Can't Game

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Can't Game

I used to be with Shaw because I live in the country in the middle of no-where so they were the only ISP I could get out here. My internet was bad enough with Ping: 25ms Down: 1.5Mb and Up: 0.25Mb. Ever since Rogers bought out Shaw in my area the Internet has been EXTREAMLY inconsistent. It is okay until I start to game. Once I turn on my Xbox One the ping increases to 6,845ms! The down drops to 0.4Mb and the up to 0.07Mb. This is not an issue with a setting in my Xbox One, as the tech-supporters have tried to tell me.I never had an issue with gaming before. I can't talk to my friends because there is a tremendous amount of delay, I can't play with my friends because it says I've lost connection to the server. This internet is garbage! Once Rogers started providing Internet to me it got even worse! With GTA V, CoD AW and AC Unity around the corner, I'm not looking forward to not being able to play with friends! Please help me! Fix your broken, garbage service!!!!

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Can't Game

This is a user to user form.. so no one here can fix it.

But some of us might be able to do some troubleshooting.

what service do you have? (speed, package, etc)

What modem do you have?

(are you able to post out what your signal levels are when you log into the modem?)

Outside of gaming.. what are your ping times like? What are your speed tests like?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am also concerened with the rogers network. I have called their tec service and been given the run around myself. What service package are you paying for?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Every users experience may varry from another.

Location (city to city).. can be up/down or having issues.

Even just one house to the next, with signal strengths, etc can vary things.

I am currently on 60/10, and speedtests show 85/10.5 (higher due to speedboost).. pings are about 12ms.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Is that with  the connection wired? Speed boost? Have 250/20 and only keeping it because of the 20 up and because 250 down can be stretched amongst multiple users.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/speedboostonsb

"SpeedBoost™ detects when there is available bandwidth on the network and automatically provides a temporary burst of speed between 10MB - 50MB (depending on your internet plan) of a download or stream - so content loads faster.1"

Pretty much, it gives a short little burst at the begining of downloads, etc.
But unfortunately, due to this, it plays with the speedests a bit.. sometimes showing them HIGHER than they actually are. (well, technically you ARE getting that higher speed, at that time, with the speed boost.. it wont just SUSTAIN that speed over the longer period)

That is on BOTH wired and Wireless.. i can pull that on a speed test (on an optimized speed test . i am north of toronto, and thats picking the best of the toronto servers... choosing somewhere else, yes the results may be slower.. but may be more hops, etc)
My unit is NOT in bridged mode, it is in its gateway mode.  But i am using a Asus RT-N66U higher end router as an access point for my wireless (likely why i am able to obtain the same speeds on wireless.   I was not able to, with my previous Linksys E2500.  Goes to show the difference a good quality wireless router makes)

I Plan to Stick Around

Sounds like you are maxing your upload which in turn is killing your speed on your entire connection. Did you have to change modem/gateways when Rogers took over? I am wondering if the shaw equipment had QOS/traffic shaping to limit your upload to less that the max upload to prevent it from affecting the entire connection.

Maxing your upload on any asymetrical(ie 5down/1up down is way faster than up) residential connection will raise your pings and severely impact performance. If you are on the 250down/20up plan and you max the 20up you will basically turn your connection into dialup or worse. QOS/Traffic shaping if configure correctly will prevent you from ever reaching your maximum. You will need a 3rd party router with those capabilities as the Rogers gateways do not have QOS/traffic shaping available.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don´t remember the source but I read somewhere that using QOS for gaming hurts your connection. However, you´re saying that targeting the speed, specifically the upload, to 18-19 for the upload would make the connection more stable? Also, with what GDkitty said, I am still wondering the impact of keeping the rogers modem in gateway and using a router (minus dhcp, firewall and wireless) but (as datalink posted in another forum) would give a better connection with the 250 package. He does not game but suggested it so he was´t sure about the result. any ideas about that?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

With QOS you can actually prioritize gaming traffic so it will get the most priorty over things like http and torrents.

I found the CGN3 terrible for gaming on my 250/20 plan. High pings just going through the device. 

Get a decent router like the Asus ac66 or ac68 or Netgear R7000 and bridge the rogers gateway into modem only mode. I believe those routers have QOS gaming modes already defined for you (I may be wrong as I do not own any of them).  Do NOT leave the rogers device in GW mode as you will still have the high latencies...possibly more due to doing a double NAT trhough 2 routers.

You should notice an immediate improvement over the rogers gateway.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are a couple of issues to QOS.  First is the priority that the router, or you, assigns to the various types of traffic, ie, web cruising, audio / video, gaming, etc.  The second is the processing that the QOS takes to determine that priority, which on its own can add to any delays.  Asus routers use Broadcom chipsets which have Cut Through Forwarding and in the case of recent routers, Flow Acceleration.  This is data forwarding at the chip level, data in, data out, no processing involved.  Using these prevents use of features such as QOS and others, which is done by the router processor which requires routing the data through the processor and away from the shortcut through the responsible chips.  So then the question becomes "which is faster?".  Simply letting all data run as fast as possible, or processing it in order to prioritize certain types of traffic first?  Everything that I've seen far indicates that to run above 100 Mb/s, you need to use the capabilities of the chipset to move data as fast as possible.  So you then have a choice, speed, or features which reduce that speed.  If you need both, then a better choice might be a capable firewall to do any necessary processing and a good wifi router running as an access point just to get the data out to the peripheral devices as fast as possible. 

Whats the impact of using the CGN3 for example in Gateway or Router mode?  Good question.  Someone needs to test both configurations and ping the CGN3 in both modes and post both sets of numbers.  Only then will everyone see and know if there is less delay to and from the CGN3 in either configuration.  That test has to be done in isolation, using just the CGN3, gigabit port equiped router and a fast wired PC or gaming laptop and nothing else connected, wired or wireless.  Any volunteers?