the new guys, you will get the sim from them (just make sure its the RIGHT sim for the phone).

Yes, you can get unlocks from some 3rd party site.. just be careful how/what/where they are... some unlocks, are via jailbreaking/rooting the phone.. which will work, but potentialy open you up to security risks. (and are not going to get updates likely either)