Cable TV Grounding

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Cable TV Grounding

Who's responsible for grounding a TV cable line coming into the home?  I've worked for US cable companies and it was always the Providers responsibility to ensure proper grounding in the home.

I have a client who's lost his 65" Panasonic Plasma and PVR twice due to a surge - both times the surge came in over the cable line.  Luckily the TV was replaced under warranty.

I noticed that the cable line entering the home was not grounded and told my client to mention it to Rogers when they came to replace his PVR and Modem - the installer told him that while the cable was NOT grounded coming into the home, it was no longer Rogers' responsibility to do so.  Is this true?  If so, I find this terribly hard to believe and worrisome.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cable TV Grounding

Hmm. I am not sure.
I know normally when I have had techs come out and do stuff outside, they have always made sure the connector there is grounded to the electrical box ground.
Weither there HAVE to.... That is the question 😞
Could have just had a lazy tech. It's only an in line connector with a ground cable coming out of it which gets screwed in nearby.

Unfortunately, even WITH this in place, Rogers isn't liable for any damages 😞

This is a reason I put surge bars in place at my modems, tvs, etc which also have the cable pass through, just as that extra layer.

I Plan to Stick Around

It's bizarre to me.  I can't imagine that it is not their responsibility.  I understand they say they are not liable for surge damage, but they should definitely ground their service as it enters the home.  I will go after them legally the next time a tech bypasses my surge protector which they very often do.  I am a system integrator and install surge protection on all the equipment I install.  However, it becomes basically useless once a tech removes the coax connection from this device.  I understand Rogers doesn't want any devices connected in-line with their service, however, this TV has been repaired twice in the past 6 months as have the modem and PVR due to surge issues on their line.  It has been a great expense and hassle for the homeowner who has to pay me to come out and troubleshoot the issue, remove the TV from the wallmount so the Panasonic tech can repair the TV, then return to re-install the TV once everything is fixed.

I have grown so incredibly upset with the extremely shoddy work of the Rogers tech's.  I understand they are contractors, however they are representing Rogers and someone should be auditing their work.  Comcast does this all the time in the US and contractors are quickly fired for not following installation standards.  The techs are extremely lazy and I've often seen them leave jobs saying they can't complete the work because it's going to take them more than a half hour (and they seem to be paid piece work). 

***Edited for content***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not all tech are contract workers..some are, some work directly for rogers.

But i wont argue.. there are ALOT of bad/lazy techs out there.  LUCKILY, the main 2 that service my area i am in now, are relitively decent.  One guy i know takes the time, checks everything.  He has cought stuff that the other guys MISSED.. questioned why they did it that way, etc.

I can understand, in their troubleshooting, that yes, they can only guarantee the box will work, when it goes from the wall to the box directly (with nothing inbetween).. and durring a trouble shooting issue, maybe this should be done.
Guess its not their JOB to re attach it.  Up to the home owner 😞

I am not trying to defend them here 😞 please dont think that... its just that there is usualy soo much legal stuff already set up.. that really there is not much you can do often.  (this usualy goes for all carriers).  Did you know, that there is a thing in the ToS, that if you die due to say an accident with rogers equipement, they are not liable?

Unfortunately this seems the way with ALL big corps.. telecom and others.. just pass the buck/blame, and do the minimum possible.

Neibour moved in a week ago.. had bell come in an install a dish.  While i understand the cables are coverd, and connections are usualy right up at the end of the dish, etc... the guy installed it on the roof... RIGHT in the line of where one of the houses major downspouts from the upper roof pours over. 
While walking by, just casually mentioned it to the tech... he told me to F off 😛

As for the outside ground.. just took a look at mine.
Is the ground there at all, just not connected?  Mine just runs from the inside of the box, out of it, up the side to attach to the outside of the electrical box.

While i understand, its technicaly not your responisibility to do it, etc... just to help your client out so it doesnt happen again, if its there.

Could always try and get a DIFFERENT tech out and hope they will do it.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I had a lightning strike 10-15 years ago thaqt took out a TV, stereo equipment, phones and other stuff. My home insurance covered it and offered me a a whole house surge protector surge protector at cost, which I installed on my electrical panel. It has connectors for cable and phone, which I used.

When I got a PVR and digital, I had some signal strength issues at my TV at the other end of the house. The Rogers tech came in and put is a new length of cable and said I don't need to detour through the surge protector because their whole system is grounded and the surge protector may reduce signal or prevent 2-way communication. From what I can see, there no grounding anywhere except in the distribution box by the street. My cable goes underground from there around the garage and in through the brickwork at the back of the house. Searching the web, all I can find on CATV grounding is this:

"820.93(A) Entering Buildings. In installations where the coaxial cable enters the building, the outer conductive shield shall be grounded in accordance with 820.100. The grounding shall be as close as practicable to the point of entrance."

I don't think grounding at the distribution box near the street is "as close as practicable". Does enyone know if Rogers has a standard? To my way of thinking, there ought to be a grounding rod where the cable enters the house. However, when home insurance replaces damaged equipment, Rogers just needs to replace any fried cable, which is probably cheaper than proper grounding.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OLDYELLR

It just goes straight from the street, through the brickwork, into the house?

NORMALY, as i described above.. they will have a seperate little box... usualy like 3x4x2 inches in size.
The one from the street, goes to here normaly.  There is usualy a little in line connector here, which then is grounded to the hydro box (which is then grounded into the ground).

Sometimes a splitter is here, or not, then lines through the brick, into the house, then split again from there, etc.

I'm a Senior Advisor

There is a grey metal pillar on the lawn on the property line between my neighbour and me, just this side of the ditch (no sidewalks in my subdivision). I see another one across the street and there are others farther up the street. The front of it lifts off when you undo a couple of tamper-proof screws. Sometimes the cover has been left loose and I've seen inside and there are 4 cable connections, if I recall. That's where the cable is grounded, I presume. My cable is buried from there to the back of the house, where it comes up by the foundation, protected by a loose piece of 1/2" PVC pipe. Where the cable comes out of the pipe there is a loop and a weather-proof connector before it goes into the house through the mortar. So the only grouding would be at the pillar near the road.

Where the cable comes into the basement is not near the electrical panel, so no grounding there. When I had it routed through my whole house surge protector at the electrical panel it was grounded there, but the Rogers tech said that was not necessary or advisable, so I don't have that loop anymore.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Huh... that may be WHY.. that its because it doesnt come in where the elec pannel is.. that its not grounded there, as normal 😞

I would THINK it would be smart for them to ground them at the street box (what you describe is a fairly normal one), but i dont THINK they are 😞

I can understand where they are comming from.. ANY sort of device they have not really tested.. splitters, passthroughs, etc.. so something like the surge protector, COULD inhibit some forms of communication along the line...so i can understand them taking it out of the loop.

But to not really have any ground.. yeah probably isnt good 😞

Something like one of the following images, is what SHOULD be installed normaly on the outside point before it comes into the house. (usualy in a weather proof box outside)

http://www.newhamstore.com/images/uploads/f%20connector%20grounding%20block.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4880612999_bb340d5e43.jpg

Though i guess you COULD have a similar thing INSIDE which grounds somewhere in there.

I'm a Senior Advisor

My Hydro comes in on the side of the double garage and runs under the garage floor to the basement where the electrical panel is. Obviously, it would have been a lot of work for Rogers to bring in the cable that way, so they used a trencher to go around.

The house had a tower when I moved in, before there was cable out here. There was a grounding connector like the one in your first picture in the co-ax run in the basement ceiling, but Rogers never used anything like that. I guess I'll have to find out from a tech familiar with codes and standards. Ideally I would want a real ground rod where the cable comes in connected to one of those connectors.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers IS responsible.  Using a 14 guage (I believe its 14) which is typically what Rogers uses, the ground CANNOT be more than half of the drop.  If the ground is going to be more than x amount of feet, it has to be a bigger guage.

There are MANY components inside surge protectors that interfere with 2-way communications, and is NOT recommended nor necessary to have the coax pass through it.  As anyone with electrical knowledge knows, current takes the shortest path it can, and this means if the system is grounded outside from the main (grey weather proof) box via a ground block, grounded to your hydro meter, or cold water pipe, IF a surge were to come down the line, it would dissapate at this point before ever getting to your (inside) surge protector.

To the poster who said his 65" Panny died due to a surge (very sad....) but this is no more Rogers fault than it could be of Toronto Hydro.  There would be no way of saying the surge came through the cable line (unless it wasn't grounded - Rogers would still deny responsibility, but you would have a better case) than saying it came through the power lines.