Can't get my new smart tv to connect to my wifi network.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Can't get my new smart tv to connect to my wifi network.

Can you provide more info on the make and model of your smart tv?  Just guessing at the moment but you probably have to drill down into the network connections on the tv.  Was the employee commenting that you were wasting your money on the ruku box or something associated with your wifi equipment?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, we would need a little more information.

There are smart TVS.. most NEW ones have wifi.. but not all of them do, some have to be a wired connection.
There is usually a setup in the TV, where it will connect to your wireless, just like a laptop, etc would.

If it cant do it, you can get similar functionality, from a device like a Roku, etc.

soreloser3333
I've Been Around

I have this smart tv for awhile now and was connected before /all of sudden it wont connect now

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you connecting via ethernet or wifi?  If you use wifi, here is some food for thought. Load inSSIDer on your laptop, which is a wifi monitoring application. When loaded on a dual band laptop, inSSIDer will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that can be detected by your laptop. Have a look to see what you're competing with in both bands. In a suburban area, the 2.4 Ghz band is usually pretty crowded and tough to work in, so, I'm not surprised that you're having problems. Usually the 5 Ghz band is less crowded and easier to find a clear channel. After you have a look at the display, you might be able to determine if there is any 2.4 Ghz channel that is clear enough that it might work with the present modem. Never know unless you have a look, using something such as inSSIDer. The program link below is for the last freebie version. A new version is out now that will handle 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band, and which will work on a 802.11n laptop. The new version will read the broadcast management frames and display the 802.11ac networks that are running in the 5 Ghz band. Its worth the $20 U.S. to buy, so that you can see all of the networks that are nearby.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

What you want to see on the graphical display is that your network is the highest network shown, which indicates that it has the highest received power of all the received networks. Generally you want somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 dBmW separation between your network and any other network that is on the same or overlapping channel. So, while your network should be the tallest on the display, everthing else should be well below yours. When that power level separation decreases, you end up with interference and possibly with problems maintaining a wifi network. Your only option is to change to a channel with less overlap from the competition. By looking at that display you might conclude that the 2.4 Ghz band is hopeless and that its time to move up to the 5 Ghz band, if you can. If you have devices already running in the 5 Ghz band, look at channels 149 and higher. If you can switch to any of those channels, do so, as the output power for those channels is higher, resulting in better signal levels, signal to noise ratios and data rates.

So, with inSSIDer loaded on your laptop, take a walk around your home.  Take a look at the display close to the modem, and where your tv is located.  It takes about three to four minutes for the display to settle out when you move around and stop in a location somewhere.  You should see some differences in the received network power levels as you move around your home, both for your own network, and those of your neighbors.  Perhaps one of your neighbors has bought a new modem or router and is competing for the same channels that you are using.  If so, inSSIDer will show that. 

So, have a look, if this is a wifi connection issue and let us know what you determine.  If this is a wifi issue, you might have purchase a router which will give you much better wifi performance.  If that is the case, you should be looking for a router with gigabit WAN and LAN ports and external antenna.  

Tinus58
I've Been Here Awhile

I need help connecting smart TV smart hub.
Tinus58
I've Been Here Awhile

I am connected to internet, but I cannot get smart TV to work, keeps saying smart hub updating. I have a samsung h6203 55 inch. I tried connecting to modem but it will not let me in. I tried default user and password.
Tinus58
I've Been Here Awhile

No I have a Roku on my other tv. This is a Samsung 55 inch. H6203. I cannot get a Samsung account or load any app or even us Netflix it says it says hub is updating. I have fibre optics
MichaelJW1
I've Been Around

Re: Can't get my new smart TV to connect to my wifi network.

My smart TV recognizes several networks including Rogers Easy Connect which I wish to use.  However, even after entering my password the TV is unable to open the network.  I can see it trying but it keeps timing out and telling me to quit or try again.  Everything in the set up process went very smoothly so I do not understand what is happening.  I confess to not having a great deal of skill with computer technology......and being a little short of patience.  I have no other devices engaged.

borford
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@Tinus58 wrote:
I am connected to internet, but I cannot get smart TV to work, keeps saying smart hub updating. I have a samsung h6203 55 inch. I tried connecting to modem but it will not let me in. I tried default user and password.

I had problems updating the smart hub on my Samsung Blu-ray player over ethernet. Had to contact Samsung and they provided the link to download the update to my computer. Followed their instructions to put it on a USB stick and I was able to update it that way. May be worth a try.

deus
I Plan to Stick Around

I have an issue that appears related to the Hitron 4582U. I use HW 1A and SW 2.0.10.33T03.

I have a network composed of the wired PC and several WiFi items like the printer ( mostly off) , the occasional iPhone and a Samsung Smart TV.The TV is on the 5GHz band alone on CH 149.The problem is that the Samsung WiFi app designed to connect the PC and TV,  called Smart View (SV), which allows you to play movies etc., from the PC on the TV, will loose the ability to connect to the TV after several hours during which the app is closed. SV then requires a modem reboot to be able to reacquire the TV.

For example. I start the PC in the am, turn on the TV  and open SV which then reports NO TV available. I have to reboot the modem and once content is identified, SV will allow the content to be selected on the Smart Screen on the TV  and played. Once it is working, all is good.

But after several hours being closed, like over night, when I start the PC and run SV first thing in the am, the app is unable to find the TV. The solution is to reboot the modem. Presto, SV finds the TV and plays the content as selected.

This always happens. SV only works initially after the reboot. It may work, closed then opened all day, but overnight, or earlier sometimes, it fails to find the TV and requires a modem reboot. This appears to be a modem issue, since the streaming works fine on a rebooted modem. So would the latest SW code help ? A separate router ? I have considered outlet timers to reboot the modem overnight.

Is there a basis here to replace the modem ?