Cancel Fee Vs. Early Upgrade Fee

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Cancel Fee Vs. Early Upgrade Fee

I gave Rogers a call today to ask about upgrading my phone. I had no complaints, my phone is only a few months old but wasn't sure why I had a flex tab fee and an early upgrade fee at the same time.

The answer was kind of confusing and I'm wondering if somebody from Rogers can confirm this...

I was told that to upgrade I need to pay off my tab fee and pay the early upgrade fee. This means $270 (tab) + $360 (early upgrade) + $150 (new phone purchase) which equals $780. The lady I spoke with was able to knock off $180, so it would have been $600 if I accepted.

I then asked what the cancellation fee is and was told I just have to pay off the tab balance. This means that if I were to port my number to Bell, the fees would be $270 (tab) + $150 (new phone purchase) equals $420.

So to stay with Rogers and get a new phone will cost me $600 while switching from Rogers to Bell would cost me $420 (and I'd port my number).

This can't be right, can it?

If this is the case, I'll spend the next three months paying off my phone tab so I owe $0 to cancel, and then just switch companies and save myself the $300+ early ugrade fee.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Cancel Fee Vs. Early Upgrade Fee

All sorted out, she was wrong. The price is paying off the flex tab and cost of new phone. If you go online you will see an early upgrade fee in your account and also the flex tab balance, early upgrade fee is usually more then flex tab, but you call and they will only charge you the flex tab balance.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello cheers1981

Which ever rep said that is WAY wrong. The flextab is if you want to pay off the device balance & leave Rogers. Also this can be used as a upgrade fee as well BUT if you contact Rogers to do a upgrade fee, they will see the " early upgrade fee" amount, not the flextab.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That's what I thought, I told her exactly what you said and she said that it wasn't true. I couldn't believe that I'd be charged an upgrade fee along with the tab balance since the only reason you have a tab is so you can pay off your phone and then upgrade. I'm on hold with Rogers right now trying to get somebody else on the phone.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello cheers1981

You can NOT pay for both. That is like them trying to get your money. The reps are misinformed as they have no clue what they are saying. Speak to a Manager & tell them what is going on.

You only have to pay 1 of them. Not both.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

All sorted out, she was wrong. The price is paying off the flex tab and cost of new phone. If you go online you will see an early upgrade fee in your account and also the flex tab balance, early upgrade fee is usually more then flex tab, but you call and they will only charge you the flex tab balance.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello cheers1981

That is correct!

Its good you got it all sorted out! 🙂