Can't turn safesearch off in rogers yahoo or ca.yahoo.com

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Can't turn safesearch off in rogers yahoo or ca.yahoo.com

So for some reason the rogers yahoo page as well as the ca.yahoo.com have safesearch turned on and I can't figure out how to turn it off.

There is supposed to be a little gear icon that I can access preferences, but it is absent on the ca.yahoo.com search pages and similarly for anything that has rogers yahoo on it.  The yahoo.com webpages I can turn off the safesearch easily (the gear icon is present) but the settings don't carry over to the rogers yahoo or ca.yahoo.com pages.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix this?

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Can't turn safesearch off in rogers yahoo or ca.yahoo.com

Could you be talking about smartscreen filter? If you use IE11 and ca.yahoo as home page go in the menu bar under safety or tools click Smartscreen Filter and there is an option there to turn it off.
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

nope it's called safesearch,here is a copy/paste of the message...I put in stars for the search words

We did not find results for ***** because SafeSearch is active and your query contains some restricted word(s). Try the suggestions below or type a new query above. Or remove the restricted words and search for *****.
Highlighted

OK I see what your are talking about.  I followed the instructions here https://help.yahoo.com/kb/search/SLN2247.html?impressions=true and the gear icon  is present and under preferences there is the option to turn safesearch off. 

Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Highlighted

It's a browser Hijacker. Excellent removal guide here: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-safesearch-toolbar/

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted

@pmcsplaza wrote:

It's a browser Hijacker. Excellent removal guide here: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-safesearch-toolbar/

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

That is good info to have. Thanks.  However, that toolbar is not the same as the Yahoo Safesearch option.  You should be able to disable the Yahoo Safesearch using the Yahoo options.  Although I have been able to access the option  enable or disable the Yahoo safesearch, it seems the original poster has run into a glitch tring to access the options menu.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Doesnt help, that 'safesearch' is something uses by many companies..

Google has a safesearch option too... hard to find always exact instructions.. and assuming its the one effecting it and not the other.
(EG: safesearch on google, would likely effect a browser default search if thats set to google)

Highlighted

Yahoo's own help page doesn't help?  https://help.yahoo.com/kb/search/SLN2247.html?impressions=true

But note the piece at the bottom:

Are you are unable to turn off SafeSearch? There are two possibilities:

• You may be signed in to a Yahoo Account that's registered as an under-18 account.
  • You may need to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for further details.

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I believe Rogers updated or changed some of thier policies a few weeks back and, when they did, safesearch was defaulted to ON. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off. As long as you're signed in to Yahoo, and your account is tied to your Rogers service, it is ALWAYS ON. Site Preferences are not avialable, so there is no way to change the setting. Once you sign out and delete the cookie, preferences are available again. Sign back in though, and it's right back on again with no option to turn it off. Bottom line: This is something Rogers did, and it's something THEY need to fix. Unless it's thier intention to treat all of thier customers like children.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

I'm having this same problem, I clicked on one of the "trending" items on the rogers yahoo homepage and instead of it showing me the item they are pushing it gave me the message about safe search and like everyone else I can't turn it off. Sounds like the only way to fix it is to sign out of rogers and use a differnt email to bypass all the rogers crap.