Can't watch anything else except what I am recording

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Can't watch anything else except what I am recording

Sometimes, when I am recording something with my PVR, all other channels are blacked out. They show nothing. This shouldn't happen.

I know that if I record two shows at the same time, then I am forced to watch one of those shows, but that is not the situation I am in. I am only recording one program at a time.

This only started happening recently. Anyone know what is going on?

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Can't watch anything else except what I am recording

Which box is it?

Have you rebooted it? 

Sounds like the tuner may be on the fritz.. that its only allowing one of the tuners to tune in.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

I have rebooted and it works fine again, but this has happened before. I've had to reboot it everytime. Is this indicative of a dying tuner? What can I do to replace it besides buying a whole new box? (I own the PVR, not rent it.)

It's the Cisco Explorer 8642HD I believe.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If the HDD goes on a box.. thats about the only thing really user can really replace themselves easily.

Some 3rd party TV type repair places MIGHT do repairs on them..

But generally if a tuner is gone.. your usually replacing the box. 😞

If you have had this before.. i would THING it might be indicitive of a dying tuner... its generally not something you hear super common.. so not like a major software bug type of thing, that would effect more users.

At least if you did replace it.. the NB3 is a ton faster 😛

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Has all the bugs been ironed out from the NB3 yet though? I heard lots of negative comments about it when first released.

Is there any way of knowing for sure that the tuner is dying? Or, should I just continue to see if the problem persists? Also, if after resetting the PVR, the problem is fixed, then does that still indicate a tuner problem possibly?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I mean.. its possible its software or something.. but you dont really hear anyone with that issue.  If it was something more major, you would likely see MUCH more posts about it.. more globaly effecting people..

MORE likely something on your box triggering it..

I know quite a number with that box, who dont have that.. have had it on forever, never with that issue...

How often are you having to do reboot it to fix this?
Could be, something that over time, its overheating..etc... or some other buffer type issue (where an internal memory is not working right.. but a reboot flushes it, etc)

I have had the NB3 since about 1 week after its release.  I have had to reboot it 2x since then (I had to reboot my 8642 more often)
Generally, the box is GREAT.  its MUCH MUCH faster than the NB2/8642, like night and day.  Larger storage, and the 8 tuners have been nice durring the olympics 🙂
Bugs.. there are some.. but MAY or MAY NOT effect people.. all depends on your setup/what you use.
- HDMI-CEC.... its flakey.. and can screw up CEC through the TV/AVR, if you use it... no way of turning it off.  So you would need to have to have it turned on, or can cause conflicts, etc.
- Audio 5.1 drop.  Can be anywhere from less than a day to a few days.. but seems to drop from DD5.1 to PCM2.0.. and will often need to be rebooted to fix.  If you are running right into a TV.. likey wont notice (though some peoples TVs seem to do this as an aduio drop out)

- A few people have reported a crash with the PiP... if you use it.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Okay thanks. I've only had to reset it after this problem about three times so far in the past two months or so. But it is certainly concerning, but I won't do anything for now until something else happens. I've had the PVR for about 3.5 years and use it fairly regularly.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If it becomes more common, every few days.. Then yeah may want to look at your options.