Can Rogers force me to get a digital box?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Can Rogers force me to get a digital box?

All I want is an adaptor, for one of my three tvs that is analog.  Rogers help is telling me that, because I had a digital box on that tv at one time, I can only get another digital box, or pay for another outlet.  I can't NOT have a digital box once I've had one.  Here's some of my chat: 

Me:
I'd like to order a free digital adaptor for my one analog TV. I'm having problems doing it online, because my account number isn't being accepted as a valid one.

Rogers Rep:
I am sorry about that in order to get a new box you need to go in store

Me:
Why?

Rogers Rep:
in order to have a new digital box

Me:
Not a new digital box, the free digital adaptor for analog tvs. You can do it online, but it won't accept my account number.

Rogers Rep:
 I am sorry I see that you currently have digital terminal on each

Me:
I have three tvs. Two with digital terminals, one analog

Rogers Rep:
all 3 are digital

Me:
No, they aren't. If it's listed as such, it's a mistake. I only have two boxes. I used to have a third, a long time ago, but haven't had that one for literally years.

Rogers Rep:
that is not what I have on the account

Me:
So what do I do now?

Rogers Rep:
if you have any issue with the current box you have to go in store and change it

Me:
I don't have the box.
I don't want a box for that TV, just the adaptor.

Rogers Rep:
I will need to add an outlet to the account
you will have 4 outlets on the account

Me:
That makes no sense.

Rogers Rep:
I am sorry you think that way

ME:
Is Rogers saying that, once you've had a digital terminal, you're not allowed to NOT have a digital terminal?

Rogers Rep:
you already have 2 digital terminal and one HDPVR

Me:
No, I don't. I have one digital terminal that I purchased. I have one digital terminal that I rent. I used to have a third digital terminal that my friend who moved to Australia gave me, but it didn't work very well, and we discarded it. That was years ago.

Rogers Rep:
it is listed on the accout as active

Me:
So how do I inform Rogers that I no longer have a third terminal? Can I not do that here?
I have the third TV that the terminal was attached to, but it's now analog - just the cable plugged into the tv

Rogers Rep:
I am sorry you need to get a digital box

Me:
I didn't know this was going to be such a hassel. I have to take my son to school now. I'll pursue this matter later. Rogers shouldn't be able to force me to have a digital terminal if I don't want one. That can't be right. Thanks for your help.

Rogers Rep:
you're welcome

***Edited labels***
Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Can Rogers force me to get a digital box?

Actually, there ARE options... this is more likely a FAILURE on the reps part.

For the digital box that you no longer have.. as long as it is not the RENTAL one.. they SHOULD be able to remove from the account.. dis-associate it fromt he account.
People do this ALL the time when they sell older boxes as they get a new one, etc that they have owned.

This should free up the outlet.

Which then you can get the DTA (digital adapter) for.

I am guessing you did this via the live chat?  I have had next to no luck with the people on there..
Try over the phone, if you havent yet.. at least a little easier possibly to explain things, what you want done, etc.

I'm a Senior Advisor

GDkitty is correct. An outlet is an outlet, whether there is a PVR, STB, DTA or just an analog TV attached directly via co-ax. If the OP removed the third terminal because it malfunctioned, the outlet is still there. So why can't Rogers supply a free DTA for that outlet?

It almost seems like the Rogers rep thinks the third terminal, that was given to the OP by a friend, was a Rogers rental unit. Or maybe it wasn't legally transferred from the previous owner. Certinly another conversation with Rogers is in order.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

Ah, maybe she thought it wasn't transfered, but it actually was.  Good point.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It sounds like the rep saw the 3 on there..

But didnt understand, that they no longer have the one.. and to REMOVE it to make an outlet free.

When you add one, its registered, and tied to a digital outlet.

Even if you only pluged it in once, and never used since.. its still tied on the outlet, till you tell them to remove it.

I think thats what the rep didnt understand to do.
Which SHOULD be easily recified by calling back in.

DOuble check what all is listed on the account.. verify S/N if they have that avail, etc.  And then find the one thats not there.. and have it removed.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks I will try over the phone.  It is not the rental one, so hopefully they can remove it as you say.  I hope they don't need a serial number - I don't have the unit anymore.  This must happen with theft/fire whatever too though; they must have steps that can be taken.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With a theft/fire.. on a rental, you are still technicaly liable.. but your insurance, etc should then cover to rogers what ever needs to be done.

I was just mentioning the S/N stuff.. just so if they can LIST the serial numbers on their end, you can compare to what you have.  The one number that doesnt match.. should be the one that they need to remove.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

just escalate the issue, they have to fix the account. you can go to a roger store and they may fix it too