CGN3ROG Static IPs limited to 10 & many other issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

CGN3ROG Static IPs limited to 10 & many other issues

Model: CGN3ROG

Hardware Rev.: 1A

Firmware Rev.: 4.2.4.5

I have been having issues with the CGN3ROG. I took it to the store and swapped it thinking I had bad hardware, but the symptoms are the same with the new one.

List of problems:

• I cannot have more than 10 static IPs.
  • If I add an 11th and save it will act as if it has saved and then log me out of the web interface a few seconds later.
  • Web interface is extremely slow on some pages (if you go to Basic>Port Forwarding and then click another tab, it takes 1-3 minutes to change pages - this happens on IE, Chrome, Chrome for Android).
  • Basic>DMZ will also cause this freeze.
  • Occasionally the static IPs will not be handed out and if I reboot the CGN3ROG it will work again.
  • I cannot assign more than 1 static IP to a host name - the web page says "There is already a device with the same host name!"... Ever heard of multiple NICs? Or a wired & wireless card in a single computer?

I am assuming that this is due to bad quality control with the firmware. My original device auto updated itself to the firmware above back in January and it has been flakier since. Anyone else having these problems?

I have the CGN3ROG with unlimited data & the 100/10 package because I am a power user. I can't seem to make this work any way I try (bridge mode & buying an additional router defeats the purpose, but it sounds like the only solution).

Any input others have would be great.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: CGN3ROG Static IPs limited to 10 & many other issues

I found a workaround: use another router for DHCP & DNS (I don't own another 5 GHz capable router at the moment).

Thanks for the suggestions.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Welcome to the Community @CustomerByForce

Thanks for providing such detailed information!

Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to add more then 10  IP's due to software limitations. Sorry to hear about the delay when accessing pages within the router administration, I would recommend allowing the pages a brief moment to fully load before switching to another page.

We are always looking to improve our Internet products and services, so your feedback is appreciated.

Feel free to chime in CommunitySmiley Happy

RogersAsif

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

At least some of the delays.. like the Basic to any other sub page...
is due to bad design.. where they choose to LOAD the full clients table on that page.   it wont let you change it, until the clients table is fully loaded.

For your last point.... while i DONT use this feature.. i BELEIVE that is just an identifying name?  I dont THINK it needs to be exact..  The only thing it really should look at is the MAC address.
(at least that is how most other routers work)

Really all and all, its just a limitation on the firmware / software itself.
Its really BASIC.. its on par with your cheap $30-50 cheap stand alone routers.

Should we have to buy a 3rd party router when one is provided?  Not necessarily.
But again, they are only providing you with something BASIC... its not really sold that it can do more.
But bridging is the way MOST power users go.
For the fact alone, that they then have MORE control over what they want to do... as well as as improve just about everything else like wireless quality, etc.

If you have devices which DONT leave the house.. you can always set the IP at the DEVICE level.. to free up assigned ones.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Gdkitty, thanks for your response. Loading all of the clients was the reason I thought the page was freezing. This may not be the proper place for the request but I'm hoping that by pointing it out the problem will eventually be fixed in a firmware update. The "brief moment" mentioned by RogersAsif is more like a "moderate amount of time."

The reason that the identifying name is important to me is so I can reference clients by name and not IP, other DNS allows for this. This functionality sometimes works and other times it's on lunch break. (And a custom hosts file would be going too far as a workaround IMO).

Another problem I have with this being so basic is that even the cheap $30-$50 routers will allow you to enter up to the 254 client maximum imposed by a Class C subnet. The limitation makes no sense to me. If I were to set the lease time on DHCP for this router it would remember more than 10, but the problem occurs when it needs to be power cycled (or power outage).

I have been assigning some of my clients static IPs at the device to work around this, but I find this to be a really pathetic offering if this is their 'best.' I will eventually be switching over to bridge mode once I can budget in a new router. My current one only offers Wireless N in 2.4 GHz, which is the only reason I made the upgrade to the Rogers Advanced package - for 5 GHz.

I miss having a DD-WRT router anyway. Nice to filter out ads at the gateway.

RogersAsif: please pass along some of this feedback. I don't feel it is unreasonable to expect the above from any router.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You have found some better 30-50 range routers than me.

I have owned in the past a few, as well as set up many for clients (who are really cheap :P)... and ran into MANY which do not even allow for DHCP reservation at all.

As for the naming.. again.. as far as i am aware.. in the case of on the CGN3.. its just an identifier there.. doesnt really have anything to do with the specific host itself, etc.  It should not effect the actual host name of the device that is regularily seen on the network by itself.
I was just saying, for your example where a device has more than one NIC in it... you could do  Myhost-A and Myhost-B or something for the two connections for it.

PERSONALLY.. even though i have about 15 devices with static addresses at home.. and i am using the CGN3 in its gatway mode (just using my own router as an AP for wireless only).. i dont use the reservation at all.  Its all done on the device level.
90% of those are all devices which do not leave the house.. so can more easily be hard coded.
But for one that isnt... i just run a batch file to change the registry back and forth as i need for the entries..
I found, when i had the DHCP reservation for it, it would actually take LONGER to obtain the address, vs it hard coded.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @CustomerByForce

The loading times should be improved in a future firmware release. I will pass your feedback on as well Smiley Happy

RogersAsif

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I found a workaround: use another router for DHCP & DNS (I don't own another 5 GHz capable router at the moment).

Thanks for the suggestions.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Nevermind. The previous is not a solution.

Using an alternate DHCP & DNS server works, but port forwards are no longer recognized.

I also read in another forum discussion about this router that it only allows 9 port forwards.

This is ridiculous. 10 static IPs & 9 port forwards. Intentionally limited by Rogers because they can. Until my contract runs out and I can switch I will be taking advantage of my unlimited package and 100/10 by scripting large file downloads into null just to waste the bandwidth.