Cancel 3 year contract after 2 years?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Cancel 3 year contract after 2 years?

I am on a family plan and I thought my contract expired this year but apparently it's next year...  My Android phone is already dated and slow.  Plus I just never use all the data and 'benefits' of my plan.  I will never do another contract again /end rant.

I know the CRTC passed a bill like 4 months ago...?  You could cancel anytime after 2 years or something like that.

Am I able to cancel once I hit the 2 year mark which is in like 15 days?

I want to move over to a 7-11 plan.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Cancel 3 year contract after 2 years?

Hello KILL

You need to read it to understand it. This ONLY works after December. Not now. If you wish to cancel after 2 years in your 3 year term, u will need to pay the cancellation fee or flextab amount left

This CRTC rule will start in December, old contacts will not be included at all. So we are stuck either upgrading to the new 2 year lines or pay the cancellation fee. Why do u think the carriers now have 2 year contract instead of 3?.. s

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The crtc changes do not come into play until December, and only effects new terms (though Rogers has changed their new ones to that anyways)

To get out you will need to pay it out. Either the ecf, or the flextab amount (depends on when you started it what you fall under)

Your best bet if you want to Avoid contracts is to buy the phone outright. But be prepared to spend $400-700 depending on the phone.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello KILL

You need to read it to understand it. This ONLY works after December. Not now. If you wish to cancel after 2 years in your 3 year term, u will need to pay the cancellation fee or flextab amount left

This CRTC rule will start in December, old contacts will not be included at all. So we are stuck either upgrading to the new 2 year lines or pay the cancellation fee. Why do u think the carriers now have 2 year contract instead of 3?.. s

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Lame...  So I am grandfathered from these new rules.

My Android phone is over 2 years old.  Lol it was $500 new when it came out in 2011 and it wasn't even a top tier phone.  It goes for like $40-70 bucks on eBay now.

How much is the cancellation fee usually?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello KILL

That is something you best call Rogers and find out. They have access to your account and can tell you the price. We can't.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@KILL wrote:

How much is the cancellation fee usually?

Just to give you a heads up going forward:  After a quick search, Currently The ECF is the greater of (i) $100 or (ii) $20 per month remaining in the Rogers Service Agreement Term, to a maximum of $400 (plus applicable taxes), and applies to each line in the plan that is terminated.

For more info Google Search 'Rogers Early Cancellation Fee'

Hope this helps.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Hogwash

That is correct BUT depends on your contract. If you signed up with Rogers after January 2012, that cancellation fee does NOT apply. You would be subject to pay the Flextab amount to cancel.

If you still have a contract from before January 2012, then that cancellation fee applies.

Best thing would be for the user to contact Rogers and find out what the cancellation fee is from them.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Meowmix wrote:
Best thing would be for the user to contact Rogers and find out what the cancellation fee is from them.

Agreed 100%. According to the OP, it looks like he signed up Sept 2011. And we all know the ECF is not the only fee that comes into play. Any which way, I'll leave you guys to hash it out. Just passing the time of day......Smiley Happy

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Hogwash

That is correct. On top of the cancellation fee, you have to pay $12.50 disconnection fee + give a 30 day notice which you need to pay for the last months service. So the last & final bill will be a huge one if you think of it lol.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

By the way I could not benefit from the advertised 2 year contract because the local Rogers store said they had the right to make their own terms. That was in April 2012 I did pay at least half of the price up front. Can I cancel without penaly after 2 years? The data usage is beyond my comprehension (always over with no resonable explaination) another topic

On their website it says $50 or 10% of remaining withever is greater. What gives?