cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Revert To Previous Software - 8642??

Joifrey
I Plan to Stick Around

I had my softare upgraded to the new vewsion this past week on my 8642 box and I am really not happy with it. Too many bugs and the box resets itself too often. 

Can I have the software reverted to the previous one? Is that possible?

Thanks,

J

***Edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can I Revert To Previous Software - 8642??

AccordXTC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Very easy to revert back to old guide, call customer service ask for old guide back, its then pushed back very quick. Thats it nothing special, funny I talked to two customer service reps that said a lot of people are reverting back. After having the new guide I was happy to go back to the old one.

To many issues with the new IPG, takes forever to start up, more key clicks to do stuff on the box, slow respsonce. Issues with the box retaining that I've selected strech the picture but once rebooted it loses that.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

odd.. i have had LESS problem with the box now since the update than before.

There is no way for US to revert it.  you would have to call support.. you might be able to take it in, and trade it in for one with the old update.. and have rogers set your account to NOT change over to it (you would not be able to do whole home pvr though).  Obviously doing so you would loose all your recordings.

Joifrey
I Plan to Stick Around

I really feel like I am having more problems than before. In the last week the box has reset itself at least 3 times while it was recording shows.

I am also not happy with the interface at all. Still can't get programming past 1 week?

I am a happy Rogers customer but this upgrade didn't do much for me. 

Thanks!

J

Wester
I've Been Around
I would also like to revert. The new playback controls don't allow slow mo anymore.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No one from here, even a rogers rep, would be able to do anything for you.

You would have to call into rogers, and see what the options are..

In the long run, they may not choose to support that previous version at all.. that the new one may be needed period to receive cable.

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor
I was talking to them this morning and apparently they realize there are some problems with the new firmware and are working on a revision. I haven't experiences any problems myself but was talking to them on another matter.
I would call in and open a ticket on it if I were you.
Peter
Toronto

Toff
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee
Did you call in to have it upgraded or did it do it automatically?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
You could call & get them to upgrade it auto but it will take some time for it to happen.

mfait

Yes you can.  we did.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You reverted?  How.. an explanation would be nice for the people here that wanted to know how 😛

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I contacted Rogers cable support & they told me that i need to call them tomorrow & they will be able to revert to the older update for me. They are able to but they choice not too because they do not feel like it / do not want to bother. Some reps do not know how to do this but some do.

Huh.. well at least i know now, that i can pass that onto others that my ask here.

Me.. i could never go back.

I dont use the TV in the basement much (mostly the xbox w/ the projector), but ocassionaly when the kid is down there with me, will put on cartoons for him while im doing something.
Its an 21" SD TV... with the SD rogers box with the old guide... YEY GODS i just about had a seisure when looking at the old guide, i couldnt do it.

I am a sys admin and worth with computer daily, and always have maxed resolutions, etc.. so small text doesnt bother me.. i prefer it over the eysore of the old one.. i can live with the few quirks.

AccordXTC

Very easy to revert back to old guide, call customer service ask for old guide back, its then pushed back very quick. Thats it nothing special, funny I talked to two customer service reps that said a lot of people are reverting back. After having the new guide I was happy to go back to the old one.

To many issues with the new IPG, takes forever to start up, more key clicks to do stuff on the box, slow respsonce. Issues with the box retaining that I've selected strech the picture but once rebooted it loses that.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I have called a few stores & they told me that many people are returning the " Nextbox" due to the new software it has & the other problems.

I talked to many tech support agents & they told me every day they get around 40 - 90 phone calls of people asking to revert to the old software. It seems Rogers sent out the update early & before anyone could have tested it. I rather see it being in Beta stage were people can test it out & look for bugs / problems & once those are fixed, that is when they can release it to the public.

Another reason why Rogers is late in the game & already ruined it self. I really doubt people are asking to renew or stay with Rogers after this.

I wouldnt say that its ALL people thinking its buggy, etc.

some of it.. is plain and simple.. CHANGE.

Many people are BASIC users.. they are not techies, etc.. they just want to watch their Survior on Wed night, etc 😛

For many of them.. like my mother.. she doesnt do well with technology changes.. and for her, to go to the new guide, while it can do most of exactly the same things.. its different.. its in a different spot, etc.. that they dont WANT to learn a new one.

---

I disagree with that you'll see everyone leaving.. but i guess it all depends on the person.

For me.. the tiny bugs (which all of them i dont have on mine, the lagyness, etc).. i can live with, the additions, to me override the other things.. and personaly myself like the newer IPG more.

And.. i would then have no TV.
For little things like this.. are LITTLE to me.. and not the dealbreaker.

With bell, i had nothing but issues with satalite.. more than 2 clouds in the sky, and would have signal issues, techs came out and said that was all that could be done (bout 10 of them).  had bell cell phones.. and they continualy picked up a tower that was roaming to my phones number, so HUGE bills.. they would fix every month.. AFTER i called..
Oh, and the bell store in the town.. was located in a bell dead zone.. they couldnt activate the phones properly half the time..

So to me.. Rogers has always been better

mfait

The only thing I found better with the new IPG was the search tool.

Here's what we didn't like abou the new IPG (in no particular order):

• Text font is too small.  Should have options for larger font.
  • Should have options of more color schemes.
  • The response to display a guide or recorded list is very slow compared to old IPG.
  • Recorder List is superimposed over the current show.  Prefer old method where current show is ¼ screen size in one quadrant of display.  It's really bad when the channel happens to be displaying text.
  • When trying to record too many shows the conflict resolution does not work
    • When a conflict occurs a message pops up and disappears.
    • Then another screen pops up with a choice of which show to remove from being recorded.  However, when trying to cursor to show you want to unselect, the cursor moves up and down in the guide behind the conflict resolution screen.
  • Every time you need to confirm a selection, after you click Yes to confirm, you get a pop-up that tells you that it’s completed the selection and you need to click on OK to get it to go away.  This extra pop-up is totally un-necessary.
  • The ½ play speed and frame by frame play has disappeared.  Bring these back, especially the ½ speed which is very useful to review action scenes in slow motion.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I am waiting for a phone call from Rogers tech support Manager so i can revert back to the old software.

If Mark ( the manager) does not call tonight i will just call & give the interaction number for the note saying i am able to revert back to the old one.

Rogers needs to start paying attention before the release something.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Lobby cam you will never get back, till your apt building upgrades to a digital signal 😞

stoneball
I Plan to Stick Around

dear god thank you . my pvr box crashed a few weeks ago and I got a new cisco 8642 and immediately started to get grief from my wife who hated/did not understand the new guide functions. she does not adapt to change well and I spent hours walking her through the new guide convinced that once learrned she would adapt. well she did and severeral weeks later we can get around the various functions but we both started to notice the lag, the problems recording series, the disappearing planned recordings, awkward multistep user inferfaces, etc etc.

anyway after researching this on the web and finding out i can revert to old faithful, i called tech support and asked to revert to the old guide and the lady said sure , it will take up to 24 hrs to revert, etc. 2 hours later my box started downloading, rebooting etc and i now have my old guide back.

my wifes a luddite and ive worked in high tech since 1982. she was able to spot a POS upgrade in an instant and it took me 4 weeks...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Many people revert and prefer the old. Most of the bugs don't bother me, I actualy prefer the new but I'm one of the few :p. I think a lot is the HD layout. The old one on my 50" makes my head hurt.

Just be aware, if any new features are announced for that model box as time goes on, they will be for the new guide.

IE they have finally released the caller Id for the new boxes, but only on the new guide, etc.
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 9 in conversation