CISCO DTA 170HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

CISCO DTA 170HD

Would it be possible to hook up and activate a Cisco DTA 170HD on my account?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps8612/ps10771/7023333_a.pdf

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CISCO DTA 170HD

While generally i dont see why something like this WOULDNT work on the rogers network in general (would support the encryption type, etc that they use, etc)..

Problem is, the models/type have to be in the rogers system for them to be able to add it.  If its not in the system at all, they likely would not be able to add it in.

People have tried this, with 3rd party modems, etc, that rogers doesnt support.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

yeah what he said, it has to be carried by rogers first before it will work, and when rogers does carry it, you must buy their brand of it instead of the generic kajiji or ebay brand to be safe

I'm a Senior Advisor

From the Digital Home Forum FAQ.....make special note of point 6...

"When purchasing a used STB:

1. Call Rogers with the name of the seller and the STB number before purchase. This is to ensure that it's not a rental and is properly in Rogers system.

2. Ensure the seller deactivates the STB or tells Rogers they're selling it so that you can then activate it.

3. You must call Rogers when you get the STB home to authorize it.

4. You must have the cable properly connected and a good signal to the STB for it to function/boot.

5. Sometimes another call by the seller is required after the buyer has the STB in his possession and is trying to activate it (due to Rogers Computer issues)

6. You cannot purchase a STB that is not a Rogers Ontario STB."

I'm Here A Lot

Rogers is switching to digital, and analog channel are diappearing. To get the channels that have dissapeared we need digital adatapter that can unencrypt the channel.

There are two digital atapters that can be used for unencrypting.

DTA 50 output to TV - only coaxial cable (480i)

DTA 170 output to TV - coaxial cable (480i) or HDMI (1080i, 720p, 720i, 480p, 480i)

I have new HD flat screen televions so I would prefer to use the DTA 170,

I know Rogers currently offers DTA 50 digital adapter.

Does Rogers offer the DTA 170 atapter or are there plan to introduce it in the future?

Or will Rogers not offer the DTA 170 adataper? I am not intrested in the regular digital atapter.

ps. Time Warner Cable cable was using DTA 50 before but is now using and favors DTA 170.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Oligopoly849 wrote:

Rogers is switching to digital, and analog channel are diappearing. To get the channels that have dissapeared we need digital adatapter that can unencrypt the channel.

There are two digital atapters that can be used for unencrypting.

DTA 50 output to TV - only coaxial cable (480i)

DTA 170 output to TV - coaxial cable (480i) or HDMI (1080i, 720p, 720i, 480p, 480i)

I have new HD flat screen televions so I would prefer to use the DTA 170,

I know Rogers currently offers DTA 50 digital adapter.

Does Rogers offer the DTA 170 atapter or are there plan to introduce it in the future?

Or will Rogers not offer the DTA 170 adataper? I am not intrested in the regular digital atapter.

ps. Time Warner Cable cable was using DTA 50 before but is now using and favors DTA 170.

We're not Rogers employees, so we don't know anything about hardware plans or release schedules, BUT.....

its just my opinion that Rogers will never offer the DTA 170.  The DTA50's were just a stopgap to allow direct to tv analog customers to continue on that path. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think a big part of it, was/is $$

Rogers is currently offering the DTA's for FREE. 

If you leave, you have to give the DTA back, or you are charged $40.  From what i could look up before, $40 is well below the MSRP for these..

So likely, the $40 is closer to cost.

From what i was able to find.. the COST on the DTA170 is closer to that, of the SD box itself.

Really doesnt make much sense for them to carry the DTA170...

MOST people needing the DTA, have come from ANALOG, so are used to watching in SD.

The DTA50 provides an SD output... with the limited selection of channels.
if the user wants MORE channels, they can go up to the SD box.

the DTA170, while would allow for more HD channels displayed, would only be for the very basic set of channels. 
those basic channels, in general, are SD versions.
On the HD boxes.. those chanels AUTO SUB the HD version of the channel (in the 500s) down to it.
That the DTA170 doesnt have access to those upper channels.. it wouldnt be able to auto sub.. and you would have SD channels anyways.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Rogers is currently offering the DTA's for FREE. 

If you leave, you have to give the DTA back, or you are charged $40.  From what i could look up before, $40 is well below the MSRP for these..

So likely, the $40 is closer to cost.

When I asked for an extra DTA50, Rogers added and subtracted $50 from my bill.

As for Rogers demanding the return of the free adapters if you leave, that makes sense. Anybody know of a case where that has happened? I don't suppose anyone who has left Rogers would be on this forum.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

$40 was the original cost when it first came out.. might have changed?

Its one of those things.. probably not far enough out to have really seen it.

I have seen people, who 6m-1y after leaving, then have rogers come to them at that time, for a digital box they never returned, etc.. so it could take time for it to hit the books so to speak.

That is my worry with them.. that people beleive they are 'free'.. as in you own given to you free.
Really, its almost a free rental.
(would almost be better to be a 1 line on the bill for each, each month, at $0.)

I'm Here A Lot

For my needs I would actully prefer the DTA 170.

This is for a nursing home. Currently the Flat screen TV is hooked up directly to the wall.

We have over 100 connections, and we pay over a $1000 to Rogers every month.

The rogers cable has HD signal running through it, and all of our TV are HD TV, so it don't make sense to continue with analog format. The reason Rogers is forcing everyone to get the Digital Adapters is because they are stopping the tranmission of many of the analog channel.

The DTA 50 and DTA 170 are exactly the same in everyway except DTA 170 has another option of HDMI as well.

We don't want the regual Rogers cable boxes such as scientific atlanta, or the nextbox (cisco), as the are way to complicated, and cost way too much. We are already paying so much for cable. We also don't want any of the pay per view features that they offer. We would prefer a dumb box with HD like DTA 170.

As for the DTA 170 not having access to the higher channel, we are only intrested in getting channel below 100 in HD.

such as channel: 44 The Comedy Network (East) HD,  45 TELETOON HD, 46 HGTV HD, 47 Peachtree TV HD, 48 Turner Classic Movies

All these channel are broadcast as HD, however it is the Adapter/Cable box that decreases the quality. DTA 170 has the option of HDMI out so the quality of the picture does not decrease.

However whether Rogers will offer the DTA 170 digital adapters is the question. It makes more sense from a greedy corporate view to not offer DTA 170, and force any customers who want HD to pay 10 to 15 dollars rental fee, plus you can also sell your customer pay per view, and other services.

p.s. @gdkitty A regular DTA 50 of DTA 170 do have access to higher channel, as Lobby Watch Channel 1 is on channel 988 (from Rogers website). Rogers intentionally disabled higher channels so they can push more expensive cable boxes/packages.