cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CGN3ROG - Can't browse network shares by default?

Wyldcard
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi all.  I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to resort to creating an account here to get an answer to this, but the Rogers support doesn't support anything other than basic connectivity issues.

I recently upgraded to the hybrid fibre package, which necessitated me getting a CGN3ROG gateway.  My previous setup allowed my devices to browse to my main computer's network shares so that I could stream music/movies/whatever throughout my house, but the new gateway blocks network traffic.  Can't ping by hostname or IP via either wired or wireless connection (definitely not over wireless.. can't verify ping-by-IP over wired right now, but I do recall that ping by hostname failed).  No changes have been made on any of the connected devices, so I know that the issue lies with the router config.

The modem manual doesn't seem to explicitly define where in the browser UI I can set to allow local traffic to pass, and frankly, the UI for the modem is brutally slow, sometimes being outright unresponsive.

I think I have a spare draft-N router sitting in a box somewhere, so I could just disable all routing on the CGN3 and use the other router to handle the real work, but if there is a way for me to enable local traffic without having to upheave my network, I would prefer it that way.  

Thanks in advance, and I hope that this hasn't been asked ad nauseum.  I did do a quick search here to look for similar threads.

***edited labels***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: CGN3ROG - Can't browse network shares by default?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That doesnt sound quite right..

it SHOULD work.

Compared to most, i run my CGN3 in gateway stock mode... the only difference being that i use a 3rd party router for my wireless. (built in wireless disabled)

I have two PCs connected wired to the CGN3.. then two laptops connected into the wireless on my AP, which then connect to the CGN3.
I am sitting here right now, and pinging my server machine.  I can ping it via hostname or IP just fine.
All those machines are set to STATIC addresses.. but that shouldnt make a difference at all.

The only other setting i have changed, was the firewall level to miniumum.. but that shouldnt change internal.

Are there any other settings you have set individually on each PC? (static IP's, DNS changes, etc?)

Wyldcard
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the response.

Both the laptop and the desktop are set to the normal stuff (DHCP and DNS automatic).  The router is set to use Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  I removed the Google DNS and went to auto, and my desktop can ping the laptop by IP but not hostname.  Oddly, the laptop cannot ping the desktop by IP.

The router is using software v4.2.4.5, if that matters.

I am on the same firmware

My router is set to the default DNS..

Only thing i can think is try the firewall change.

I am having the same problem. I had a cable modem until a week ago then I called Rogers and was told that for a $1 more a month, I could get a better package along with cable modem/router (CGN3ROG) . Ever since I plugged it in, I have not been able to ping any PC or NAS by name. I have the Firewall set to Minimum, the version fo the Firmware is 4.2.4.6. I have removed all other Routers and swithches. Connect a laptop, desktop and NAS directly to the CGN3ROG and cannot connect to a share using the hostname, nor can I ping using a hostname.

Called Roges and they say taht for a fee they can make it work for me. That's not right!!! I am thinking of moving to Bell.

Any one have a suggestion before I do something rash?

Maple11
I've Been Around

Had similar problem with a HTPC set to static IP connected via Lan through a CGN3ACSMR....

Once I changed it to DHCP and locked down that assigned IP it seems to have fixed it and working perfectly.

Thanks for the suggestion.  All my PCs and appliances are set to get their IP addresses from the Rogers CGN3 DHCP box.  Over the years, I have had one or two Rogers cable modem boxes and many different wireless routers and never did I have to build a Host table (which is the solution I am thinking of implementing) on all my PCs. My wireless routers were able to resolve those for me.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have noticed off and on, that host name resolution doesnt seem to work for me either..
(i am guessing its a bug in the firmware 😞 )

You should still be able to access the devices, by putting in the IP address.
May depend on the software.. some may specifically want host name only.. but generally you can also put in the ip address in there and it should work.

Thanks   that is an excellent suggestion. I should have mentioned that I am able to do that but am looking for the same functionality that I had 3rd party wireless routers.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While it SHOULD be there.. as i mentioned.. it does seem flakey sometimes..

But all in all.. you can STILL use your own router, if you prefer its functionality.

You can put the modem into BRIDGE MODE.. efectively turning it into a modem only, and then use your own router as before.

(and should not effect your internet service in any way, speed wise, etc.. UNLESS its that your on a 100+mbps plan and only have a router with say only an 10/100 port, etc.)

Spoke to a tech last night who told me he could make it work but I had to pay some sort of Techxpert fee. That really ticked me off.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Techxpert.. is extended support through rogers.
Beyond is the intnenet up? Working? Can devices connect to it and connect to the internet?
THats all the basic tech support helps with... any other computer or networking help.. goes above and beyond.. and can pay for via techxpert (well.. generally can.. assuming its something they can fix).

In this case.. i dont think it IS something they can fix.
Its just something thats above the basic techs level.. and would fall into techxpert..  weither they COULD fix it or not is then the question.

This makes me wonder if there is a "Client Isolated Enable/Disable" checkbox that can be flipped in the modem.  If you can't access devices as you had before, and the only thing that has changed is the modem, then, I think the only explanation is possibly an address change due to different LAN IPs that exist now, or, a change in the permissions that are set in the modem.  You might have to remap the directories.  And, if you do that, and it still doesn't work, then I think that the chief suspect is the modem permissions which are only accessible by the the techs.

For my part, I am sure there is something. I was at a neighbour’s trying to fix a wireless issue with the same type of box. Whatever changes I tried to make (going from Auto channel to a specific channel), did not seem to take effect. The minute I called Rogers and they made the same changes as I did, magically it worked. So I do believe that the Rogers and the Customer admin users are not equal.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most definately.

The options which WE have access too, and what they do, is a big difference.

There are a bunch i think we SHOULD have.. which would do no harm.. but we dont 😞

All in all, why its usually better to run your OWN wireless router in conjuction with the rogers unit as a modem.

The 'all in one' is really only for basic basic users in the end.