cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHANGE

pcolbra1958
I've Been Around

PRIVATEI HAVE RESENTLY ALLOW PERSONS TO CONNECT THROUGH MY HUB ..AND NOW NEED TO PUT A STOP TO IT IS THERE A WAY TO CHANGE MY HUB NUMBER.. SO THEY CAN NO LONGER ACSESS IT

***Edited labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: CHANGE

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
You should be able to log into the admin for the hub and change the password, etc, which would prevent them from using it

Re: CHANGE (Security of bandwidth)

BruceN44
I've Been Here Awhile

As an electronic technician of about 50 years exposute to technology, the answer given here about accessing the options of your hub is a matter of basic networking, but considering that it is said that 5-% of thr routers (likely more what you really have than a hub), are returned because basic users "cannot:" configure them gives us the importance of...

"The Benefits are in the Details!"

or, from some 5000 years before Christ, it was said otherwise by the ancient Greek muse, Alexander Pope:

"Drink deep, or taste not, of thePyrrean font of knowledge!"

... which really says the same circumstantial and inexorable fact of nature.

but so many people "cut off their noses despite their faces!

That said, another bit of detail:

Executable capacity exists in 3 basic categories:

1) Hardware: The physical circuitry and assoaiated physical provisions of equip[ment.

2) Software:   The executable code that resides on a hard drive or comparable media, writable by the salient operating system.

3) Firmware: also executable code which usually resides on a microchip (or V.L.S.I. topology) and may or may not be upgradable electrically (depending on whether it resides on a simple PROM, or an Eprom or EEprom and can be flashed.)

Now that I have made the terms clear, most configurations for routers, managed switches, extenders, bridges, etc. (all same being networking products) are firmware. Generally their options are set with a normal browser using a "firmware website" in the firmware of these devices. Generally, they all  are compliant to the fundamental facts of networking, although each manufacturer likes to put his own "cosmetic touches" to this. Note: While some graphic "front ends" are needed to make the firmware useable, the "manufacturers' art" of same can also act to create some degree of proprietary brainwashing or strategized familiarity which seeks to deter the user from cross-brand generic understanding...

Caveat Emtor!

Did I say "Details" ?

Such be said cause!

Added to that, Canada has a relativelty new O.E.M. (AKA original equipment manufacturer) who has a nice mobile internet router.

This is the Mofi, from Mofinetwork.

My Mofi story:

Note: This is a hardware anf firmware sroty. It does not mention the associated service. That is a separate topic.

Back in October of 2012, I had purchased (outright) a Rogers LTE Rocket stick for just under $200.00. I don't buy this stuff with an agreement (AKA buying on time or credit).

However, at the time, I did no realize that all of these sticks download windows specifc code into the computer to which they are attached as soon ans they are plugged in. This was no happy scene.

By the time I had had the chance to evaluate the stick, the return period was already over. all rogers would do was to sell me a Rocket hub at over $500.00 - exhorbitant!

My Laptop is loaded with Fedora (linux), not Windows. Neither Fedora native nor Wine (an optional part of Linux made to handle Windows executables) would recognize this properly and work. I now had a $200 white elephant ;-(

Then, one winter day, with my Laptop equiment in tow, I visited the local Canada Computers store to look areound. Scouring the shelves to see what was really there, independently for myself and thos who may ask me questions at random, I found the Mofi. The cost was $100.00 with a 5%restocing charge if I had to return it.

This looked as if it had promise, and if it didn't do the job, $% as a cost for the experiment was no great loss, so I gought it on the spot.

I then took it over to my favourite hamburger joint where I knew I could plug in for power and, being famished at the time, had an ample supper while testing the new rig. It worked like a charm! The Mofi absorbed thefirmware processor burden, not only avoiding the compatibility problem, but also avoiding burdening the laptop processor with that same burden!

Added to this, I can get another LTE stick, have it unlocked, and use it with SIMs fromother providers. This is especially important in the u.S. where there are so many providers, and the cost of the service from an american ISP is a fraction of what it is on Canada, where communoications services are heavily overtaxed by theh C.R.T.C.

More of the same dramatic$$$...

I have a Canadian friend who is a class 1 professional driver and an FAA certified commercial pilot.

If he were to use such a setup in a truck destined fromMontreal to El Paso Texas and back, he would be about 4 hours in Canada,

5 days to El Paso, drop his load,

abojut a day or a day and a half in the southern U.S, to find a return load to pay his return fuel costs,

another 5 dfays back to Canada

and finally another 4 hours to Montreal.

summary:

Of about 2 21/2 weeks for the trip, he is only in Canada for some 8 hours.

Given the cost of mobile internet service in Canada, do we really think he is interested in a Canadian ISP?

Instead, even if he does have a Canadian internet stick, he will also have an American provider's account and stick. As soon as he crosses the border, or very shortly thereafter, he will power down, swap the stick into the Mofi, and resstart on the American account, Canadian taxes good bye!

This is also helpful there as the local WI-fi services at many truckstops are paid, proprietary services and may be overloaded by the number of concurrent users. (Of course, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do")

Now, finally, I hope I have "routed" some people into a better route!

Re: CHANGE (Security of bandwidth) (and "I've Been around".)

BruceN44
I've Been Here Awhile

I got onto this thread because oif an email from Rogers saying I had been promoted to "I''ve been around...

As it happens, being a person who loves languages, diversity and cultural variety, as well as public speaking, the expression "I've Been Around" reminds me of aone of my speeches in the years I was in Toastmasters.

To a unilingual English audience:

"Y SI "Ay mucho Camina!"

But if you had heard, like that Unilingual English audoience, the parlance or in this case "Tone of Voice" in which that is delivered, followedby this remark...

And Rhetorically did anyone here (in that audience) need to understand one word of spanish to realxe that there's more to it than the mere words?

following a poignant pause...

"Well, I guess you get the idea! Translated: "Yes! I've sort of been a long road!!"

As you peruse my posts, does this not say so in the parlance?

The word Parlance is truly a legitimate english word. It came from France in the historic time of British King William of Normandy, as did many English words. However the word has flallen into too muc obsucity in modern North america, as have so many other true Engish words.

In french the counterpart << langage >> is commonplace and not obscure. The French know its importance to life and human communication.

Ditto for Spanish where the word is "Idioma".

And rhetorically, how many more languages have commonplace counterparts?

"He who hath ears to hear, let him hear!" but ditto for all out senses and sensibilities. they exist for life purposes!