CIsco DPC3825 Network Name and Pre-shared Key

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kathyt64
I Plan to Stick Around

CIsco DPC3825 Network Name and Pre-shared Key

The network name that came with my Rogers DPC3825 really is a nonsense name. Can I go into the setup screen of the router and change it to something that makes more sense to me? And can I change the pre-shared key to something that is easier to remember? Any time I have to connect a device to my wi-fi I have to look up the pre-shared key. I'd like it to be something that makes sense to me instead of some random combination of letters and numbers. Can I mess anything up by going into the router setup and changing both these things?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CIsco DPC3825 Network Name and Pre-shared Key

You can change both to what you would prefer to use.  That is the same with any router.  I would recommend using a network name that is not associated with your address or name, ie, make the name some anonymous name or string of characters.  The Pre-Shared key should also be a longer string of characters that cannot be easily guessed at.  Think of some phrase that makes sense to you in some fashion and use that.  Pad it with numbers or characters if you have to in order to lengthen it.  Just as a note, you should also set the security mode to WPA-2, and use AES for the encryption setting.  Once those are set, save the settings and reboot the DCP3825.  You will have to search for the new network name on all of your connected devices and reconnect them.

It looks like you might still be using the default name and key.  If so, also make sure that you change the login password for the 3825 itself.  The sooner that you make all the changes, the better.  That will prevent anyone nearby from using your monthly bandwidth allocation and running up your internet charges.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can change both to what you would prefer to use.  That is the same with any router.  I would recommend using a network name that is not associated with your address or name, ie, make the name some anonymous name or string of characters.  The Pre-Shared key should also be a longer string of characters that cannot be easily guessed at.  Think of some phrase that makes sense to you in some fashion and use that.  Pad it with numbers or characters if you have to in order to lengthen it.  Just as a note, you should also set the security mode to WPA-2, and use AES for the encryption setting.  Once those are set, save the settings and reboot the DCP3825.  You will have to search for the new network name on all of your connected devices and reconnect them.

It looks like you might still be using the default name and key.  If so, also make sure that you change the login password for the 3825 itself.  The sooner that you make all the changes, the better.  That will prevent anyone nearby from using your monthly bandwidth allocation and running up your internet charges.

View solution in original post

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Datalink is absolutely correct 🙂

If you look up the internal IP of one of your current devices, you want to look for its GATEWAY.
(you can do this from a command prompt, with IPCONFIG).

This gateway address is the address of your rogers router (likely 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)

In a web browser, you will want to put this address in the address bar.
This should take you to a login page.
the default login should be CUSADMIN and the default password is PASSWORD

Once inside, you can change the SSID name of the wireless network, as well as the password.
As datalink sugested, you would be best to change the password for the login from PASSWORD as well

kathyt64
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the replies. This confirms it for me. I just wanted to make I wouldn't screw anything up first.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If anything does go terribly wrong, and you can't get back into the router controls for example, you can press the pinhole reset switch at the back of the router and hold it down for more than 10 seconds.  This will cause a reset-to-factory default of all settings and will then reboot the router back to its normal gateway operating state.  At that point you can log back in using the "cusadmin" user id and "password" for password combination to change the settings once again.

Pressing that same button for 1-2 seconds will simply reboot the device.

kathyt64
I Plan to Stick Around

So last night I changed the router admin password from default, changed the network name and shared key. Re-connected all my wi-fi devices no problem. Thanks the help!

Jorg
I've Been Here Awhile

I want to change DPC3825 user and password with the usb setup key.

Will doing so cause me to lose files, bookmarks, pictures etc?