Can my router cause my phone to drop wifi connection?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Can my router cause my phone to drop wifi connection?

I have the SMCD3GN. I have never noticed any major issues with it. I did go through a small period of time where it would reboot often but that's about it. I think I've only reboot it manually about 10 times or less over the last 3 yrs. 

Anyway, my issue is that my 1 month old phone (Nokia Lumia 1520) drops wifi connection constantly. When I'm at home I have it set up to automatically connect to wifi. I have an option turned on within the phone to stay connected to wifi after the screen times out. However, I recently hit my 6GB monthly data limit in less than 3 weeks which is something I've never done before. I was able to determine that though my phone shows as connected to wifi it infact is not. And I have to manually disconnect from wifi and then manually reconnect to wifi. If I stop surfing the net or stream media and ut my phone back to sleep my phone will disconnect from wifi within 5 -10 min. If I go back to using it again after those 10 min it will show the wifi on the status bar as active but it will use data until I disconnect and reconnect my data. 

I've tried playing with any and every option on my phone possible and have done everything except perfrom and factory reset of the device. I have tried adjusting almost every wireless setting on the router I can. I switched channels, changed the encryption options and rebooted the router. Nothing seems to work. I have found that in the last week my phone did stay connected to wifi on 3 random occassions. I can't point out any reason why those times it worked. I do know that I had to disconnect and reconnect several times before it decided to stick.

Could this issue be with my router? I'm contemplating picking up a $100+ aftermarket router and bridging the two together to see if this fixes my issue. But I'm not confident that this expensive solution is the key to my issue. 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Can my router cause my phone to drop wifi connection?

i would try changing the channel on your wifi router - maybe another signal from your neighbours overlaps and forces your phone to drop connection
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its possible its from the wireless end..  that a router change could do it.. but its possibly not as well..

other interfearance could cause it..

I would download inSSIDer on a laptop, or also available on android.  It will scan for all wireless networks in range and find the channel ID's.  Make sure your on an ID that is not what is used nearby.. as far away as possible.

Is there any cordless home phone base, near where the wifi router, or where your phone is?  These can cause major interfearance too as they often work on the same freqencies.

Last option would be to try another router.  If range, etc isnt a big issue, doent have to be a super expensive one.
Make sure to buy from a place like bestbuy or futureshop, where you can return it, if it doesnt fix the sisue.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Its possible its from the wireless end..  that a router change could do it.. but its possibly not as well..

other interfearance could cause it..

I would download inSSIDer on a laptop, or also available on android.  It will scan for all wireless networks in range and find the channel ID's.  Make sure your on an ID that is not what is used nearby.. as far away as possible.

Is there any cordless home phone base, near where the wifi router, or where your phone is?  These can cause major interfearance too as they often work on the same freqencies.

Last option would be to try another router.  If range, etc isnt a big issue, doent have to be a super expensive one.
Make sure to buy from a place like bestbuy or futureshop, where you can return it, if it doesnt fix the sisue.

I did try changing channels as well. I couldnt find the software you mentioned originally online so I juct kept changing the channel to something else each day to see if it made a difference. I did notice I got a bump in wireless speed but that's about it. I can try to download inSSIDer later though.

I don't have a home phone in my unit. The router though is placed in my entertainment unit and feeds ethernet cables into my smart tv (which is beside it), my PC and my Xbox ONE (which are also within very close range).

And yes I figured that would be my last resort. I planned to grab one from Futureshop this week. I was looking at an ASUS one somewhere in the $100-120 range. Hopefully that solves my issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

http://download.cnet.com/inSSIDer/3000-18508_4-10848357.html

WHen you say unit... your in an apartment or townhouse?
Then there quite likely is alot of interfearance.
This might be a good idea to do anyways.. at min to increase speed, etc performance.

Its not to rule out.. it could be a PHONE issue still... only surefire way for that, is to do a factory reset on it.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

http://download.cnet.com/inSSIDer/3000-18508_4-10848357.html

WHen you say unit... your in an apartment or townhouse?
Then there quite likely is alot of interfearance.
This might be a good idea to do anyways.. at min to increase speed, etc performance.

Its not to rule out.. it could be a PHONE issue still... only surefire way for that, is to do a factory reset on it.

I'm on the top floor of a 34 floor condo. So yes I do see tons of wifi connections around me. But this was part of the reason why I changed the channel on the router a few times incase interference was the problem.

I'd really hate to do a hard reset mostly because the time it takes me to set it up again and re-download my apps is a solid half day for sure.. Plus I lose my saved game data on the games I spent some good time on.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just thought I'd mention..

Last night I grabbed a new router, a D-Link Wi-Fi AC1000 router (DIR-820L). It was $70 (reg. price $119) so I figured it was a good buy. After some fiddling I configured it and got it set up. I set up wifi and connected my phone to the 5ghz wifi connection instead of the 2.4ghz connection. I also added my phone to my router's "reservation list". Based on my new setup so far, my connection of wifi on my 1520 has stuck. Obviously I'll have more testing this weekend since I spend 95% on wifi over weekends at home.

But so far so good and of course with an aftermaket router I'm seeing more than 2x faster download speeds at home with extended ranges.