Can I connect an NVR with wireless cameras with Sierra 313U air card on a MoFi router?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Can I connect an NVR with wireless cameras with Sierra 313U air card on a MoFi router?

Hi!

I am currently using a rogers air card Sierra 313U connected to a MoFi router for my home network. I have 2 laptops, an iPad and an internet TV connected wireless to this setup. The air card is getting about 3 bars signal strenght and it works fine.

I live in a rural area and cannot get cable connection from either Bell or Rogers.

I am planning to install 8 wireless security cameras and an NVR.

Can I connect such a  system to the MoFi router which would be the gateway to the internet?  Some questions:

1. I would need to get a 'static' IP address (not just a public) from Rogers so I can access my home from remote laptop,

iPad,  etc.?

2. Can the MoFi router be set up for the static address?

3. Cost of data. Would data charges apply only when I would actively connect to my home network (Cameras and/or NVR) Any

idea what kind of data volume would run through for, say, 15 min. of looking at the NVR recordings? The NVR would be set

up to only record when alarm (movement) was triggered by a camera.

I posess basic 'user' skills only with this stuff. Any advise/recommendation on this project would be highly appreciated!!

Thank you

*** Edited Labels***

I'm an Advisor

Re: Can I connect an NVR with wireless cameras with Sierra 313U air card on a MoFi router?

@runcat:

the issue of using Rogers cell data services to access security cameras has been discussed a number of times in this Forum.  I have not done it, but I assume it could be done.

As a matter of fact, just today I happened across a web site that mentioned doing that, but using the Bell TurboHub, the competing service to Rogers.  This URL gives a detailed description of setting up public or static IP on a Bell Ericsson W35 TurboHub. This web site is apparently run by a company that does remote video monitoring.  Their comments may or may not apply to Rogers equipment, but were interesting to me nevertheless.

http://www.remontech.com/setting-up-bell-turbo-hub-with-dynamic-and-static-ip/

Rogers at one time also offered the W35 as a RocketHub, which in fact I use at home.

You ask quite a few questions, and it will be impossible to answer them all even in a few postings here.  But first you will need to determine what you need in terms of an IP address: public, or static.  They are different.  As I understand it, the former can change, but is accessible from the Internet.  The latter, is also accessible from the Internet, but does not change.  I can tell you from personal experience that the IP address standardly assigned by Rogers to cellular network data devices are neither public nor static.  Whatever you can get from Rogers, public or static, will cost you extra money.

I don't believe you need a static IP.  At this point I can't recall the details, but as I remember, it would be possible to do what you want with just a public IP address.

I would recommend that you segment your project into smaller sections and tackle them sequentially.  You need to sit down and plan out the project, and also allow for unforeseen issues to arise that might in fact prevent you from doing it at all in exactly the way you are now planning to do it.  In my opinion you would be wise to obtain some help with the technical issues, perhaps on a consulting/advisory basis.

Also, do some digging in past postings in this forum, and in other web-based information sources to help you get some idea of the techical issues you will need to address.  Others have tried to do this, I know.

Good Luck, and keep us posted.

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Can I connect an NVR with wireless cameras with Sierra 313U air card on a MoFi router?

Might I reply to one 'piece of the puzzle'... I have security cameras and a DVR that is connected to a Netcomm 3G25WR (along with a directional Yagi exterior antenna) that I access remotely. This set up requires a static IP address that I have the pleasure of paying Rogers an extra $12 per month, plus taxes.

I'm an Advisor

@Bert:

it is good to hear that you were successful in setting up your RocketHub and that you were able to hook up your security cameras and DVR to work with this combination.

Over the last year or so, a number of Forum contributors have asked questions about this sort of setup.  To the best of my knowledge you are the first one to mention that you were able to make such a setup work.

Would it be possible for you to describe your setup a little more completely so that others would benefit from your experience?

Personally, I do not have a requirement to do this, but it would seem there are others who would appreciate more information on how to implement such a setup.

Thanks again for your comments on this issue.

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

You do not require a Static IP but you will need a Public IP.  Free Online services such as dyndns will take care of your dynamic IP issue.  Public IP costs an extra $5 / mnth. 

I'm an Advisor

@rafk:

thanks for that clarification.  The difference between "static" and "public" is a confusing subject to most of us.  Having this clarified will help many.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank You All for the helpful info.

Re. 'public' vs. 'static' IP address, I am pretty sure I have this point clarified. 'Public' still changes sometimes hourly, sometimes once or twice/day. The 3rd party services assign a steady number to their client and keep track of these changes and 'relay' the client connection.  I might as well pay the $10.- for a static one.

As skinorth suggested, I will break the project down in segments. Next, I will check with the tech. support of the MoFi router, they were quite helpful in the past.

I Plan to Stick Around

In response to Skinorth’s request to describe my setup of security cameras and DVR that is connected to a Netcomm 3G25WR  router  that I use to remotely monitor our country house, I went through the following steps to get the remote monitoring to function. You will note that I’m using an older nine channel Everfocus EDVR that is not very ‘Internet friendly’ thus more contemporary units may require a completely different configuration…

1)      Obtained a static IP address from Rogers for which they charge an additional $12/ month ( Note: Subsequently fought with Rogers retention for a credit (and succeeded since I was a legacy customer) since my setup worked with WIMAX portable internet that cost $40/month that everyone knows was terminated in 2012.)

2)      Setup a DYNDNS account, specified a hostname and entered the static IP address that was provided by Rogers.

3)      On the Everfocus EDVR configuration menu, specified a fixed IP address, standard subnet and gateway, and assigned specific numbers to the HTTP port, Control port and Data port. In the DDNS server setup menu, specified the DDNS server as DYNDNS and entered my account name and password.

4)      On the Netcomm 3G25WR, set the default gateway to 192.168.0.1 to avoid conflict with other connected devices.  Set the router’s APN to ‘staticip.apn’ and entered the static IP address provided by Rogers. Turned off the wireless LAN, and enabled DHCP server. Under the heading ‘virtual server’ in the router’s configuration menu, enabled the service ports and entered the same assigned numbers for HTTP port, data port and control port that was assigned on  the EDVR and entered the EDVR’s static IP address under ‘server IP’.

5)      That’s about it for configuration. Other issues that affected  my remote monitoring were...

6)      Addressed the wireless LAN problems of the Netcomm 3G25WR by connecting a D-Link DIR655 router with an external three element antenna, part # ANT24-0230, and an outdoor high power Ubiquiti Picostation M2 access point.

7)      Addressed the voice quality/poor VOIP performance of the Netcomm 3G25WR by connecting a Cisco PAP2T ATA (analog telephone adapter). 

8)      Addressed to poor 3G reception and poor external antenna of the Netcomm 3G25WR by connecting a Wilson part # 304411 50 ohm dual/wide band directional Yagi antenna, along with a Wilson 811201 dual band signal amplifier connected via a good length of LMR400 coax cable and multiple connector/adapters.  If you use this set up, I would recommend a lightning arrestor since I’ve already cooked a signal amplifier as a result of a lightning discharge last summer.

9)      Addressed the repeated freezing of the Netcomm 3G25WR router and the lack of firmware upgrades by connecting a digital timer to power off and power on the router every day in order to do a ‘hard reset.’

10)   The issues that remain problematic that limit my remote monitoring are primarily on the Rogers side. These include limited cell towers in my region, hardware failures at the towers, high user traffic during special events since I am in a tourist area/ski resort where everyone carries a portable device that demands a high speed data connection. Level II and level III support technicians claim there are no service upgrades targeted for the region thus I always obtain an interaction ID # or ticket number that begins with ‘C’ for my file when data rates drop or die completely. With these reference numbers I contact consolidated billing or retention to haggle for discounts on my bill for non-provision of service. FYI…today negotiated a 50% discount for six months on my Rogers wireless internet account for the above reasons.

There you have it, multi-faceted fixes for multi-faceted problems. Rick Mercer appropriately spoofed the oligopoly problem in the "Bell-Rogers Anger Continuum" and other wireless carrier skits. Let us maintain our sense of humor while asking ourselves which carrier we love to hate most…

I'm an Advisor

@Bert:

thanks a bunch for your posting.  It sure illustrates what you need to go through to make a setup like yours work.  And keep it working.  And deal with Rogers to ensure that you are treated reasonably based on the contractual obligations owed to us by Rogers as a carrier.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

Bert,

Thanks very much for the detailed info. WOW....I have to re-think this project.  Didn't expect it to be that involved. A bit above my 'user' skills. Certainly not 'out- of- the- box'. Again, thank you all for your input!

runcat