Can't get my new smart tv to connect to my wifi network.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogersTony

Re: Can't get my new smart tv to connect to my wifi network.

Hello @deus,

I use the Smart View feature pretty often to Mirrorcast my phone to my Smart TV so I totally understand your frustration with having to reboot your modem whenever you'd like to use this handy feature.

It sounds like there could be a Wi-Fi connectivity issue between the modem and the Smart TV. Do you find the Wi-Fi signal to the TV is weaker than other devices or is it generally strong and very rarely disconnects when in use? Is the TV still connected to the Wi-Fi when the Smart View attempt fails? 

The newest firmware may help with this matter but we'll need you to send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps to get you enrolled. You can read more about our Private Messaging system by clicking here.

RogersTony

deus
I Plan to Stick Around

localhostF8:3F:51:27:FA:FE1-72dBm351Mbps11AC_VHT80149

80MHz

Above shows the current status of the TV on the network. It's a typical reading and from time to time the data rate is up or down.  -72dBm seems average as well. An iPhone sometimes shares 149 but that does not seem to be a factor. There are beaucoup  wifi signals around here but no others on 149.When SV fails to detect the TV, the status does not change significantly i.e., the data rate and signal strength do not appear anomalous  and the TV remains connected at all times. So it is not a network connection issue. This conclusion cautions me to refrain from trying a separate router since the wifi connection to the TV per se seems sufficient.However  I am open to a different suggestion. Or perhaps the modem is deficient and should be replaced ? Rogers provided it a few months ago. Is the signal strength low ? Whether it is or not, the strength remains fairly constant between states of the PC-TV connection.

My questions are, what impediment within SV or the modem occasionally prevents SV from detecting the TV wifi signal  and what is it about a modem reboot that fixes it ? It is difficult to think that the reboot affects SV directly so, to quote Sherlock , when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth, the modem. Yet the TV remains fully connected so I can reach the internet through the smart hub as its called at all times.

Today SV picked up the TV when I logged on in the a.m. but after a few hours I had to reboot the modem. Since then it has worked perfectly , i.e. many times I closed the software for a while and reopened it and SV picked up the TV no problemo.

BTW the TV is from 2017, a UN49KU7000.

RogersMoin

Hello, @deus

Thank you for the additional details. I'm not sure if it would help, however, I suggest assigning static IPs to both the computer and TV on the modem.  This can be accomplished from the Basic/LAN Setup/LAN DHCP Status/DHCP Reservation menu. 

If you don't see any improvements, I recommend trying out the Samsung Community Forums. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin 

deus
I Plan to Stick Around

The IP is constant, generally .11. The PC is .10 and the phone comes on as .12. The point is that rebooting the modem fixes things (until the app no longer works and another reboot is required). Rebooting does not change the IP.It may refresh the network connections and that is an angle I am pursuing here.

I have called tech support at Samsung. The community has few complaints regarding PC connections and none with "NO TV Found".The tech support there is at the level of an off shore, third party effort.