Can I connect my Hitron CGN3 to a Wireless Access Point?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Can I connect my Hitron CGN3 to a Wireless Access Point?

Hi there,

I'm frustrated.  (Nice to meet you, Frustrated!) I recently upgraded to the CGN3 and I cannot figure out how to connect my TP-Link TL-WA901ND to it.

On my old Cisco modem, I was able to use the TP-Link as an Access Point, so I could get wireless all over my home.  But I'm stumped on this. The settings on the TP-Link are the same as they were when it was connected to the old Cisco modem.

I've logged into the CGN3 and TL-WA901, I've tried pressing the QSS on the TP-Link and the PBC fast connect button on the CGN3.  I've tried the PIN option to make them recognize each other, but no success.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Andrew

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Can I connect my Hitron CGN3 to a Wireless Access Point?

@Runbags wrote:

Thanks for the advice, Vivien.  🙂  I've been able to use my computer to log into the the TP-Link AP and the CGN3 to play with their settings.  I think that's what you mean when you speak of 'old fashioned way.'  Am I correct?

I'm stuck on getting the two machines to see each other and work together.  😞

They don't need to see each other or work together, though. As outlined in my other post of about 30 seconds ago... you need to focus on two things:

1) Getting the access point working as an access point, i.e. serving up the desired SSID with the right security settings

2) Connecting the access point to your network. Try it first by plugging a cable between the CGN3 and the access point; then you can try adding the powerline backhaul...

Access points are layer 2 devices; the only reason you care about layer 3 stuff (e.g. the access point's IP) is to access its configuration interface. A properly configured access point will just take the Ethernet frames coming from its wireless side and bridge them all out the other interface (whether it's wired Ethernet, powerline, or, in the case of repeaters, another wireless interface...

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How exactly are you using this access point?
(as it has many modes)

Just as a wireless repeater?

Or is there a network ethernet wire to it, and it set up in access point mode?

Makes a difference in how its set up..
All in all, best to do a factory reset on it, and start its setup from scratch..
Since it may be retaining settings from the previous setup.. even something as simple as its IP is set to a 192.168.1.1 and your new may be 192.168.0.1

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Gdkitty,

Oooh, good point about reset to clear little settings.

I used/am planning to use it as an access point.  I've got an ethernet-over-powerlines set-up to which the TP-Link was/will be connected.  It's not ideal, but my wife doesn't want me drilling and running cable through the place.

Using it as an access point was the only way I got it to work with the old modem.  Is there a better mode to use it in?

Thanks for your reply.  I'll let you know if the factory reset gets it working.

Andrew

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Gdkitty,

No luck at all.  I keep trying to get the modem and the AP to recognize each other, but neither the quick connect buttons nor the PIN entering work.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just so that I understand what you are trying to do, you want the TP-Link router used as an access point.  That to me means that the modem is running in Gateway mode with the TP-Link router either set to access mode, if it has that mode selection and connected to its WAN port, or manually set, with a non-conflicting IP address set in the router, the DHCP turned off and connected to a LAN port on the router instead of the WAN Port.  That gives you access to ports on the modem and the router and the modem assigns all of the IP addresses on the LAN. 

Alternatively, if you don't need the ports on the modem, you can set it to run in Bridge mode, and then set the TP-Link router to run in full router mode, connected to its WAN port.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From the sounds.. its more to get the wireless in an area which doesnt have it.

In which leaving the gateway in gateway mode and using just as an AP should be fine.

If you can, i would try pluging something like a laptop into the wired connection at the far end of the power line adapter.. JUST to make sure that you are getting a proper network connection to that point.

http://www.tp-link.com/resources/software/200912243240113.pdf

From there, you would want to follow the instructions for the AP.

(starts about page 16)

It looks like it defaults to 192.168.1.254
So you would need to plug a PC into the wired port on the AP. 
Since the AP doesnt have DHCP on it.. you would need to set your IP address on your device into the 192.168.1.x range.
From there, should be able to connect to it at .254 via the web interface.

Personally.. i dont know if it will work/set up with the QSS... i have never trusted any of the auto setup functions.

I would set it up MANUALLY to an ip within your CGN3 range.

If the CGN3 is 192.168.0.1, set it to .2 sort of thing.

It will likey restart.. you should be then able to connect it to the rest of the network.. and access it via that new IP from anything else on the network.

From there.. set up your wireless as you want.
(the whole SAME SSID vs different ones.. thats a completely different discussion).

But overall that should be it.

I have TWO routers in my house set up as AP's only, with the CGN3 in gatway only.. both perfectly fine.
My gateway is 192.168.0.1, .2 for the main AP, and .3 for one to handle the back yard.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Runbags wrote:

I used/am planning to use it as an access point.  I've got an ethernet-over-powerlines set-up to which the TP-Link was/will be connected.  It's not ideal, but my wife doesn't want me drilling and running cable through the place.

I don't know how big your house is, but you could look into getting a router with excellent radio performance (I like the Asus RT-AC68U), putting the CGN3 in bridge mode, and hoping that that router's signal strength is enough to reach all your devices...

(I've done the powerline + access point thing before for my parents... worked 'great' for about 6 months, then the hardware went wonky, it started giving 30+% packet loss, solution was an RT-AC68U and giving up on powerline)

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Runbags wrote:

Hi Gdkitty,

No luck at all.  I keep trying to get the modem and the AP to recognize each other, but neither the quick connect buttons nor the PIN entering work.

Can you set it up the 'old-fashioned way'? I don't know much about this device, so I'll give you two scenarios. In both cases, factory reset first:

1) If it's also capable of being a router, plug in a laptop into one of its wired network ports, go to http://192.168.0.1/ or http://192.168.1.1/ or whatever, and configure it from there

2) If it's a straight access point/bridge, plug its wired port into your wired network, go to the CGN3's admin page, find out what IP the CGN3's DHCP assigned, and enter that IP in a web browser. That should give you its admin interface; configure everything there manually...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your reply.

I currently have the AP hooked up to the computer directly via cable, so the power line adapter is not an issue, but thanks for looking for the simple things people overlook.  🙂

I was able to login to the AP (it was a chore the first time I did it a year ago, but it's easy for me now.)

The AP's signal is strong.  I can see it on my WiFi settings on my phone, for example.  When I try to connect to it, I can see from the AP's Status page that there are some data packages being sent and recieved while my phone tries to connect (but only at those moments I try to connect).  I just wanted to make sure my AP hadn't become a brick.

I would set it up MANUALLY to an ip within your CGN3 range.

If the CGN3 is 192.168.0.1, set it to .2 sort of thing.

It will likey restart.. you should be then able to connect it to the rest of the network.. and access it via that new IP from anything else on the network.

From there.. set up your wireless as you want.

I'm a little confused about this part.  I think what you're saying is that I should set the AP to an IP that my CGN3 can work with. 

Here's what I did, based on that: 

1. The CGN3 has a tab called LAN Setup on the Basic Settings page.  It says that the DHCP Start IP is 192.168.0.10 and DHCP End IP is 192.168.0.200.  I guessed that this is what you meant when you talked about the "CGN3 range." 

2. The AP Settings has a page called Network and in it, I can set the IP of the AP, so I changed it from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.1.100.  My thinking was that 192.168.1.254 is outside the DHCP range of the CGN3.  (I then rebooted the AP and logged on to 192.168.1.100, the its new IP.)

So far so good?  The AP didn't connect with the CGN3 automatically, so I went on to step 3 of my guessy process.

3.   I tried to connect them with PIN numbers and pressing the quick connect buttons, but to no avail.

I must be having a brain melt-down, because I'm unsure what to do next.

In which leaving the gateway in gateway mode and using just as an AP should be fine.  <--Does the first gateway mean the CGN3?  I checked the Gateway Function tab on the Basic Settings page of the CGN3, and it says it's enabled.  For what its worth, that tab also says the UPNP is enabled as well.

I have TWO routers in my house set up as AP's only, with the CGN3 in gatway only. <-- Does that mean you have turned off the WiFi capability of the CGN3 and are using it as a modem only?

I do appreciate all the help you've been giving me.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the advice, Vivien.  🙂  I've been able to use my computer to log into the the TP-Link AP and the CGN3 to play with their settings.  I think that's what you mean when you speak of 'old fashioned way.'  Am I correct?

I'm stuck on getting the two machines to see each other and work together.  😞