Can Dlink DWA125 be used with CGN'3?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Can Dlink DWA125 be used with CGN'3?

I'm using the new CGN3 and am very pleased with it overall.   Works great wirelessly for my Win8 laptop, and all of our Blackberry tablets, as well as our Google Chromebook.

But I have one older desktop running Win7 Pro 64 bit, and would like it to be able to "see" our HP laserjet which is running wirelessly.   I have a couple of D-link DWA-125's which used to be setup to run with router DIR655.

Is there any way to bypass the router, and just use the DWA-125, plugged in to a USB port on the desktop, to allow communication with the printer?   The desktop is connected by wire to the Rogers modem at the present time, and I would prefer to keep it that way if possible. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Can Dlink DWA125 be used with CGN'3?

You shouldnt need a wireless card on your desktop.

When you have a wireless printer like that, you dont actually send directly to the printer.. you are sending wirelessly to your ROUTER, then back out from the router, to printer.

A wired printer will act just the same.. it will send its signal to the router.. then wirelessly out to the printer.

The PC sending the printing.. really just looks for the ADDRESS for the printer.. which doesnt change.. its the same regardless of wired/wireless.. it still communicates the same way.. from the pc printings side.. it cant see (nor does it care) if its wired or wireless.

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Can Dlink DWA125 be used with CGN'3?

Cat HappyWell, that was easier than I thought it would be.   Thanks very much; I'm up and running now!