cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you connect 2 separate devices to a ACSMR in bridge mode?

jackthecompguy
I'm a Regular

Just as the title says; can I have 2 separate routers connected to a CGN3ACSMR that is in bridge mode, ie both devices get a separate IP from Rogers? Is this allowed or will I be charged extra if I choose to do this? Obviously I can turn the CGN3ACSMR into gateway mode and just connect both routers to that if need be, i'm just curious.

****Edit Labels****

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can you connect 2 separate devices to a ACSMR in bridge mode?

There are peole who have had the CGN3, who have said that they DID get a 2nd one on in bridged.
At least in the past, its possible it has changed now.

It has/did work..
But i dont think it has ever been 'supported'
So no garantee that it would work.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hey @jackthecompguy

@Datalink & @Gdkitty have the answer to this one.
As this was recently discussed.

I think it came down to being "possible"...
There isn't anything I have read up on that states you will be charged, but that's because most people don't require Dual IP addresses anymore.

(Hopefully Datalink and Gdkitty answer soon, while they do that - I'll look into policy for Multiple IP addresses and if there is or isn't a charge and if so how much.)

What's the reason for having two IP addresses?

Edit: (Added additional info.)

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Technically this appears to be possible.  I think the only thing to watch out for is router stability when two IP address are being supplied.  I haven't seen anything from any posts to date which indicate that there are additional charges that result from two IP addresses in use.

So far I found that with older packages (Express, Extreme etc) Multiple IP address was a feature for 9.95.
But that stopped as of Hybrid Fibre packages...
New packages are IGNITE but I can't find information for or against the cost of $9.95 for Multiple IP.

So still looking but wanted to give you an update that there may be a potential charge.
The Feature for 9.95 however provides you with "Up to 4 IP addresses." so you actually can get 4 IP addresses with 1 charge of 9.95.
However what I found was that it states you have to call in to add the feature.
So I am going to go and check and clarify if it gets automatically.

Because if it doesn't then that means, you attempt the network with two IP and it will fail and won't allow you.

xD This is confusing haha let me find out more - Hope the additional info I provided was helpful...

and thanks for responding @Datalink !

Thats very interesting.  Looking at Shaw's forum, users who are having difficulties with the Hitron NAT are advised to place the device in a pass-through mode and a second IP address is then assigned by the tech staff specifically to that device.  There is no indication of additional costs for the second IP address.  Personal opinion the ability to run the Rogers Hitron in Bridge mode is a far simpler solution for the end users.  If you can figure out the cost issue, if there is one, that would be great.  Either way, it should be added to the shopping page for internet services.

The information I found is for tech support services. - So probably why it's not known or considered as a "marketed feature" and hence why it is not on the website?
Only assuming here...

FYI: Still looking further to see how we can resolve this inquiry...

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

As far as I know, the option to buy additional IPs is still available from the Rogers Yahoo account management page, though I have not tested to see if it works. (Yes, this is on the Yahoo side, not the MyRogers portal)

While they say up to 4 IPs, I assume it's $9.95 per IP, so if you wanted 3 more, you'd be paying $30...

Yikes, That's pricey then.. but $9.95 per IP makes more sense.

However, I didn't see any details about Additional IP option for new Ignite Bundles nor 1 Generation older Hybrid Fibre packages...

So either they don't charge anymore or feature/option doesn't exist to even get a second IP.

I know business accounts can still request Static IP but that's different.

I got nothing else folks

@VivienM - I did see Rogers Yahoo account Managment through my research, but it was speaking of Express/Extreme/etc packages and stated does not work with Hybrid Fibre packages.

Heisenbug
I've Been Here Awhile

Your WAN IP is provisioned to your modem's MAC address, so it technically shouldn't be possible. If it does work, I would avoid it. Bridge mode is a pass-through. You'd probably sacrifice stability doing this. If you wanted to keep the CGN3 bridged, I'd recommend a switch. If you can config the routers as access points with the CGN3 acting as a gateway, that would work as well.

"Your WAN IP is provisioned to your modem's MAC address, so it technically shouldn't be possible. "  Ordinarily I might agree with you, but there are people using Rogers Hitron modems that do this without any problems.  And, Shaw uses a second IP address in a pass-through mode as they don't allow people to bridge the Hitron CGNM-2250 modem for certain data rates, so the modem must be operating in Gateway mode with one IP address and pass-through or DMZ mode with the second IP address at the same time, which is a little more than strange,but apparently it works.

Heisenbug
I've Been Here Awhile
If it does, it does. Mine doesn't, so it may be specific to what's pulling the second IP.

sbenninger
I Plan to Stick Around

In gateway mode you WAN IP is provisioned by your gateways MAC address.

In bridge mode your IP is provisioned by your 3rd party router's MAC address. Always has been this way even when rogers had modem only. The modem will however cache/clone that MAC address on the port you are plugged into.

Have you ever tried to change to a different router while in bridge mode? Unplug your old router from port one and plug in the new router...It will never get an IP until you reboot the modem. Then you will get a new IP.

kr6
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

All Rogers Internet services up to the Hybrid Fiber packages offered two IPs at no additional cost. I cannot speak for the Ignite packages because I don't currently subscribe to any of the Ignite service. I use this regularly to test multi-gateway setup or to VPN back into my home network for testing. This is also a very secure way to setup a guest network. Keep in mind that the second IP still shares your modem bandwidth (as in your connection speed) so the less important network should be throttled by your router to prevent it from gobbling up all your bandwidth.

kr6
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@Datalink wrote:

I think the only thing to watch out for is router stability when two IP address are being supplied.

Can you explain why additional IPs would cause stability issue?

*grabs popcorn*
This should be good. I want to hear what @Datalink has to say, as he has insightful information.

@kr6 Hi! - Does VPN set up require external services or can it be set up without a cost?

@ShakTiburon

No need for popcorn Smiley Happy. My question is to get all know issues with the ACSMR modem out onto the interweb so we can make better decisions as customers.

As for VPN, it depends. You can pay for VPN service from a providers (similarly to how you subscribe to internet). This usually comes with a monthly fee and is often used to add a layer of security to your online activities, or merely bypass geolocking allowing you to access data not available/permitted in your region.

You could also host your own VPN service on your home computer (this is what I do), which allows you to connect to your home network securely from the public interweb. Businesses also offers VPN service for their employees to securely connect to the office. With a private VPN service (also referred to as self hosted VPN), your remote device will appear as if it was still connected to your home network, allowing you to access all your local home devices as if you were still at home.

This is another very interesting network protocol to learn. It scares me that people readily connect to public WIFIs without VPN service.

Public Wifi = No No for me.
Until I get use to VPN. Which is why I asked.
I am trying to set up VPN for my home so I can access my desktop (also my media server) remotely...
No idea where to start.
BUT that's a different topic altogether... don't want to jack this topic.

Wow... Thanks for all the info guys! So reading through it seems it is possible up to Hybrid Fibre but we don't know about after it... I've had laptop connected to LAN2 on bridged ACSMR and router to LAN1 and have them both get IPs before, but i've unplugged laptop fairly quickly to avoid extra charges 😉 so maybe it is possible?

ShakTib - I use the Asus RT-AC87R and it has VPN built in. Easy to set up and I can do exactly as you said, VPN into the router and use my home internet from anywhere. I believe the less expensive Asus routers have this option as well. It works flawlessly

@jackthecompguy
*drool* VPN is something I want so badly, but I don't know enough about the networking side to understand how it is set up but I know what it does and what it can be used for. (Kind of silly to not know how it works really...)

I am thinking of getting my own router and it will be most likely an Asus AC model for sure.

I also remote access my PC/Media Server from my Android (Which my friend set up) but I want VPN so it's secure. (My friend set it up with a specific port using VNC but no encryption - so I want VPN as that is encrypted).

@ShakTiburon I dont' have any insights into the modem stability when you use two IP addresses.  @RogersMoin indicated one day, in a conversation very similar to this, that there were stability problems with the modems in that configuration.  However, I have yet to see any comment from anyone indicating that they had run into problems, and from reading through various Shaw forum posts, running two IP addresses with their Hitron CGNM-2250 (CGN3's close relative) appears to be a normal practice as they restrict their customers from using Bridge mode except for high data rates. 

Interesting. 😐
Why is networking so confusing? *Sigh*
Topic Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 9 in conversation